BU/BC. Bottom Half. How F*cked? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

BU/BC. Bottom Half. How F*cked?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:01 am

Needless to say, I didn't have the most stellar 1L year. Personal issues--NOW RESOLVED--impacted my study habits. I have no idea exactly where I stand, since my school annoyingly only provides percentile ranks for folks in the top half. My exam performance was very erratic, ranging from booking the class to bottom of the barrel. Smattering of A, B, and C range grades.

No interest in BigLaw, straight-up PI gunner here. I'm also open to small firms, particularly those specializing in family and/or immigration law. Possible mitigating factors are that I'm multilingual, have 2 years post-UG WE at a non-profit, and plenty of public service experience and accolades on my resume. In addition, I'm registered for a year-long clinic during 2L, and will most likely do another clinic 3L year, on top of continuing pro bono work. Since I decided against dropping out (enjoy the study of law and loving my 1L summer gig at a legal aid office) , how else should I maximize my jerb prospects? I'm targeting the the Boston area and my home city.

mr.hands

Silver

Re: BU/BC. Bottom Half. How F*cked?

Post by mr.hands » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:13 am

How far below median? (I realize you don't know your rank, but what's your school's median and what's your GPA)

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:39 am

you maybe able to cop shitlaw, being fluent in spanish may help with some markets. youre gonna have to hustle though. so network and hit the pavement. if you are paying sticker or something crazy, may want to drop out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:56 am

stillwater wrote:you maybe able to cop shitlaw, being fluent in spanish may help with some markets. youre gonna have to hustle though. so network and hit the pavement. if you are paying sticker or something crazy, may want to drop out.
^Will do. Not paying sticker. Total debt about ~75K thanks to merit aid from school and outside schollies.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:05 am

mr.hands wrote:How far below median? (I realize you don't know your rank, but what's your school's median and what's your GPA)
Oh just discovered the stickied "Class Rank Estimator" thread. I'm ~bottom 40%. Curious as to how reliable that thing is. Wonder why my school doesn't give straight up ranks...is it not to hurt the self-esteem of poor souls at the bottom? Reminds me of US News not ranking lower tier law schools, lol.

On the bright side, I'm told by upperclassmen that the yearlong clinic I'm doing next year has a generous curve, which is a plus on top of the fact that it provides practical experience and shows commitment to PI. Also taking an elective with the prof whose class I booked (his teaching style and exam format plays to my strengths). Trying to be as strategic as possible with course selection...
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
stillwater wrote:you maybe able to cop shitlaw, being fluent in spanish may help with some markets. youre gonna have to hustle though. so network and hit the pavement. if you are paying sticker or something crazy, may want to drop out.
^Will do. Not paying sticker. Total debt about ~75K thanks to merit aid from school and outside schollies.
i think your goals are attainable and thats not huge debt, but like i said you're gonna need to hustle. good luck!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:08 am

stillwater wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
i think your goals are attainable and thats not huge debt, but like i said you're gonna need to hustle. good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:10 am

stillwater wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Oh yeah, been hustlin'. A quick daily scroll thru the "Vale of Tears" thread is my motivator...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:48 am

OP again. Is it weird to put your GPA on your resume if it's below median but 3.0+?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:49 am

See my post "bottom of the class and now I'm here". It's trendin'

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:50 am

What is shitlaw? Anything that isn't biglaw?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
firm work thats not biglaw, midlaw or boutique as you would refer to them. however, its more a reflection of the quality of work. you have some big firms like Morgan & Morgan that are shitmills.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP again. Is it weird to put your GPA on your resume if it's below median but 3.0+?
ifs above 3.0 you should put it, otherwise employers will assume its even worse.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:58 am

stillwater wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
firm work thats not biglaw, midlaw or boutique as you would refer to them. however, its more a reflection of the quality of work. you have some big firms like Morgan & Morgan that are shitmills.
What's midlaw???

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What's midlaw???
they are just size designations. some midlaw firms offer pretty good substantive work without the awful hours and lifestyle of biglaw. that said, they pretty much dont hire newly minted JDs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:06 am

What's midlaw???

they are just size designations. some midlaw firms offer pretty good substantive work without the awful hours and lifestyle of biglaw. that said, they pretty much dont hire newly minted JDs.[/quote]

Who do they hire? Former biglaw ppl? Are we talking like 50-200 attys?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's midlaw???

they are just size designations. some midlaw firms offer pretty good substantive work without the awful hours and lifestyle of biglaw. that said, they pretty much dont hire newly minted JDs.
Who do they hire? Former biglaw ppl? Are we talking like 50-200 attys?[/quote]

yea people with experience. all of these size designations are crude approximations of quality (except boutique where they do high quality work) but there are exceptions. also, shitlaw is just the work no one wants to do or that isn't highbrow. but usually shitlaw is hanging your own shingle or 2-5 attys hustling to do the next slip and fall or Mrs. Whoeverthefuck's divorce.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:15 am

stillwater wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's midlaw???

Who do they hire? Former biglaw ppl? Are we talking like 50-200 attys?
yea people with experience. all of these size designations are crude approximations of quality (except boutique where they do high quality work) but there are exceptions. also, shitlaw is just the work no one wants to do or that isn't highbrow. but usually shitlaw is hanging your own shingle or 2-5 attys hustling to do the next slip and fall or Mrs. Whoeverthefuck's divorce.[/quote]

Is Wilson elser shitlaw? Like insurance defense firms.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:22 am

yea, thats a shitmill

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:29 am

How do you know he difference? Don't some reputable firms take on insureds?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:How do you know he difference? Don't some reputable firms take on insureds?
i know it when i see it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:44 am

What are some factors? We can't all be wise Supreme Court justices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:31 pm

stillwater wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP again. Is it weird to put your GPA on your resume if it's below median but 3.0+?
ifs above 3.0 you should put it, otherwise employers will assume its even worse.
At what point should I put rank on resume? If I attain top 1/3+?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:20 pm

So, where on the Shit-Mid-Biglaw spectrum do family and immigration law firms tend to lie? Do smaller firms specializing in those practice areas tend to hire newly minted JDs?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:31 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”