Informational Interview with a trial boutique?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Informational Interview with a trial boutique?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:54 am

Please don't quote.

I'm currently working at a firm in NY and will be splitting with a trial boutique on the West Coast. I've enjoyed the first firm a lot and am hoping to enjoy the next as well. I recently received an email from a partner at a trial boutique located elsewhere in the country (e.g., Susman Godfrey, Bartlit Beck) asking me if I'd like to chat about the firm sometime soon.

I definitely would like to keep my options open with his firm for after I finish my clerkship, but I'm a little unsure about the propriety of setting up informational interviews right in the middle of 2L summer. I don't want to come off as flighty or uncommitted when I'm already splitting.

Any thoughts on this?

stoogesreal

Re: Informational Interview with a trial boutique?

Postby stoogesreal » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:49 am

Lawyers are talking to lawyers at other firms on an informal basis all the time, for networking's sake (and friendship).
Coffees, lunches, dinners, bar association events, etc.
If one of those meetings leads to a new (better?) job, great! It's not like you were "disloyal" just by taking the meeting.
I say: go for it!

Return to “Legal Employment”