TTT to Top 20 Transfer OCI chances

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
entreri0969

TTT to Top 20 Transfer OCI chances

Postby entreri0969 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:19 pm

I finished moderately inside the top 10% of my TTT and transfered to a Top 20 school. Invited to TTT Law Review, a few calis, and a state judge externship gig for the summer + 2 years retail management experience prior to law school. What should I be bidding at/do i have a decent chance (obv pending interviews) with firms that are looking at Top 20% from new school? I really want a big/midsized firm.

Thank you for the feedback.

rad lulz

Re: TTT to Top 20 Transfer OCI chances

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:24 pm

Need to know what school, what markets, where are you from, any WE, any IP, are you black, etc.

But srsly "what are my chances" threads for legal jobs are actually pretty silly

What are you gonna do if I say you have shit chances, retake 1L?

Just apply until you do (or don't) get a job

entreri0969

Postby entreri0969 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:16 pm

If you told me I had shit chances I would come to the realization that I didn't fall far enough from the bowl and become a stay at home son.

Moderately inside the Top 10%. Transferred from Chicago TTT to UCLA/USC. Business Degree from good West Coast Bschool, 2 years of retail management for Fortune 500 company, Judge externship, No diversity. Extended family and network in LA.

Im more trying to gage what range I should target for OCI. I dont think its silly to try to put myself in a room that I actually have a chance at getting a job I want as opposed to wasting time for both parties.

guano

Postby guano » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:24 pm

The general rule I've gotten from many sources is that employers look at your old school's rankings. If they take top 10% at the TTT, you're in range. If they only take top 1% at the TTT they won't take you after the transfer.

For firms that don't hire at your old school you could try a rough conversion.
As an example, firm X takes top 10% at the TTT, and top 33% at the T20, then you should stick with firms that take top 33% at the T20.

You might want to play it safe and bid on every firm that accepted top 10% at the TTT. You know they'll be interested.

Disclaimer: this is based on anecdotes and logic. I have not, nor ever will, attend OCI anywhere. But I did speak to many hiring partners, recruiters, etc

Postby 20160810 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:25 pm

I think your odds might be OK, but it's hard to say. From what I've heard firms usually treat transfers as though they were still at their old school, so if top-10% at your TTT was good enough for a firm gig, you might be golden.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:38 pm

It's a bit of a crapshoot for transfers. Firms have taken transfers at the new school even though they wouldn't even recruit at the old school. That said massmail + network like crazy.

Return to “Legal Employment”