OCI bidding questions: practice groups and target market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI bidding questions: practice groups and target market

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:44 pm

So, I'm most interested in privacy law (but I don't really want to go the PI/gov't way), which is kindof niche for biglaw. Most of the firms I've researched have 5-15 attorneys on it.

I'm not really interested in leaving the SF/SV area - family's here, S.O.'s here, etc, but I've noticed that a significant number of Biglaw firms have the head of their very small privacy practice located somewhere else (most oddly, one of them was in Rhode Island...) and I'm wondering whether I should even bother bidding those firms for OCI if I'm going to highlight my interest in privacy compliance. Often, there are 1-2 attorneys at the SF/SV offices listed as having privacy practice contact, but it's not the bulk of the privacy attorneys for most firms.

Mostly, I don't want to be in an interview looking like I haven't done my homework on the firm. If it's common for a S.A. to work in an office that has a small but still present contingent working in their target practice area, I'm not going to worry about it, but if I really should only be trying to work in the office where the practice area is biggest, I don't want to bother bidding firms that I'll have to go to TX or RI to actually work with.

I know that I probably won't get to do much with a privacy group either way as a S.A. since it is such a small practice area in most firms, but I don't want to get shut out of privacy as a career path because I don't know much about being a S.A. I may not be able to go down such a niche road either way, but I'd like to give myself the best shot possible. Should I be bidding firms with the majority of their privacy practice located somewhere else, or should I just stick to firms that have most of it concentrated in SF/SV?

Return to “Legal Employment”