I wouldn't listen to 95 percent of the stuff here Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
johnpierce14

New

I wouldn't listen to 95 percent of the stuff here

Post by johnpierce14 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:34 pm

There are some helpful threads - like the procedural/mechanical aspects of looking for a job - but don't believe anything you believe on these forums. It's just fear mongering at its most disgusting level. This is the fox news of internet forums.

I was caught up in here for a while, then things worked out excellent for me (top 30 school, bottom half) and I feel FOOLISH for being stressed out by what I would read here on a nightly basis.

Unbelievable. These threads in the legal employment section epitomize why law school sucks, you're a masochist if you read too much into what some of these people claim.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: I wouldn't listen to 95 percent of the stuff here

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:35 pm

johnpierce14 wrote:There are some helpful threads - like the procedural/mechanical aspects of looking for a job - but don't believe anything you believe on these forums. It's just fear mongering at its most disgusting level. This is the fox news of internet forums.

I was caught up in here for a while, then things worked out excellent for me (top 30 school, bottom half) and I feel FOOLISH for being stressed out by what I would read here on a nightly basis.

Unbelievable. These threads in the legal employment section epitomize why law school sucks, you're a masochist if you read too much into what some of these people claim.
Anecdote is anecdotal.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:37 pm

johnpierce14 wrote:There are some helpful threads - like the procedural/mechanical aspects of looking for a job - but don't believe anything you believe on these forums. It's just fear mongering at its most disgusting level. This is the fox news of internet forums.

cool

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:40 pm

K

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:41 pm

Agreed.

Everyone said getting a job "ITE" would be hard, but then I wound up first in my class and it was really easy. I can't believe all the fear mongering... everybody should just do what I did: be first in your class. That's really all it took for me.

Now I work for a great firm. Sure, I have a ton of friends who are unemployed or underemployed, and sure it's dramatically worse at lower ranked schools than at top schools. But I really think everything could have worked out for people if they'd just been first in their class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:42 pm

oh

johnpierce14

New

Post by johnpierce14 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Well if you guys hadn't guessed this thread wasn't really directed at the people who waste their time doing exactly what I criticized, but more for the people who stop by these forums in a moment of weakness and actually believe the stuff they read here, but your cunty little responses have definitely verified my initial instinct that I'm just wasting my time.

Good luck future colleagues, you are all honorable men and women of the U.S. legal system.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:45 pm

johnpierce14 wrote:Well if you guys hadn't guessed this thread wasn't really directed at the people who waste their time doing exactly what I criticized, but more for the people who stop by these forums in a moment of weakness and actually believe the stuff they read here, but your cunty little responses have definitely verified my initial instinct that I'm just wasting my time.

Good luck future colleagues, you are all honorable men and women of the U.S. legal system.
lawschooltransparency.com

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:48 pm

johnpierce14 wrote:Well if you guys hadn't guessed this thread wasn't really directed at the people who waste their time doing exactly what I criticized, but more for the people who stop by these forums in a moment of weakness and actually believe the stuff they read here, but your cunty little responses have definitely verified my initial instinct that I'm just wasting my time.

How many people from your school with your grades or better ( or worse ) got good jobs? Did you have prior experience or connections? Maybe instead of berating the posters here , you could give more data on how this worked out for you and others from your school.

LST is just numbers. Some actual facts of jobs from your school would be helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wbrother

Bronze

Post by wbrother » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:49 pm

This thread should be stickied.

johnpierce14

New

Post by johnpierce14 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:57 pm

There was nothing special about me..3.2 GPA, no connections, but had a good, earnest desire to become a lawyer and made a good impression at a small law firm and just received a full time offer before the holiday.

I'm not sure how the others in my class faired...I don't have any meaningful relationships with anyone in my class mostly because they remind me of the people on these forums. Some were certainly stand up guys, but I just went to class, learned, and got out. Not much else to it. I for one think anyone else with the same approach will be fine job wise, but more importantly won't have any sleepless nights or stressed filled days.

If you're set on Big Law, which I understand some people are, yeah, maybe you should be worried and ultra competitive...but then again the vast majority of lawyers do not work at Big Law, so it seems silly to think of that avenue as the only route a lawyer can take.

Obviously I'm slightly peeved and am operating with a chip on my shoulder, but I feel more "scammed" by some of the stuff I've read here than I do from paying 40k a year to my law school, for sure.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:59 pm

johnpierce14 wrote:There was nothing special about me..3.2 GPA, no connections, but had a good, earnest desire to become a lawyer and made a good impression at a small law firm and just received a full time offer before the holiday.

I'm not sure how the others in my class faired...I don't have any meaningful relationships with anyone in my class mostly because they remind me of the people on these forums. Some were certainly stand up guys, but I just went to class, learned, and got out. Not much else to it. I for one think anyone else with the same approach will be fine job wise, but more importantly won't have any sleepless nights or stressed filled days.

If you're set on Big Law, which I understand some people are, yeah, maybe you should be worried and ultra competitive...but then again the vast majority of lawyers do not work at Big Law, so it seems silly to think of that avenue as the only route a lawyer can take.

Obviously I'm slightly peeved and am operating with a chip on my shoulder, but I feel more "scammed" by some of the stuff I've read here than I do from paying 40k a year to my law school, for sure.
Congrats on getting lucky. You sound like a total asshole

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:00 pm

johnpierce14 wrote:There was nothing special about me..3.2 GPA, no connections, but had a good, earnest desire to become a lawyer and made a good impression at a small law firm and just received a full time offer before the holiday.

so you work in shitlaw?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:01 pm

what are your monthly loan payments

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:02 pm

I wouldn't listen to this thread.

johnpierce14

New

Post by johnpierce14 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm not really sure what is meant by shitlaw but the money is pretty good and the latest I've heard of an attorney leave the office is 7:30. I think it's pretty great, and you're just a silly cunt.

I'm paying about 1200 a month in student loans.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:05 pm

what does the phrase "anecdotal evidence" mean to you

please also define "special snowflake"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:07 pm

Pokemon wrote:I wouldn't listen to this thread.
Or at least 95% of the stuff in it

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:

Congrats on getting lucky. You sound like a total asshole
This

johnpierce14

New

Post by johnpierce14 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Anecdotal evidence is exactly what threads like these need.

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Wow, you are really edgy and daring to use the c-word on an internet forum. Twice! Can I have your number?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:20 pm

johnpierce14 wrote:Anecdotal evidence is exactly what threads like these need.
Why?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:23 pm

For small firms paying less than a McDonald's manager makes that may be true, but at big firms that pay enough to make law school worth it half the recruiters I've spoken with told me their firms had hard cutoffs, and the other half basically said that below a certain point it's not impossible, but you really aren't in contention

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:26 pm

johnpierce14 wrote:Anecdotal evidence is exactly what threads like these need.
Anecdotal evidence is the truth tls deserves, but not the one it needs right now

so we will hunt it, because it can take it

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:27 pm

I'm still laughing at this one: "don't believe anything you believe." That plus all the "cunt"-ing is pure gold. I think this poster is rather charming, in an irritating teenager sort of way.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”