Amazing midsummer review, bad GPA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Amazing midsummer review, bad GPA

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:19 am

I am externing for a Federal Judge right now and we just had our midsummer review. My clerk basically said that my writing is amazing, and even the Judge was impressed. She told me that my Judge would be needing a new clerk when I graduate, and that she would give me a great recommendation and suggest that the Judge hire me when I apply.

The Judge has called me in a couple of times to thank me for research (the Judge never talks to us... ever... so that was a big deal) and is familiar with the quality of my work, but there is one problem.... my GPA.

My clerk is fully aware of my crap GPA (2.8, Tier 2), and she thinks that it is not indicative of how well I will do, based off my current work, but my concern is that the Judge will look at my GPA and turn me down.

Any thoughts on how the Judge might weigh my GPA versus my work with them and the Clerks recommendation?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Amazing midsummer review, bad GPA

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:13 am

No real way to tell, but it's a good sign. I know of judges who would take someone whose work product they know and like and not care about the rest of the application - because all the stuff on the application is really just a way to figure out if you're going to be good at the work; if they know you are good at the work, the rest doesn't matter as much. And judges hate hiring, so if they can find someone easily they're thrilled.

But it doesn't guarantee anything.

(Is the clerk permanent or term? That will probably make a big difference as to how much weight their opinion carries.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:43 am

It's a one-year position, with an option to stay for two. My Judge, as far as I know, always has the Clerks stay the full 2 years.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:42 am

I guess what I mean is, will this clerk 1) be there when you apply, and/or 2) be the clerk you'd be hired to be working with? If neither of those are true, their rec won't help you as much. If only 1 is true, it's probably less helpful than if both were true, but still a good thing.

But again, it depends on what the judge really looks for and how they hire, which the current clerk may or may not know well, depending on how long they've been there.

I mean, it definitely sound worth applying (it's always worth applying). If the judge won't go for you due to the GPA, there's nothing you can do (except try to raise it), and you're no worse off than you are now.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:58 am

This needed to be in the clerk section I think, because I might have missed it here. Then again, A. Nony Mouse never misses anything, and always provides awesome advice.

Assuming you haven't overstated anything, my sense is that you will definitely be considered for a clerkship despite your grades/school. Those things are proxies for how well you will perform at the job, and you've already proven that despite not having great credentials on paper, you can perform the job. You just have to make sure that you follow up on the clerk calling in the rec and such--basically, make sure the judge remembers you when he does hiring and doesn't just trash your application because he forgot who you were and just saw the 2.8/T2 numbers.

As far as clerk recommendations, I'm sure it varies by judge. My judge takes ANY clerk recommendations very seriously. It won't always lead to an offer, but I think it has done so several times.

Return to “Legal Employment”