Median UVA Bidlist - Critique

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Median UVA Bidlist - Critique

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:08 am

Thanks for the Advice.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Median UVA Bidlist - Critique

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:12 am

I would remove GDC, Latham, SullCrom, Covington, Cravath and WilmerHale. You probably don't have a shot at these.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:19 am

This is WAY too aggressive. You don't really have much of a shot at Cleary, Skadden, Paul Weiss, Simpson, (definitely not) CSM, DPW, Debevoise, SullCrom, Covington and a few others...

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:23 am

Bronck wrote:This is WAY too aggressive. You don't really have much of a shot at Cleary, Skadden, Paul Weiss, Simpson, (definitely not) CSM, DPW, Debevoise, SullCrom, Covington and a few others...

There are a limited number of NYC employers that come to UVa's OGI.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:37 am

If you absolutely "have" to work in NY for family reasons, I guess its fine since you don't have any options. But, you're diminishing your chances, potentially significantly, at getting a job by having this restriction so if there is anyway around it, I would advise you to do so.

NY is very competitive. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's ESPECIALLY going to be competitive for someone at median because so many of the firms that do have extremely large summer classes are not in your range. The firms that are in your range have less spots and more people bidding.

Long story short, you're risking a lot here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:31 am

Why are your top 5's your top 5 - just curious.

Also, the elite firms you put in the 30s and 40s - you're never gonna get those from there. You aren't gonna be one of the 14 preselects for them so I'd either raise them or consider other firms. Philly is only 2 hours from your family - I'd consider some Philly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Why are your top 5's your top 5 - just curious.

Also, the elite firms you put in the 30s and 40s - you're never gonna get those from there. You aren't gonna be one of the 14 preselects for them so I'd either raise them or consider other firms. Philly is only 2 hours from your family - I'd consider some Philly.

I'll add 7-9 Philly Firms in there. My top 5s are my top 5s because they have the largest class sizes within the GPA range that I fall within With the exception of White Casey and Sidley Austin

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why are your top 5's your top 5 - just curious.

I'll add 7-9 Philly Firms in there. My top 5s are my top 5s because they have the largest class sizes within the GPA range that I fall within With the exception of White Casey and Sidley Austin

Not Bingham

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:34 am

Bronck wrote:This is WAY too aggressive. You don't really have much of a shot at Cleary, Skadden, Paul Weiss, Simpson, (definitely not) CSM, DPW, Debevoise, SullCrom, Covington and a few others...

What are you talking about? OP's top 25 consists mostly of v50 type firms, not v10s or something. Who cares if s/he has S&C at #60 or something?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:

What are you talking about? OP's top 25 consists mostly of v50 type firms, not v10s or something. Who cares if s/he has S&C at #60 or something?

Okay, go ahead and completely waste bids if you'd like.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:

LOL at thinking that all v50 firms are less selective than v10 firms. These aren't the law school rankings. Nor should you be aiming for simply the highest vault firm you can get.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:14 am

Also UVA, Also targeting NYC. Your list is WAY more aggressive than mine and I'm ~top 15-20%

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:29 am

It seems like you're bidding the selective firms at the end because you figure those bids aren't important anyway.

I'm not sure how your OCI works, but usually if the firm has open slots after bidding you can sign up afterwards-- so why wouldn't you put the bids to use (on lower V100 firms) and sign up for an S&C interview for the hell of it later?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:31 am

Bronck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Okay, go ahead and completely waste bids if you'd like.

So what kind of firms should s/he have in the top 25? Firms like Stroock, Mayer Brown, Morgan Lewis, Wilkie Farr, Katten Muchin, Dechert, King & Spalding, and Schulte are the kind of firms I'd be aiming for if I were at median, and OP's got them.

It's odd that Cleary is the reach s/he has at 11, but that's all I can see. What kind of firms should there be instead? Is it that hard to get NYC from UVA? Honestly curious.

WalnutSurprise

Postby WalnutSurprise » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also UVA, Also targeting NYC. Your list is WAY more aggressive than mine and I'm ~top 15-20%

How so? This person has hit pretty much all of the NYC firms in his/her range and ranked them on the higher end. There are a lot of reaches, but they're mostly at the bottom and as Tom Joad said, there aren't that many more NYC firms to choose from. That said, I think OP should substitute the very selective firms for another city because unemployment is a risk.

Wahoos

Postby Wahoos » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Because UVA is 2/3 preselect. For example, OP has a 0% chance getting Cravath at #39. They will preselect 14 people, and those people will not be at median

Makes more sense to take stuff like that out and throw a bid at Philly or something, as someone else mentioned

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Are you in NYC right now for your 1L summer? You should be hustling and hitting up as many NYC UVA alums as possible. Median friend did this last year and secured multiple interviews and ultimately offers in this fashion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:01 pm

OP Here:

Added PA / CT firms and took out a lot of the super reaches.

I am in NYC for the summer and have been hitting up Receptions and have also contacted several Alums.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:04 pm

WalnutSurprise wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also UVA, Also targeting NYC. Your list is WAY more aggressive than mine and I'm ~top 15-20%

How so? This person has hit pretty much all of the NYC firms in his/her range and ranked them on the higher end. There are a lot of reaches, but they're mostly at the bottom and as Tom Joad said, there aren't that many more NYC firms to choose from. That said, I think OP should substitute the very selective firms for another city because unemployment is a risk.

Preselect. I think this person had 15-20 wasted bids. There are enough NYC/Philly Firms paying 120-145 to fill an entire bid list. These are the firms I think OP should bid after the target market firms.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here:

Added PA / CT firms and took out a lot of the super reaches.

I am in NYC for the summer and have been hitting up Receptions and have also contacted several Alums.

good start, but that's all--you should try to have coffee or better with at least 10 alums before the summer is out. Understand that you are not at all guaranteed to find a job through OGI at median. govern yourself accordingly

Return to “Legal Employment”