Rising 3L @TT JD(3.0)/MBA(3.8) Tx/La Looking for advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
doug_7506

New

Rising 3L @TT JD(3.0)/MBA(3.8) Tx/La Looking for advice

Post by doug_7506 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:35 pm

Well i'm about to start the fourth year of my JD/MBA at a TT law school and TT business school. Looking at working in either Texas or Louisiana. The job market really has me freaked out right now. I'm not sure if I should pursue a career with my MBA or my JD.

Grades:
My MBA has a concentration in finance. Have a >3.8GPA (No rankings) with a 3.8 UGRAD GPA in business. Law has not been as kind to me. I have a 3.0GPA (barely making the top 50%). My highest grades have come in my Tax and Sales classes (business related classes).

Experience:
Law:
Spent one summer working for a small firm as purely a research associate and I spent another summer with a circuit court judge as part of my schools externship program. Now i'm working with a small tax/business firm until graduation where i'm getting a lot of good practical experience (writing briefs and motions, doing research, meeting clients, etc.). However, in the last ten years they have only hired two of their clerks. So, I'm not expecting an offer at graduation.
Business:
Before going to law school I opened up my own store (small boutique) and ran that for a year. Before that I did IT work for a few years.

Job Markets:
Looking at Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Houston, etc.

I have wanted to be a lawyer for a long time. Law school seemed like a sure thing for me for a long time. But, with only two semester left and so-so law GPA, i'm thinking about jumping ship. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I have emailed both the JD and MBA career services people, but I haven't heard back from them yet. I know with my law GPA a lot of the high profile law positions will simply be unattainable. Unfortunately, there is no JD/MBA network at my school and i'm really not sure what's out there. I would really love some advice on what opportunities you guys think might be available to me. I've been looking, but I just haven't found anything that really "fits" me yet.

Thanks in advance for any help. :mrgreen:

TL;DR - TT JD/MBA with solid MBA GPA and average JD GPA looking for career advice.

Return to “Legal Employment”