Midwest T25 (T47?) OCI 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Midwest T25 (T47?) OCI 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Rising UIUC 2L here. Targeting Chicago. I know plenty of people out there from IU, Notre Dame, WUSTL, UW, etc. Let's talk OCI and firms. I started this thread because I was utilizing the Northwestern thread to help with my research, but obviously I'm not exactly in the same situation as those people. I'm assuming other people are in the same boat.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Re: Midwest T25 (T47?) OCI 2013

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising UIUC 2L here. Targeting Chicago. I know plenty of people out there from IU, Notre Dame, WUSTL, UW, etc. Let's talk OCI and firms. I started this thread because I was utilizing the Northwestern thread to help with my research, but obviously I'm not exactly in the same situation as those people. I'm assuming other people are in the same boat.

This thread is a great example for why T25 does not exist. You go to the 47th ranked school. Even if you still went to the 25th ranked school, you should avoid saying T25 at all costs.

Whole point of my post was to be a dick I don't know any mid-west firms. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:46 pm

If you're top 10-15% at Illinois, you should be a go for Chicago unless you have a terrible personality. Otherwise, if you're top 25%, you'll usually need LR/moot court + interview very well, or a background that makes you valuable to the firm (IP, I-banking, etc.)

If you're in the top 10% and are not dead set on Chicago, a couple of the NY firms will give you a look.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:49 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rising UIUC 2L here. Targeting Chicago. I know plenty of people out there from IU, Notre Dame, WUSTL, UW, etc. Let's talk OCI and firms. I started this thread because I was utilizing the Northwestern thread to help with my research, but obviously I'm not exactly in the same situation as those people. I'm assuming other people are in the same boat.

This thread is a great example for why T25 does not exist. You go to the 47th ranked school. Even if you still went to the 25th ranked school, you should avoid saying T25 at all costs.

Whole point of my post was to be a dick I don't know any mid-west firms. Good luck.

blatant CU-Boulder butthurtness

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:35 pm

McDermott Will is not coming to OCI at UIUC - anyone know why? They came last year and I know they have at least one U of I summer now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:27 pm

Another rising 2L at UIUC here. I'm top 5% and will be targeting Chicago through OCI, but mass-mailing NY and CA as well. I have strong ties to CA, ties to Chicago, and no ties to NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:McDermott Will is not coming to OCI at UIUC - anyone know why? They came last year and I know they have at least one U of I summer now.

Perhaps because of the beating we've taken in the rankings? I keep hearing about how, despite the ranking drop, we're still seen as a strong(ish) regional school, but perhaps this is a sign to the contrary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:54 pm

anyone have a 2013 UIUC OCI list? curious who is going to be there now...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone have a 2013 UIUC OCI list? curious who is going to be there now...

I think I've got them all here:

Baker & McKenzie
Banner & Witcoff
Bryan Cave
Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella
Chapman and Cutler
Deloitte Tax
Drinker Biddle & Reath
Dykema Gossett
Edwards Wildman Palmer
Faegre Baker Daniels
Foley & Lardner
Greenberg Traurig
Greensfelder Hemker & Gale
Holland & Knight
Howard & Howard
Husch Blackwell
Ice Miller
Jenner & Block
Jones Day
K&L Gates
Katten Muchin Rosenman
Kirkland & Ellis
Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear
Latham & Watkins
Lewis, Rice & Fingersh
Leydig, Voit & Mayer
Littler Mendelson
Locke Lord
Marshall, Gerstein & Borun
Mayer Brown
McDonnell Boehen Hulbert & Berghoff
McGuireWoods
Morgan Lewis & Bockius
Perkins Cole
Polsinelli Shugar
Reed Smith
Schiff Hardin
Seigfreid Bingham
Sidley Austin
Taft Stettinius & Hollister
Thompson Coburn
Vedder Price
Winston & Strawn

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:39 pm

thanks! no clue why mcdermott would bail...can't imagine it's anything specifically against UIUC. possible that the lineup isn't 100% complete yet? any other midwestern students want to chime in if mwe is scouting their OCIs?

also, just curious what the mood is like at UIUC re OCI: optimistic, pessimistic? is miarecki impressing students and firms, or is everyone too freaked out that UIUC falls out of the top 50?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:03 pm

MWE recruits SAs by practice group and always ends up getting a couple of weird ones unfilled after OCI because nobody knows/wants them. Which sucks because doing fall recruiting costs a lot of money for the firm. Plus side is if they are at your OCI you can get a pretty easy CB by saying you want Trusts, Wills or Employee Benefits, etc. Not sure if they have bailed on other OCIs because of this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:10 pm

No idea about their choice to abandon UIUC's OCI. Bidding starts in a few days, so I'm guessing the lineup is final. I don't know much about Miarecki.

As far as the mood goes, there was a lot of frustration when this year's rankings were announced. I can't speak for others, but I'm not feeling optimistic. A lot of people seem to be oblivious about the reality of the the legal market, especially in Chicago.

Despite my sizable scholarship, I'm giving a lot of thought to transferring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:09 pm

ughh, depressing. can anyone at iowa, indiana, wisco, wustl, give some good OCI news?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Despite my sizable scholarship, I'm giving a lot of thought to transferring.

