No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Peyton
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby Peyton » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:34 pm

Broseidon wrote:Oh I definitely won't be going to any optional events this time around. But I'm on the e-board so I can't avoid them completely. Fortunately my closest friends, if they get offers, are chill dudes who know it's a sore subject.

I think most people are chill like that. When we were with those who were (probably) embarrassed because they did not have an SA, no one discussed their SA. I can say that it is awkward when we’re discussing something and a 3L joins in and the subject is ineptly changed.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby glitched » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 pm

Also, what did you do that made you think you pissed off a partner, or made a partner not like you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:39 pm

glitched wrote:Sorry to everyone here but thanks for the awesome advice. SA here with some questions.

How did your mid summer reviews go and do you think that is any indication?
Are any of you hard ip? Specifically patent lit/pros?
We're any of you at HYSCCN and does that even matter anymore for 3L job search?
Did your grades significantly improve or worsen 2L year, and do you think that matters?

OP here

No indication at any point throughout the summer. If they had a problem with me, they didn't let on or give me an opportunity to rectify. I did have one mediocre review which my mentors told me not to worry about in the least (for various reasons related to the attorney).

No

No. Can't speak to specific schools but my general feeling is that credentials give way somewhat to networking and connections

Did worse 2L year but my grades were still good. I don't think it was for grades.

biglawww
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby biglawww » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:39 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know this may not be a relevant question, but what kind of advice would you give rising 2Ls when choosing law offices? Do Biglaws in major markets also do this to their SAs? Or is it more often in smaller offices of big laws in secondary markets?

"What is a big laws"

Also why is this anon


Anon on accident.

I was referring to any firms on the vault t100 list if that count as big laws.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:40 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:46 pm

biglawww wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know this may not be a relevant question, but what kind of advice would you give rising 2Ls when choosing law offices? Do Biglaws in major markets also do this to their SAs? Or is it more often in smaller offices of big laws in secondary markets?

"What is a big laws"

Also why is this anon


Anon on accident.

I was referring to any firms on the vault t100 list if that count as big laws.

OP here

Maybe someone else wants to answer that, but there are already a bunch of threads about how to pick a summer firm and which markets and firms no offer or have no offered in the past. This thread isn't really about that so much. I guess the only thing I'd say is that if you have an offer from a firm that does 100% offers year in year out, accept that offer.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby NYstate » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:55 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:The shame comes from the fact that other people did get offers. It's not like everybody in my class got no offered. Just me and one other person. There must be some reason they picked us

In fact, others from my school got offers

edit: I know that I probably shouldn't have felt as embarrassed as I did, but I couldn't shake the feeling


I am not telling anyone how to feel. I just think that people get no- offered for pretty random stuff. It could be the slimmest of margins. Or maybe one person really fought for someone they kept. I'm positive that firms are not as invested in their summers or first year associates. and that they arent agonizing over these decisions.

Most likely the firm just had less money than they thought they would and had to pick a couple of people. It doesn't mean the no- offered SA did something wrong. Or could have done something differently.

Firms do random stuff with people all the time all the way up to partnership. Very minor things can be the basis of a decision. It can be the luck of the draw too, depending on who you work for and what projects you work on.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:06 pm

NYstate wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:The shame comes from the fact that other people did get offers. It's not like everybody in my class got no offered. Just me and one other person. There must be some reason they picked us

In fact, others from my school got offers

edit: I know that I probably shouldn't have felt as embarrassed as I did, but I couldn't shake the feeling


I am not telling anyone how to feel. I just think that people get no- offered for pretty random stuff. It could be the slimmest of margins. Or maybe one person really fought for someone they kept. I'm positive that firms are not as invested in their summers or first year associates. and that they arent agonizing over these decisions.

Most likely the firm just had less money than they thought they would and had to pick a couple of people. It doesn't mean the no- offered SA did something wrong. Or could have done something differently.

Firms do random stuff with people all the time all the way up to partnership. Very minor things can be the basis of a decision.

That's a pretty interesting insight. I never really saw it that way.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:09 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Broseidon
Posts: 2663
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby Broseidon » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess the only thing I'd say is that if you have an offer from a firm that does 100% offers year in year out, accept that offer.

This this this. One of the guys here has a midlaw/regional biglaw SA at a firm that routinely gives offers to only 4 out of their 6 SA's. He's not really enjoying the work environment and it makes sense because it's actually competitive. Being at a firm where you know there will not be a 100% offer rate sounds terrible.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
biglawww wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know this may not be a relevant question, but what kind of advice would you give rising 2Ls when choosing law offices? Do Biglaws in major markets also do this to their SAs? Or is it more often in smaller offices of big laws in secondary markets?

"What is a big laws"

Also why is this anon


Anon on accident.

I was referring to any firms on the vault t100 list if that count as big laws.

OP here

Maybe someone else wants to answer that, but there are already a bunch of threads about how to pick a summer firm and which markets and firms no offer or have no offered in the past. This thread isn't really about that so much. I guess the only thing I'd say is that if you have an offer from a firm that does 100% offers year in year out, accept that offer.


