Doing terribly at 1L summer job and thinking about quitting

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Doing terribly at 1L summer job and thinking about quitting

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:51 pm

My 1L summer job has been going pretty badly. I do most of the work from home and get very little instruction. I had to take several weeks off because of some issues in my family. On top of that, I was just accepted as a transfer student and would like to move soon to my new city. My only concern is that 2L summer employers will find out that I left early and didn't have a great experience. What are the odds of this?

The experience hasn't been useless as I have learned a few things. But it's been minimal.

There is a professor who I could start doing research with during the summer, and I might be able to put that on my resume too.

Thanks.

Nova

Re: Doing terribly at 1L summer job and thinking about quitting

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:00 pm

Did you start in may?

No one would bat an eye at "may-july"

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:14 pm

How much longer do you have? Seems like you should just stick it out, if for no other reason than your own mental well being -- you won't know the ramifications of dropping out early but why chance it if it will worry you? Sounds like you'll still have time to move to a new place and get your s in order. It's good to finish what you started.

Congrats on the transfer.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:35 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Nova wrote:Did you start in may?

No one would bat an eye at "may-july"

I started in early May, so it's been almost 2 months. But the amount of work I've done has been negligible. It took a very long time to complete the training program and get up to speed. At this point I'm concerned about moving to a completely new city where I don't know anyone. I'd like to get settled before school starts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:57 pm

Don't quit. Just try harder. See my post "bottom of the class now I'm here" in the forum.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Don't quit. Just try harder. See my post "bottom of the class now I'm here" in the forum.

Congrats on your job. I'm not sure your situation applies to mine though. What I'm asking is could there be any negative repercussions? I will put this summer job on my resume, but the only way an employer would find out that I didn't stay the full summer would be to contact the office listed on my resume. That seems unlikely, but I guess it could happen.

I can't overestimate the piece of mind I'll get from moving to my new school a little early.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:31 am

Just quit, put "may-july" or "summer" on your resume, and call it a day. Its all good.

When employers ask about the experience, frame it as awesome. nbd.

Return to “Legal Employment”