It's too late to transfer at pretty much any school worth transferring to, though. rough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Despite my sizable scholarship, I'm giving a lot of thought to transferring.

It's too late to transfer at pretty much any school worth transferring to, though. rough.

I sent in my applications long ago. I've been accepted to one T10 and I'm waiting on a few T6 schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:37 pm

uiuc contemplating transfer, or other uiuc students: what's your bid list looking like? also, are you required to notify the school if you transfer before bidding/oci?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:uiuc contemplating transfer, or other uiuc students: what's your bid list looking like? also, are you required to notify the school if you transfer before bidding/oci?

Possible transfer here: UIUC is entirely pre-select, so I feel like that takes a lot of the stress out of the bidding process. I figure my odds of snagging an offer are best at the firms with the largest SA class (based on NALP), so I'll be putting those near the top. The most selective firms (e.g. Latham, Mayer, etc.) will be up there, as well.

If there's a good strategy I should be using for bidding/OCI, please let me know. Right now, my list is largely based off of Vault rankings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote: If there's a good strategy I should be using for bidding/OCI, please let me know. Right now, my list is largely based off of Vault rankings.

As a UIUC student who got an OCI SA last year while being 20%+, bid on every single firm. That was my strategy, even the ones that "required" top 10% etc. Kinda screws other people due to the pre-select nature, but GET all the interviews you can to start, then determine which ones you don't want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I sent in my applications long ago. I've been accepted to one T10 and I'm waiting on a few T6 schools.

I say this as someone who vehemently hates Illinois and Career Services, as Miarecki gave me terrible, terrible advice. I got biglaw despite him.

If you're top 10% at Illinois (and it sounds like you are) and don't have a shit personality, you should probably stay unless you want to transfer up for clerkship/academia purposes or want to work somewhere other than Chicago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:34 pm

For us rising 2Ls, what bad advice is Career Services giving out? Help us out, because other than TLS and the few random upperclassmen I know, Career Services is all I got.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For us rising 2Ls, what bad advice is Career Services giving out? Help us out, because other than TLS and the few random upperclassmen I know, Career Services is all I got.

I was top 5% and once I had struck out through OCI, Miarecki told me to focus on small firms and government jobs (i.e. the black hole). No mass mailing or anything. He also told he that doing a mock interview with him would be "useless" at that point. Right. It was only early-mid September, and hiring was far from over. I ignored him, mass mailed like a mad man, did a mock interview with someone else in the office, and got a job. Personally, I think Miarecki's a smug prick, but YMMV.

I was stupid enough to not do a mock interview before OCI, relying solely on my grades. Don't do that unless you know you interview well. And even if you think you interview well, you should still do a mock interview to confirm that intuition. Some people say Miarecki gave them good advice while the other counselors seemed hit or miss, so again, YMMV.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For us rising 2Ls, what bad advice is Career Services giving out? Help us out, because other than TLS and the few random upperclassmen I know, Career Services is all I got.

I was top 5% and once I had struck out through OCI, Miarecki told me to focus on small firms and government jobs (i.e. the black hole). No mass mailing or anything. He also told he that doing a mock interview with him would be "useless" at that point. Right. It was only early-mid September, and hiring was far from over. I ignored him, mass mailed like a mad man, did a mock interview with someone else in the office, and got a job. Personally, I think Miarecki's a smug prick, but YMMV.

I was stupid enough to not do a mock interview before OCI, relying solely on my grades. Don't do that unless you know you interview well. And even if you think you interview well, you should still do a mock interview to confirm that intuition. Some people say Miarecki gave them good advice while the other counselors seemed hit or miss, so again, YMMV.

I'm also top 5%. What do you think led to the OCI strike-out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm also top 5%. What do you think led to the OCI strike-out?

I have a very reserved personality and did not exactly convey enthusiasm about the job or about working in Chicago. I fixed that and got a job. It's not that hard. OCI was totally my fault; I should have done mock interviews beforehand and that's completely on me. My gripe is with what Miarecki said to me after OCI and with a couple of other issues with him and CS. To Miarecki's credit, CS is sending out multiple job opportunities weekly to the class that just graduated. I don't know whether those leads are turning into anything, but it seems like CS is doing what it can.

I'll also say that the personality barrier is a pretty low one to meet. Be personable and don't be a pretentious dick. If you're in the top 5% and know how to smile/have an easygoing conversation, you'll get loads of callbacks. I was saying the right things, but I came across as robotic at OCI. There was one person in my class in the top 5% who, I believe, completely struck out, but that seemed almost entirely due to personality issues. And that was the exception and not the rule. If you're in the top 5%, you should be getting multiple callbacks. If you don't, you need to do some re-evaluating.

At the same time, don't exclusively rely on OCI because an offer after a callback might be elusive, for reasons not completely in your control. Being in the top 5%, mass mail firms in markets that you have ties to, non-OCI Chicago firms, and firms that you don't get an interview with at OCI. And even if you don't have ties, a few firms in NYC probably will give you a look. It's better to overdo it now than wind up with jack shit in October.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:26 am

UIUC here. I'd be interested in knowing who is coming to OCI at ND, IU, WUSTL, Wisconsin, etc.. If any people from those schools want to give up the lists, it would be much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:38 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”