I know there is a tendency for 0ls/1ls/2ls to read threads like these and want to ask questions to try and figure out how they can tell themselves it won't happen to them. That's not really what this thread should be about. This should be to help people cope with getting no offered, not reassuring people that no offers only happen in smaller markets or whatever.

Of course you ideally want to pick a firm with a high offer rate. But sometimes it just comes down to bad luck. Winston Chicago no offered a third of its class last summer. There's no predicting shit like that when you're choosing firms.

teabreeze
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:43 am

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby teabreeze » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:53 pm

This thread is making me paranoid about getting no-offered

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:07 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peyton
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby Peyton » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:17 pm

teabreeze wrote:This thread is making me paranoid about getting no-offered

I suppose that's the idea of this topic, prepare yourself with a backup plan (circle around to firms that also offered you an SA, network, etc.). I hope this thread doesn't just turn into a pity party.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:37 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Lol, the point of this thread is for support. It's not to shit out generic advice like 'network'. That's what your career services is for. This is to tell people that they're not alone and to not jump out into traffic. You can call that a pity party if you want, but you can also suck my dick.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby NYstate » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Peyton wrote:
teabreeze wrote:This thread is making me paranoid about getting no-offered

I suppose that's the idea of this topic, prepare yourself with a backup plan (circle around to firms that also offered you an SA, network, etc.). I hope this thread doesn't just turn into a pity party.


You don't understand. The idea of the topic is to support people who get no-offered.

As an aside, if you think the back- up plan you mentioned is sufficient you are woefully naive. Getting a job as a 3L is a long shot for many people. But this thread can help people deal with getting no offered.

User avatar
Broseidon
Posts: 2663
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby Broseidon » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:51 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:This is to tell people that they're not alone and to not jump out into traffic.

Yup. The last month has been absolute hell but it's taught me that keeping bad shit to myself isn't the best way to deal with it. I think it's cool to have a place on here for people to talk it out and vent.

Peyton
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby Peyton » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:30 pm

NYstate wrote:
Peyton wrote:
teabreeze wrote:This thread is making me paranoid about getting no-offered

I suppose that's the idea of this topic, prepare yourself with a backup plan (circle around to firms that also offered you an SA, network, etc.). I hope this thread doesn't just turn into a pity party.


You don't understand. The idea of the topic is to support people who get no-offered.

I’ve seen a few of your posts and I believe you are a rational person. With that in mind, I believe that nearly no one has been no-offered yet (although the time for this SA class is approaching). I see this as a thread aimed at preparing SAs for the possibility of disappointment and what they might do should they be no-offered. To sugarcoat it as politely as possible, for those who were no-offered last year (or earlier) they have their vale to commiserate their situation.

I believe their stories of how their no-offer came about are interesting, perhaps even helpful. But no, IMHO this is not just about them.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:40 pm

Peyton wrote:I believe their stories of how their no-offer came about are interesting, perhaps even helpful. But no, IMHO this is not just about them.

Good God, you're an insufferable tool.

Could it be any clearer? If you haven't been no offered, or are doing anything other than expressing sympathy for those who have, then you probably shouldn't be posting in this thread. It's really that easy.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:58 pm

Peyton wrote:
NYstate wrote:
Peyton wrote:
teabreeze wrote:This thread is making me paranoid about getting no-offered

I suppose that's the idea of this topic, prepare yourself with a backup plan (circle around to firms that also offered you an SA, network, etc.). I hope this thread doesn't just turn into a pity party.


You don't understand. The idea of the topic is to support people who get no-offered.

I’ve seen a few of your posts and I believe you are a rational person. With that in mind, I believe that nearly no one has been no-offered yet (although the time for this SA class is approaching). I see this as a thread aimed at preparing SAs for the possibility of disappointment and what they might do should they be no-offered. To sugarcoat it as politely as possible, for those who were no-offered last year (or earlier) they have their vale to commiserate their situation.

I believe their stories of how their no-offer came about are interesting, perhaps even helpful. But no, IMHO this is not just about them.


Dude get the fuck out

e: also the Vale is distinct from this thread. There are people in the Vale that didn't get no offered. And there are people that got no offered that have left the Vale. This is a thread for support and a guide for how to cope.

TooOld4This
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:09 am

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby TooOld4This » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Best of luck to everyone navigating this process right now.
Last edited by TooOld4This on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Great thread OP. Linking to it in the sticky.

aces
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby aces » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Threads like this are why I still read tls. Thank you for sharing your stories and best of luck going forward.

User avatar
Skye
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby Skye » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:28 pm

TooOld4This wrote:Best of luck to everyone navigating this process right now.

Thumbs up to that! Seems like navigating is what we’ve been doing since day 1. LSAT, what school, the grades, then will I get a good SA and now we’re facing the “will I be offered” question mark. As rosy as things are now with all the wine-and-dine treatment, it’s clear things can go unexpectedly sideways in a hurry, I would love to hear what someone did to immediately and successfully bounce back from a no-offer. Was it luck, a great plan B, or what?
Last edited by Skye on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.