Linklaters (NYC office) worth a bid without ties to UK?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
redsox550

Linklaters (NYC office) worth a bid without ties to UK?

Postby redsox550 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:38 am

Have international internship experience but no ties to the UK. Never been there, and wouldnt want to live there long term for at least a few years out of law school, maybe down the road. Anyhow do i have a shot at getting a CB without any ties to UK? I am little unsure how LL works, with the office being in NYC but UK based, do they force u to spend time in UK?

AntipodeanPhil

Re: Linklaters (NYC office) worth a bid without ties to UK?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:31 am

redsox550 wrote:do they force u to spend time in UK?

Yes. And they force you to eat bangers and mash with mushy peas, while drinking warm beer. It's all part of the summer associate program:

--LinkRemoved--

On a serious note, while this is complete speculation, I'd imagined that having strong British connections could hurt you (or at least not help) at the NYC office. After all, they need to convince their clients that they are experts in US law, which is probably hard to do if everyone has an English accent.

Would be nice if someone who actually knew stuff would comment, though.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:40 am

Haha only a rising 2L so take this with a grain of salt, but with OCI coming up done a BUNCH of research. The magic circle firms only like to see an international interest/experience (e.g international work this summer is great) and maybe language skills, but you certainly dont need to have connections with their home office. You usually get the option to split with one of their overseas offices but I don't think this is a mandatory thing by any means. But, yes they do make you eat mash and bangers.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:56 am

yeah they don't care. Just show a strong interest in intl work OR some international experience/foreign language

Return to “Legal Employment”