Interview w/ a firm before OCI...?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Interview w/ a firm before OCI...?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Has anyone received an interview w/ a firm (one that you bid for OCI) before OCI starts by emailing the firm recruiter with whom you have previously contacted? (Read: exchanged emails and had a phone call)

Just wondering if its possible to get an interview before OCI...
Thx!

User avatar
captainwasabi09
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Interview w/ a firm before OCI...?

Postby captainwasabi09 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:57 pm

To my understanding, that's not Kosher. You can get interviews with firms before OCI, but only with firms who are not participating in your school's OCI.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: Interview w/ a firm before OCI...?

Postby jkpolk » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:03 pm

captainwasabi09 wrote:To my understanding, that's not Kosher. You can get interviews with firms before OCI, but only with firms who are not participating in your school's OCI.

Correct me if I'm wrong!


you're wrong

potted plant
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Re: Interview w/ a firm before OCI...?

Postby potted plant » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Hmm as far as I know there's nothing wrong/non-kosher about doing this. I have an interview with a firm that will be coming to my OCI. Go ahead and ask. Many firms will just tell you to hold off until OCI, but it shouldn't hurt you to try to do a pre-OCI interview.

User avatar
captainwasabi09
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Interview w/ a firm before OCI...?

Postby captainwasabi09 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Ok! I think that might just be my school's policy. Sorry for the false alarm!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interview w/ a firm before OCI...?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:11 pm

potted plant wrote:Hmm as far as I know there's nothing wrong/non-kosher about doing this. I have an interview with a firm that will be coming to my OCI. Go ahead and ask. Many firms will just tell you to hold off until OCI, but it shouldn't hurt you to try to do a pre-OCI interview.

I didn't outright ask for an interview... I wonder if I should have? I made it clear that I wanted to summer w/ them next year.

Edit: I guess I did... In my attached CL, I gave my contact info if they wished to schedule an interview...

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Interview w/ a firm before OCI...?

Postby TaipeiMort » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:53 pm

captainwasabi09 wrote:Ok! I think that might just be my school's policy. Sorry for the false alarm!


Don't be dumb. Most schools have this policy. Ignore the policy. Certain firms will be less available to you at OCI. Take these now.

The prototypical ignore-your-school guideline firm are those in your home market which you have an opportunity to see during the summer. Some markets have biglaw satellites which only take 5 or 6 people. They will likely fill up on one or two regional/ regional T14 kids. This leaves maybe 3 or 4 spots for the entire country. While they may be coming to your OCI at NYU or wherever, they will also be going to Harvard and Yale and Stanford and Columbia and Chicago's OCI. Some schools will have OCI before your school.

Also, firms may be more willing to take a chance on you during the summer because they know that they only have to give you a 30 day offer window per NALP. Therefore, they won't have to worry about you YPing them and taking another bigger firm in town through OCI. This can only increase your chances.

User avatar
captainwasabi09
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Interview w/ a firm before OCI...?

Postby captainwasabi09 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:15 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
captainwasabi09 wrote:Ok! I think that might just be my school's policy. Sorry for the false alarm!


Don't be dumb. Most schools have this policy. Ignore the policy. Certain firms will be less available to you at OCI. Take these now.

The prototypical ignore-your-school guideline firm are those in your home market which you have an opportunity to see during the summer. Some markets have biglaw satellites which only take 5 or 6 people. They will likely fill up on one or two regional/ regional T14 kids. This leaves maybe 3 or 4 spots for the entire country. While they may be coming to your OCI at NYU or wherever, they will also be going to Harvard and Yale and Stanford and Columbia and Chicago's OCI. Some schools will have OCI before your school.

Also, firms may be more willing to take a chance on you during the summer because they know that they only have to give you a 30 day offer window per NALP. Therefore, they won't have to worry about you YPing them and taking another bigger firm in town through OCI. This can only increase your chances.


Aight, I hear you. I think you're right. As an aside, firms in my home market are not coming to my school's OCI though (HYSCC). If OP is in a similar situation where his home market doesn't go to his school's OCI, he can still contact those firms without ignoring any policy, if it exists for his school.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.