Still Possible to Work in NY from T40-60 DC School? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Still Possible to Work in NY from T40-60 DC School?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:41 pm

Just finished my 1st year of law school at a T40-T60 in the DC area. I'm not interested in firm work, but I am interested in government and PI work. I'm just not sure the DC area is where I want to settle down, and I was wondering if it might be possible to find work in NY. I have a lot of work experience, so I'd hope that would help.

If you think it's possible, what's the best way to go about being considered by NY gov't and non-profit organizations?

Anonymous User

Re: Still Possible to Work in NY from T40-60 DC School?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just finished my 1st year of law school at a T40-T60 in the DC area. I'm not interested in firm work, but I am interested in government and PI work. I'm just not sure the DC area is where I want to settle down, and I was wondering if it might be possible to find work in NY. I have a lot of work experience, so I'd hope that would help.

If you think it's possible, what's the best way to go about being considered by NY gov't and non-profit organizations?
So you go to American? No one can help you without grades/rank...

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just finished my 1st year of law school at a T40-T60 in the DC area. I'm not interested in firm work, but I am interested in government and PI work. I'm just not sure the DC area is where I want to settle down, and I was wondering if it might be possible to find work in NY. I have a lot of work experience, so I'd hope that would help.

So you go to American? No one can help you without grades/rank...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:06 pm

OP here:

T40-T60 in the DC area is all I'm going to say (there are mores schools than American in that). And rank is often not important for Gov't/PI. That's why I mentioned that I have a lot of gov't/PI work experience, because that actually is important. My experience is mostly with employment and labor law.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Outside of the top schools (and we're talking T10, T14, maaaaaaaaaaybe T20) schools the lion's share of hiring is local and based on geography/alumni/etc. you could be The One who makes it happen, but I wouldn't count on it. All legal employers are swamped with qualified applicants, so the first screen is usually to only look at people from either the top schools or the hometown heroes.

It doesn't cost you much to search for a job outside of your school's market, but don't get your hopes up. The people I know who went to T40-60 DC schools are predominantly not even employed as lawyers 1-3 years after graduation, and the ones who are are local. Likewise, I am an attorney in NYC, and I know almost nobody working here (at firms or otherwise) from schools that are like the "T40-60 DC" type schools. And I doubt it's entirely selection bias.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here:

T40-T60 in the DC area is all I'm going to say (there are mores schools than American in that). And rank is often not important for Gov't/PI. That's why I mentioned that I have a lot of gov't/PI work experience, because that actually is important. My experience is mostly with employment and labor law.
For the vast majority of places, they're going to look at your grades (even for gov/PI). They look at grades because they can be that selective. There are plenty of people with experience. They get to be choosier when there's a surplus of students and few jobs.

So, what are your grades/what's your rank?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:01 pm

dude you're anonymous. the purpose is so people can actually give you advice. if you're at American, you're probably boned. I dunno, is George Mason the other one that fits the bill? Dunno about that.

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:52 pm

stillwater wrote:dude you're anonymous. the purpose is so people can actually give you advice. if you're at American, you're probably boned. I dunno, is George Mason the other one that fits the bill? Dunno about that.
It's Mason or American. Slight possibility of Catholic if he's fudging the #s

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Could potentially be U of Maryland. I wouldn't put it any further than that, though. Given the sharp reaction after calling out "American" my guess is it's Mason or Carey, but probably Mason.

And to answer your question, OP, anything is possible. Chart your steps accordingly.

Good luck! 8)

Edit: Also, the nature of hiring outside of t14 can be attributed to additional factors than a school's reach. Students outside of the t14 are also more likely to attend in their desired markets. If OP attempts to branch out, network, ad otherwise lay the groundwork for a job in NY his school's name will not necessarily restrict him. I'm not saying the chances are great but, again, it's not impossible.

Furthermore, people still lateral to other parts of the country. Take a job where you can get one while targeting NY in your search, and then go from there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”