No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 am

Umm....I guess I am not in this thread yet but I feel like I am close.

Another summer from my office just called me and said he was no-offered. He said it was over a review of an assignment that we worked on as a group (3 of us summers) but turned in separate final products for. He wanted to give me a heads up although he did not have any details on the specifics of what his bad review said. It was a complicated assignment but his was at least twice as long and twice as polished as mine (I read everyone's). I sort of blew that assignment off because it wasn't from the group that I worked with all summer and want to get hired into. I have not heard from anyone at my firm yet but the offers were supposed to go out today and tomorrow.

I guess I just sit here and wait but yeah I will start polishing the old resume now. I already skipped 3L OCI (I think). I am likely fucked.

Maybe I will mass mail. I don't know where to mass mail but it just feels like I should.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Umm....I guess I am not in this thread yet but I feel like I am close.

Another summer from my office just called me and said he was no-offered. He said it was over a review of an assignment that we worked on as a group (3 of us summers) but turned in separate final products for. He wanted to give me a heads up although he did not have any details on the specifics of what his bad review said. It was a complicated assignment but his was at least twice as long and twice as polished as mine (I read everyone's). I sort of blew that assignment off because it wasn't from the group that I worked with all summer and want to get hired into. I have not heard from anyone at my firm yet but the offers were supposed to go out today and tomorrow.

I guess I just sit here and wait but yeah I will start polishing the old resume now. I already skipped 3L OCI (I think). I am likely fucked.

Maybe I will mass mail. I don't know where to mass mail but it just feels like I should.

Wrong thread

This is more your speed

Come back if you get the bad news

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:41 am

I already skipped 3L OCI (I think). I am likely fucked


spam bigfed before you miss those deadlines too

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:05 am

If the interview didn't ask you up front about your offer situation, would you guys bring it up yourself?

Just curious. 3L OCI is like 3LOLCI, but managed to get six interviews anyway (no screening!), figure it would be good practice for the long road ahead.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:30 am

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:44 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If the interview didn't ask you up front about your offer situation, would you guys bring it up yourself?

Just curious. 3L OCI is like 3LOLCI, but managed to get six interviews anyway (no screening!), figure it would be good practice for the long road ahead.

Fuck no I wouldn't bring it up


I'm not sure about this, I mean they're going to look into it anyway so I figured I might as well address it, then at least I get my side across too. I missed OCI though so kind of a moot point for me...

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If the interview didn't ask you up front about your offer situation, would you guys bring it up yourself?

Just curious. 3L OCI is like 3LOLCI, but managed to get six interviews anyway (no screening!), figure it would be good practice for the long road ahead.

Fuck no I wouldn't bring it up


I'm not sure about this, I mean they're going to look into it anyway so I figured I might as well address it, then at least I get my side across too. I missed OCI though so kind of a moot point for me...

3LOLCI is a joke. You didn't miss much

But I would not bring it up unless asked. Interviewing 101: don't draw attention to the weak parts of your resume

You preemptively bringing it up is gonna make it seem like you have something to hide

And they're probably not gonna find the dirt on you if you use a reference from your old firm you trust.

If they call HR, HR usually just says "anon worked here from June 1 - August 1" or something like that

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:41 pm

I just received an interview from a firm who gave me a offer last year.

Does anyone know how to spin why I am reapplying without mentioning the no offer? They are in different markets.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:48 pm

i had received a no offer and like others didn't really accept the reasons why... i asked for a meeting and pretty much laid it all out why i thought i should have gotten an offer and that it wasn't fair. they ended up reevaluating the situation and gave me one. so if it's possible to talk to anyone, i would suggest doing so

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just received an interview from a firm who gave me a offer last year.

Does anyone know how to spin why I am reapplying without mentioning the no offer? They are in different markets.

You answered your own question mang

Roll with that for sure. Hit it hard.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i had received a no offer and like others didn't really accept the reasons why... i asked for a meeting and pretty much laid it all out why i thought i should have gotten an offer and that it wasn't fair. they ended up reevaluating the situation and gave me one. so if it's possible to talk to anyone, i would suggest doing so
Anonymous User wrote:i had received a no offer and like others didn't really accept the reasons why... i asked for a meeting and pretty much laid it all out why i thought i should have gotten an offer and that it wasn't fair. they ended up reevaluating the situation and gave me one. so if it's possible to talk to anyone, i would suggest doing so


Wow this is awesome, I never heard of anything like this. Congrats! Look at that lawyering skill!

When the firm straight up told you that it is budgeting issue, it is hard to argue. :(

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby 20160810 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If the interview didn't ask you up front about your offer situation, would you guys bring it up yourself?

Just curious. 3L OCI is like 3LOLCI, but managed to get six interviews anyway (no screening!), figure it would be good practice for the long road ahead.

Fuck no I wouldn't bring it up


I'm not sure about this, I mean they're going to look into it anyway so I figured I might as well address it, then at least I get my side across too. I missed OCI though so kind of a moot point for me...

They are overwhelmingly likely to ask about it, but on the off chance they don't just count yourself lucky.

