BU/BC. Bottom Half. How F*cked?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A. Nony Mouse

Re: BU/BC. Bottom Half. How F*cked?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, where on the Shit-Mid-Biglaw spectrum do family and immigration law firms tend to lie? Do smaller firms specializing in those practice areas tend to hire newly minted JDs?

I have a number of classmates who ended up in these kinds of firms (lower T1 in a market with way more small firms than biglaw). Most of them clerked for these firms during law school, and those who didn't networked and hustled (they usually got hired after bar results came back, and not necessarily instantly after). They often did either the juvenile law or civil clinic at my school (the civil clinic did immigration and divorce stuff).

I can't really say anything about where these firms fall on shit-mid law spectrum because, like I said, my context is a market with little biglaw and lots of smaller firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:44 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, where on the Shit-Mid-Biglaw spectrum do family and immigration law firms tend to lie? Do smaller firms specializing in those practice areas tend to hire newly minted JDs?

Some big firms have immigration groups (or it may be part of labor and employment) that do work on behalf of large corporations

There are some boutiques that also do immigration work usually on behalf of corporate entities (see e.g. Fragomen)

Oliviero y Reyes, PLLC, whose client base includes Tomas the migrant worker? Probably "shitlaw." Just so we're clear, shitlaw can be lucrative.

Thanks! Define "lucrative" shitlaw. Are we talkin like 60K+?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Some big firms have immigration groups (or it may be part of labor and employment) that do work on behalf of large corporations

There are some boutiques that also do immigration work usually on behalf of corporate entities (see e.g. Fragomen)

Oliviero y Reyes, PLLC, whose client base includes Tomas the migrant worker? Probably "shitlaw." Just so we're clear, shitlaw can be lucrative.

personal injury stuff, toxic torTTTs. the noob at the shitlaw shop is gonna make shitlaw bucks probably tho.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:12 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:24 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Sky's the limit

But you need to have a service people want; I know doods that have pulled down 7 figs in solo crim defense

You speak conversational spanish and want to do immigration in FL? Enjoy being poor. Crowded market.

You live in a place with an established Arab/Muslim community, go to mosque w all those bros, and are one of the only one of a few lawyers around that speak the language fluently? You will make $$$

Interesting about your last point. I'm fluent in Spanish and Hindi, so perhaps the latter may be more helpful than I thought...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:15 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I have a number of classmates who ended up in these kinds of firms (lower T1 in a market with way more small firms than biglaw). Most of them clerked for these firms during law school, and those who didn't networked and hustled (they usually got hired after bar results came back, and not necessarily instantly after). They often did either the juvenile law or civil clinic at my school (the civil clinic did immigration and divorce stuff).

I can't really say anything about where these firms fall on shit-mid law spectrum because, like I said, my context is a market with little biglaw and lots of smaller firms.

Yeah, I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that I'll most likely be hired post bar results (as is typical of small firm and PI employers) :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:46 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

What about employment law?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about employment law?

IME, if you mean representing employers, that's likely to be biglaw or biglaw-esque and follow that hiring oattern; if you mean plaintiff-side, you're again looking at small firms or solos who either hire people who clerked for them during school, or after bar results (if they hire newbies at all). But again, that may be different in other markets.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:16 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

IME, if you mean representing employers, that's likely to be biglaw or biglaw-esque and follow that hiring oattern; if you mean plaintiff-side, you're again looking at small firms or solos who either hire people who clerked for them during school, or after bar results (if they hire newbies at all). But again, that may be different in other markets.

Yeah, P-side employment law is the least shitty of shitlaw IMO. You're usually dealing with respectable and reasonable individuals (at least relative to criminal defendants or slip-and-fall plaintiffs), and like ANM said, you're usually dealing with biglaw or equivalent firms on the other side. Also, since you're usually dealing with bigger firms on the other side, you can develop a good reputation and use those connections to make the move to one of those firms. It's not totally common, but not unheard of.

If it's something you're really interested in, I went to BU and met up with a partner in a big firm's L&E department once who gave me a big list of P-side firms in the Boston area with good reputations and smaller firms that did interesting management-side stuff. I can PM you the list.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:45 pm

nevdash wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Yeah, P-side employment law is the least shitty of shitlaw IMO. You're usually dealing with respectable and reasonable individuals (at least relative to criminal defendants or slip-and-fall plaintiffs), and like ANM said, you're usually dealing with biglaw or equivalent firms on the other side. Also, since you're usually dealing with bigger firms on the other side, you can develop a good reputation and use those connections to make the move to one of those firms. It's not totally common, but not unheard of.

If it's something you're really interested in, I went to BU and met up with a partner in a big firm's L&E department once who gave me a big list of P-side firms in the Boston area with good reputations and smaller firms that did interesting management-side stuff. I can PM you the list.

