No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:06 pm

Joining. Midwest, secondary city biglaw. This freaking sucks.

Cheers.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Joining. Midwest, secondary city biglaw. This freaking sucks.

Cheers.

Stay strong brother. Want to talk about it? If not, no pressure; hope you're feelin okay, or at least as well as can be given the situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Joining. Midwest, secondary city biglaw. This freaking sucks.

Cheers.

Exact same story here, bro. You aren't alone. I know that feel.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:40 am

Cheers.

Sorry dude. If it helps at all, we have all been there and landed on our feet. Go on a three day doozie of a bender, then start calling connections and mass mailing like mad. Remember not to neglect the gym. No matter how bad it gets, being ripped will make you feel better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Cheers.

Exact same story here, bro. You aren't alone. I know that feel.

Thanks bros. Worst part isn't just getting no-offered, it's the stigma that comes with it. Other firms think you've got the plague. Heck I'm asking profs for clerkship recommendations and they're asking me about what happened. So freaking close to a dream job, had a great summer, and now I wish the whole internship had never even happened.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Sorry to hear it brothers. Keep your head up and get back to the grindstone soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:25 pm

Had been planning to study abroad this semester. Now I just...don't know. Am I crazy to go? School's been going for a week already.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had been planning to study abroad this semester. Now I just...don't know. Am I crazy to go? School's been going for a week already.

My opinion. You are crazy to put anything ahead of getting a job. Change your plans and stay here. Unless the study abroad leads to a job somehow.
Last edited by NYstate on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had been planning to study abroad this semester. Now I just...don't know. Am I crazy to go? School's been going for a week already.

I wouldn't go man. That's just me. I did a lot of job search in the fall.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Also spend all weekend mass mailing if you haven't been already. You don't have time to waste.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Agreed... Don't go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:55 pm

NYstate wrote:Also spend all weekend mass mailing if you haven't been already. You don't have time to waste.

Yeah I've been all over that.

I hear what you guys are saying, and if I were going alone I'd stay. But I'm supposed to be going with a good friend, and I'd feel like a tool if I left him hanging. I mean, he'd understand, but I'd still feel like a tool.

Part of it is I'm still hoping it'll all work out, too. I've got a couple of opportunities here, and I don't have to fly out for another couple of weeks. I mean it's not terribly rational, but human nature and that...Plus my doom and gloom advisors here at school who say I won't be getting a job in the next couple months anyway so I should go, and go hard in the spring.

tacocabana

Postby tacocabana » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:55 pm

You'll need to be in the states for interviews if you get any.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:Also spend all weekend mass mailing if you haven't been already. You don't have time to waste.

I hear what you guys are saying, and if I were going alone I'd stay. But I'm supposed to be going with a good friend, and I'd feel like a tool if I left him hanging. I mean, he'd understand, but I'd still feel like a tool.

Part of it is I'm still hoping it'll all work out, too. I've got a couple of opportunities here, and I don't have to fly out for another couple of weeks. I mean it's not terribly rational, but human nature and that...Plus my doom and gloom advisors here at school who say I won't be getting a job in the next couple months anyway so I should go, and go hard in the spring.

I didn't get any jobs until the spring, but I did CBs in the fall and laid the groundwork for the offers I did get in the fall

I wouldn't go

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

How could anyone possibly know for sure you won't be getting a job in the fall? Also, you might benefit from being here and picking up a part time clerking job.

Up to you though.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:56 am

Cheers.

If it's any consolation, secondary city biglaw or regional midlaw gigs can be some of the toughest jobs to land. I don't know what the specific deal is with your firm and I'm you probably already know this, but it probably bears repeating.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:22 pm

Dead silence on the simplicity for a week now ...

It is only been a month since my no offer, yet I already felt like losing the steam to keep on the job searching. I probably should have done more mass mailing/networking etc ...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dead silence on the simplicity for a week now ...

It is only been a month since my no offer, yet I already felt like losing the steam to keep on the job searching. I probably should have done more mass mailing/networking etc ...

Just gotta remember you're in it for the long haul. It definitely sucks, but there's no way around it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dead silence on the simplicity for a week now ...

Yeah I am pretty much feeling hopeless at this point after the no offer. I have mass mailed hundred of firms and I haven't received one interview.

I had a few firms email me back asking if I got an offer but silence after that. Hoping that means that they might be interested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:00 pm

This is just brutal. No idea what the fuck to do anymore...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:09 am

Was no offered for economic reasons despite being recommended to be hired by the satellite office I summered at.

I can't fucking sleep thinking about how shitty my luck and life is...even when I don't fuck up I get fucked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Anyone else have that empty hopeless feeling every morning? It's like I want to get up and be proactive then I realize there's like nothing out there...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else have that empty hopeless feeling every morning? It's like I want to get up and be proactive then I realize there's like nothing out there...

I felt like that every morning. Often it was a struggle to get out of bed. You really have to make an effort to force yourself to do normal human activities sometimes. The only encouragement I can offer is to keep trying an to get counseling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:43 pm

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Bump for unfortunately it's that time of yr

Return to “Legal Employment”