talking to 1L firm about participating in fall OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

talking to 1L firm about participating in fall OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm a rising 2L at a school ranked in the 60s. I attended the school because I don't mind working in its smaller, midwestern market and because I was offered full tuition + a partial living expenses stipend. My debt will be ~21k when I graduate (+20k from undergrad).

I finished the year in the top 25% of my class. I was fortunate enough to obtain a "summer associate" position at a regional big law firm (60 attorneys) in my home market, which is within 200 miles of my law school. I am really enjoying my summer so far, and I feel like I'm getting valuable practical and networking experience. I am able to work very closely with attorneys, and the hours are pretty much 830-530. The office is typically deserted by 6. I am paid $1500/week, and am told that new associates start in the $70-90 range. My mid-summer evaluation went well, and at my end of summer evaluation, I expect the hiring committee to extend me an offer for a second summer with the firm. Because this firm is regional, its hiring is need-based. In the past several years, they've hired two attorneys from a summer class of four.

I'd like to try my hand at Fall OCI to see if I might be able to find a firm job in my law school's larger market. I'd much prefer to live there than in my home market. I largely got my job this summer because I worked at a large insurance company my undergrad summers and became close with the company's general counsel who does a great deal of business with attorneys both in my home and school markets. This past spring I had several informational interviews with firms in my school's market who did not hire 1Ls, but DO hire 2Ls.

I guess I have a few questions: Am I crazy for focusing my efforts anywhere but the firm I'm working with now? I just want a clearer guarantee of post-graduation employment! How should I approach this conversation with my current firm? I am really enjoying my time there and don't want to rock the boat.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Re: talking to 1L firm about participating in fall OCI?

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Bid for OCI, get the offer to return, then make the decision.

Return to “Legal Employment”