What's unique about employment law that makes defense biglaw esque? As oppose to say slop and fall defense or workers comp defense.

Plus employment law = workers comp. prestige wise?

Also what about professional liability?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

First year associate at P-side "shitlaw." Salary = 70k in small market. Partners all make 300k+ and way more when they settle a huge case. Firm <10. Solid gig man.

Went to one of BC/BU :)

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's unique about employment law that makes defense biglaw esque? As oppose to say slop and fall defense or workers comp defense.

Well, workers' comp goes through an administrative procedure run by state agencies, so it's a little different from employment. Slip and fall defense is probably similar to employment defense, except that employment entails quite a bit more than just defending against suits - your also do a lot of personnel work, drafting of employment manuals, and so on (this is often done by in-house counsel, though, too). Employment is something that every big company has to deal with all the time, and I assume more often than your basic slip and fall. But I don't know - I just know that lots of biglaw firms have L&E departments, and I've never seen a "tort defense" department. (Could easily just be called something else.)

Personally I would say employment law is nothing like workers comp law, prestige-wide, but I also think prestige is sort of a dumb way to distinguish between practice areas.
Last edited by A. Nony Mouse on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nevdash wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

What's unique about employment law that makes defense biglaw esque? As oppose to say slop and fall defense or workers comp defense.

Plus employment law = workers comp. prestige wise?

Also what about professional liability?

Employment law is not workers comp...they are entirely different. Employment law can get extremely complex especially with the rise of employment discrimination and wage and hour class actions with millions on the line.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

First year associate at P-side "shitlaw." Salary = 70k in small market. Partners all make 300k+ and way more when they settle a huge case. Firm <10. Solid gig man.

Went to one of BC/BU :)

Congrats on the gig! How did you obtain it--OCI, networking, interning there during the semester, or some other method? And if you don't mind, what were your grades like, and/or the grades of folks from BU/BC who ended up in small/mid-size firms focusing on practice areas like employment, family, immigration, etc.?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:22 pm

OP again. Taking 13 credits in the fall semester (min. is 12/semester). What is better--taking on another class so I can jack up dat GPA, or sticking with 13 and using time otherwise devoted to the fifth class to do a PT internship in the Suffolk/Middlesex Probate and Family Court? This is what I am talking about: http://www.spfj.org/Internship.htm

It's only 8 hours a week, and would allow me to network, gain hands-on experience in family law, and obtain pro bono hours.

citylawyer1010

Postby citylawyer1010 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP again. Taking 13 credits in the fall semester (min. is 12/semester). What is better--taking on another class so I can jack up dat GPA, or sticking with 13 and using time otherwise devoted to the fifth class to do a PT internship in the Suffolk/Middlesex Probate and Family Court? This is what I am talking about: http://www.spfj.org/Internship.htm

It's only 8 hours a week, and would allow me to network, gain hands-on experience in family law, and obtain pro bono hours.

Network. Hands-down the better decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:27 am

citylawyer1010 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP again. Taking 13 credits in the fall semester (min. is 12/semester). What is better--taking on another class so I can jack up dat GPA, or sticking with 13 and using time otherwise devoted to the fifth class to do a PT internship in the Suffolk/Middlesex Probate and Family Court? This is what I am talking about: http://www.spfj.org/Internship.htm

Network. Hands-down the better decision.

Thanks. I do have the opportunity to do a faculty-supervised "Independent Study" course in conjunction with the internship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:29 pm

Bump. Thanks for the all the info on small-mid size employment law firms. Anyone got the scoop on firms specializing in family law?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Congrats on the gig! How did you obtain it--OCI, networking, interning there during the semester, or some other method? And if you don't mind, what were your grades like, and/or the grades of folks from BU/BC who ended up in small/mid-size firms focusing on practice areas like employment, family, immigration, etc.?

Not going to lie-- I had some connections. Top 1/3. Definitely happy with my choice. I still had to convince the other partners to hire me and I did so by working there during the summers/winters.

MY advice- network. These firms don't post on symp. Convince them to hire you. Aim for plaintiff's personal injury and make sure the firm is brining in tons of cash. Check their news and results on website.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not going to lie-- I had some connections. Top 1/3. Definitely happy with my choice. I still had to convince the other partners to hire me and I did so by working there during the summers/winters.

MY advice- network. These firms don't post on symp. Convince them to hire you. Aim for plaintiff's personal injury and make sure the firm is brining in tons of cash. Check their news and results on website.

Thanks!

What grades did folks at BC/BU who landed mid/small law usually have? Is medianish too low for these sorts of firms? How many hours a week did you work there during the semester?

Return to “Legal Employment”