Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:50 pm

This is to give hope to those who are concerned about finding employment. I graduated in 2012 at the bottom 20% of my class from a very lowly ranked tier two. I now work at a mid-sized firm (26-100 attys) in a secondary market making approx 80k and doing commercial as well as employment litigation.

AMA

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2094
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:51 pm

Pretty sure you're in the wrong place. This site is mostly for people in the top 10% to engage in intellectual masturbation and subtly self-congratulatory threads.
Last edited by ExBiglawAssociate on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:52 pm

How many places did you apply?

Is the secondary market you work in the same market as your T2?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:53 pm

Yes it is.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:55 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Pretty sure you're in the wrong place. This site is mostly for people in the top 10% to engage in intellectual masturbation and subtly self-congratulatory threads.


Well from what I gather, lots of non-top 10% people visit the site, including myself. Congratulations from me to you so you don't have to go it alone.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:04 pm

How did you find your job?

DwightSchruteFarms
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:07 pm

This title actually made me LOL.

Regardless, congrats my friend! Consider yourself incredibly lucky...and this is coming from a fellow low-T2er that landed a biglaw gig with barely above median grades. To say luck was not 90% of the reason would be an absolute lie.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:07 pm

My friend's friend is an attorney at the firm. Worked there during law school and was hired thereafter as an associate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:08 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:This title actually made me LOL.

Regardless, congrats my friend! Consider yourself incredibly lucky...and this is coming from a fellow low-T2er that landed a biglaw gig with barely above median grades. To say luck was not 90% of the reason would be an absolute lie.


How did you do it? Always looking to give fellow low tiered ppl advice.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:08 pm

What kind of work do you do? Do you like it?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Bottom of the class now I'm here. Bottom of the class now I'm the only one here. Just think its funny how it goes, now I'm billing 250 per hour when I couldn't get volunteer hired

Bottom of the class now I'm here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:What kind of work do you do? Do you like it?


It's in the original post.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby mr.hands » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:14 pm

How many other threads have to tagged encouraging people to see this thread?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:What kind of work do you do? Do you like it?


It's in the original post.

Do you like it?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:What kind of work do you do? Do you like it?


It's in the original post.

Do you like it?


I like the fact that I'm able to do it. Doing it is not as great as any first year would know.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Nova wrote:How many places did you apply?

Is the secondary market you work in the same market as your T2?


+how many interviews did you have?

+when did you get hired? (before graduation, before the bar, 9 months out, etc)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:18 pm

mr.hands wrote:How many other threads have to tagged encouraging people to see this thread?


That's called good marketing. Another thing ppl with my pedigree should focus on.

DwightSchruteFarms
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DwightSchruteFarms wrote:This title actually made me LOL.

Regardless, congrats my friend! Consider yourself incredibly lucky...and this is coming from a fellow low-T2er that landed a biglaw gig with barely above median grades. To say luck was not 90% of the reason would be an absolute lie.


How did you do it? Always looking to give fellow low tiered ppl advice.


One word: networking. I networked my ass off. I talked to every attorney-friend I knew. Get Guerrilla Tactics and give it a brief skim. It has some great tips for interviewing that i thought helped me. Go to these networking events that are not school-sponsored but rather Bar-sponsored. Find common ground on something outside of law and build some sort of rapport.

Def do not give up hope. There are positions out there (although few) that you can fill. It just takes some time to find them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:20 pm

Nova wrote:
Nova wrote:How many places did you apply?

Is the secondary market you work in the same market as your T2?


+how many interviews did you have?

+when did you get hired? (before graduation, before the bar, 9 months out, etc)


I had 5 or 6 firm interviews. One offer. I applied to everything. I got hired 2 mo out.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby mr.hands » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mr.hands wrote:How many other threads have to tagged encouraging people to see this thread?


That's called good marketing. Another thing ppl with my pedigree should focus on.


Marketing? Really? How much are you being paid every time someone looks at this thread?

Yeah, that's not marketing.

That said, congrats on the job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:27 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mr.hands wrote:How many other threads have to tagged encouraging people to see this thread?


That's called good marketing. Another thing ppl with my pedigree should focus on.


Marketing? Really? How much are you being paid every time someone looks at this thread?

Yeah, that's not marketing.

That said, congrats on the job.


Its marketing for my new single "bottom of the class now im here"

"ottom of the class now I'm here. Bottom of the class now I'm the only one here. Just think its funny how it goes, now I'm billing 250 per hour when I couldn't get volunteer hired

Bottom of the class now I'm here."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:29 pm

Any advice for someone who just finished 1L in the dumps (bottom quarter)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice for someone who just finished 1L in the dumps (bottom quarter)


Yes, write out a list of everyone you know and ask each of them if they know any lawyers. If any of them do, ask where and if you can meet with this lawyer. If the firm sounds like a place you want to work, offer to work there for nothing and do a good job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273579
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mr.hands wrote:How many other threads have to tagged encouraging people to see this thread?


That's called good marketing. Another thing ppl with my pedigree should focus on.


Marketing? Really? How much are you being paid every time someone looks at this thread?

Yeah, that's not marketing.

That said, congrats on the job.


Its marketing for my new single "bottom of the class now im here"

"ottom of the class now I'm here. Bottom of the class now I'm the only one here. Just think its funny how it goes, now I'm billing 250 per hour when I couldn't get volunteer hired

Bottom of the class now I'm here."


Just as a reminder to myself I wear every tie i own even when I'm home

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Bottom of the class now I'm here (AMA)

Postby Clearly » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:41 am

You're not marketing a thread, you're cluttering the site.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.