Lateral Hiring for Big Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lumieres

Lateral Hiring for Big Law

Postby Lumieres » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:56 pm

For the people who have been practicing for 2+ years, how difficult is it to get hired in big law after spending a few years working as an associate at a small firm?

Also, do grades/ECs like law review still matter at this point?

ExBiglawAssociate

Re: Lateral Hiring for Big Law

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Unless you're coming off a prestigious clerkship, it's extremely hard to get into biglaw if you're not already in biglaw. This is especially true for junior associates. Your best bet is to do an Article III federal clerkship and try to break your way in. Going from a small firm to biglaw is very hard to do, and it's pretty much impossible if you didn't have the grades to get biglaw in the first place.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:26 am

Agree it's very tough. For laterals with 2-3 years, they generally require the same grades/school that they require for new recruits. They also generally require biglaw or clerkship experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:48 am

What about a midsized law firm that doesn't pay market but is nevertheless respected regionally?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:27 am

Also, what if you did have top grades, but just decided to pursue something different for a few years?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:20 am

Don't listen to these negative ppl. You can get to biglaw. I was bottom of my class at a crap tier 2 and now I'm at a near 100 atty firm making good money and doing biglaw caliber work. Ppl here were telling me I should drop out of school. That I would not get any decent job. That might reflect their own inabilities. That's why they need these guaranteed tracks to success.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Don't listen to these negative ppl. You can get to biglaw. I was bottom of my class at a crap tier 2 and now I'm at a near 100 atty firm making good money and doing biglaw caliber work. Ppl here were telling me I should drop out of school. That I would not get any decent job. That might reflect their own inabilities. That's why they need these guaranteed tracks to success.

This post literally adds nothing to the thread. You don't address OP's question at all.

Also, just because people give what appear to be pessimistic answers does not mean that those same answers are not realistic. We are all glad you are doing Biglaw caliber work. Just not sure how that helps the OP.
Last edited by lawyerwannabe on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Don't listen to these negative ppl. You can get to biglaw. I was bottom of my class at a crap tier 2 and now I'm at a near 100 atty firm making good money and doing biglaw caliber work. Ppl here were telling me I should drop out of school. That I would not get any decent job. That might reflect their own inabilities. That's why they need these guaranteed tracks to success.

This isn't biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:31 am

AllTheLawz wrote:

This isn't biglaw.

It's called an analogy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:33 am

lawyerwannabe wrote:

This post literally adds nothing to the thread. You don't address OP's question at all.

Also, just because people give what appear to be pessimistic answers does not mean that those same answers are not realistic. We are all glad you are doing Biglaw caliber work. Just not sure how that helps the OP.

It adds to the thread in the sense that my post intends to minimize the impact of negativity in the other posts here. Duh

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
AllTheLawz wrote:

This isn't biglaw.

It's called an analogy.

No it isn't. Getting a non-biglaw firm when people said you wouldn't is not analogous to getting a biglaw firm when people said you wouldn't. They have an entirely different set of requirements and odds.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
AllTheLawz wrote:

This isn't biglaw.

It's called an analogy.

I want to be a billionaire. I have a good idea for a business, but it isn't mindblowing. People told me it is unlikely (because it is). I don't listen to these people. I automatically become a billionaire?

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:

It adds to the thread in the sense that my post intends to minimize the impact of negativity in the other posts here. Duh

By "analogizing" to a completely different situation involving an outcome not asked about by the OP? Makes sense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:41 am

More like here's an example that demonstrates ppl on this site are overly negative. Therefore take their over-negativity into account.

Return to “Legal Employment”