Of course this assumes your no offer was due to the usual stuff (sloppy work product, fit, economics of the firm, etc). If it was one of those rare Abovethelaw worthy nuclear no offers (eg you got hammered and barfed on a partner at the Fourth of July BBQ) it would be best to get ahead of the story.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:09 pm

Just asked for a cold offer and was rejected. FML.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:20 pm

FWIW, I applied to a handful of NLJ250 firms after getting no-offered (no cold offer either) and have received some positive responses without mentioning the no-offer thing (haven't been asked yet). Had 1 callback. Possibly another screener. Hope you guys can pick yourself up and start getting back out there. This is definitely not the end. Show those firms it's their loss for not taking you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, I applied to a handful of NLJ250 firms after getting no-offered (no cold offer either) and have received some positive responses without mentioning the no-offer thing (haven't been asked yet). Had 1 callback. Possibly another screener. Hope you guys can pick yourself up and start getting back out there. This is definitely not the end. Show those firms it's their loss for not taking you.


I've been applying too, but while I had a few non-rejections, no screeners and CBs yet :( Can you say which range the firms were in? I've been mainly going after the ones with huge classes and likely attrition from clerkships first...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:16 pm

Got no offered. So Cal.

I had some worries about it this summer based on comments but I'm generally paranoid about stuff like that so I wasn't sure how justified my worry was.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, I applied to a handful of NLJ250 firms after getting no-offered (no cold offer either) and have received some positive responses without mentioning the no-offer thing (haven't been asked yet). Had 1 callback. Possibly another screener. Hope you guys can pick yourself up and start getting back out there. This is definitely not the end. Show those firms it's their loss for not taking you.


I've been applying too, but while I had a few non-rejections, no screeners and CBs yet :( Can you say which range the firms were in? I've been mainly going after the ones with huge classes and likely attrition from clerkships first...


I've been targeting firms based on specialty interest and that are in a different market from my old firm (but where I still have ties). My career advisor says it will be much harder to convince firms in the same market to accept me, so I'm focusing efforts elsewhere first. I'm not looking at the big boys anymore, moving more down to the 60s to 150s range. I think sometimes smaller summer classes might be helpful, because losing 1 SA to clerkship is more detrimental in terms of need when a firm has a smaller class. Also, I find emailing the recruiter directly with resume etc. after submitting an online application (if the firm has a posting) to be helpful in eliciting a response. In anticipation of the next question, I am from a T14, probably median/upper half.

lifesucks
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby lifesucks » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got no offered. So Cal.

I had some worries about it this summer based on comments but I'm generally paranoid about stuff like that so I wasn't sure how justified my worry was.


That sucks dude. I'm sorry. I felt the same way all summer too...

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got no offered. So Cal.

I had some worries about it this summer based on comments but I'm generally paranoid about stuff like that so I wasn't sure how justified my worry was.

Sorry brother. Hope you're doing okay

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, I applied to a handful of NLJ250 firms after getting no-offered (no cold offer either) and have received some positive responses without mentioning the no-offer thing (haven't been asked yet). Had 1 callback. Possibly another screener. Hope you guys can pick yourself up and start getting back out there. This is definitely not the end. Show those firms it's their loss for not taking you.


I've been applying too, but while I had a few non-rejections, no screeners and CBs yet :( Can you say which range the firms were in? I've been mainly going after the ones with huge classes and likely attrition from clerkships first...


I've been targeting firms based on specialty interest and that are in a different market from my old firm (but where I still have ties). My career advisor says it will be much harder to convince firms in the same market to accept me, so I'm focusing efforts elsewhere first. I'm not looking at the big boys anymore, moving more down to the 60s to 150s range. I think sometimes smaller summer classes might be helpful, because losing 1 SA to clerkship is more detrimental in terms of need when a firm has a smaller class. Also, I find emailing the recruiter directly with resume etc. after submitting an online application (if the firm has a posting) to be helpful in eliciting a response. In anticipation of the next question, I am from a T14, probably median/upper half.

Sounds good brother

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:12 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got no offered. So Cal.

I had some worries about it this summer based on comments but I'm generally paranoid about stuff like that so I wasn't sure how justified my worry was.

Sorry brother. Hope you're doing okay


I'm a sister ( :) ) but thanks for the support guys. Honestly since I just got the news today I'm a bit in shock/numb - so basically I'm fine but not stable enough to actually start getting my resume in order and applying to anything yet.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got no offered. So Cal.

I had some worries about it this summer based on comments but I'm generally paranoid about stuff like that so I wasn't sure how justified my worry was.

Sorry brother. Hope you're doing okay


I'm a sister ( :) ) but thanks for the support guys. Honestly since I just got the news today I'm a bit in shock/numb - so basically I'm fine but not stable enough to actually start getting my resume in order and applying to anything yet.

Thats totally fine and pretty typical. Take a couple days if it helps you feel better. Do what makes you feel better for a little bit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:08 pm

For anyone who hasn't seen this on Above the Law yet, it's a short article on what do do if you get no-offered that includes links to other related articles: http://abovethelaw.com/2013/08/what-should-you-do-if-you-got-no-offered/

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who hasn't seen this on Above the Law yet, it's a short article on what do do if you get no-offered that includes links to other related articles: http://abovethelaw.com/2013/08/what-should-you-do-if-you-got-no-offered/


It was shitty of ATL to use the OP's story. Plenty of other people get no offered. Hope this doesn't prevent others from asking for help. Presumably this doesn't make the OP immediately identifiable. So glad that thread is gone.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who hasn't seen this on Above the Law yet, it's a short article on what do do if you get no-offered that includes links to other related articles: http://abovethelaw.com/2013/08/what-should-you-do-if-you-got-no-offered/

I took some exception to some of the Lateral Link advice on there

I'll poast about it when I have some time




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.