No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby 20160810 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:26 pm

What exactly is a cold offer?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:29 pm

SBL wrote:What exactly is a cold offer?

Either:

A. The firm gives you an offer but stresses that you really really should find somewhere else to work. I've seen stories on TLS of people actually accepting these offers and working for the firm for years (could be a myth?).

or

B. The firm doesn't give you an offer but says you can tell other firms that you did get an offer and will corroborate that story if asked.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:36 pm

The firm told me I was no offered because of work product but in my final review they told me I had good work product and I should not worry about receiving an offer. How do I answer the question of why I was no offered in an interview? Do I have to say it was because of work product?

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby NYstate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The firm told me I was no offered because of work product but in my final review they told me I had good work product and I should not worry about receiving an offer. How do I answer the question of why I was no offered in an interview? Do I have to say it was because of work product?


What will your references from the firm say?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:25 pm

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The firm told me I was no offered because of work product but in my final review they told me I had good work product and I should not worry about receiving an offer. How do I answer the question of why I was no offered in an interview? Do I have to say it was because of work product?


What will your references from the firm say?


My mentor has already told me he will give me a good recommendation. I worked with him on four assignments and he gave me all great reviews.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby NYstate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The firm told me I was no offered because of work product but in my final review they told me I had good work product and I should not worry about receiving an offer. How do I answer the question of why I was no offered in an interview? Do I have to say it was because of work product?


What will your references from the firm say?


My mentor has already told me he will give me a good recommendation. I worked with him on four assignments and he gave me all great reviews.


Then don't say it was for work product. Maybe ask your mentor for advice? Maybe you can say if asked, that you didn't have a negative review the entire summer ?

What really happened here? Is it financial? Maybe you will never know.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby NYstate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:03 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just got no offered. How do you ask for a cold offer? Has anyone been successful in getting a cold offer?

I got a cold offer. I didn't ask for one, they just gave me one because they "liked" me and felt I wasn't a "lost cause."



I know that the firm thinks they are doing you a favor but they sound like insufferable assholes. Fuck them. You aren't a "lost cause"? That really pisses me off on your behalf.

Don't let that passive aggresive shit play into your head.( they know they are screwing you over so they are putting this on you in a way that makes them feel better about themselves) Just use them for their cold offer, find another job and be very happy you escaped years of working with them.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:02 am

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The firm told me I was no offered because of work product but in my final review they told me I had good work product and I should not worry about receiving an offer. How do I answer the question of why I was no offered in an interview? Do I have to say it was because of work product?


What will your references from the firm say?


My mentor has already told me he will give me a good recommendation. I worked with him on four assignments and he gave me all great reviews.


Then don't say it was for work product. Maybe ask your mentor for advice? Maybe you can say if asked, that you didn't have a negative review the entire summer ?

What really happened here? Is it financial? Maybe you will never know.

I'd like to second all the above

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:00 am

NYstate wrote:So can you talk to someone to get more information? An hour late can be a huge problem on some matters and mean nothing on others. I'm not sure what going to lunch has to do with anything.


I went to lunch with the associate, where he asked me when I thought I could get the assignment to him, I under estimated by about an hour but the only real deadline was to get it to him before he went home for the night since he wanted to read it on the train... The review said I shouldn't have gone to lunch if I thought I would be late.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:So can you talk to someone to get more information? An hour late can be a huge problem on some matters and mean nothing on others. I'm not sure what going to lunch has to do with anything.


I went to lunch with the associate, where he asked me when I thought I could get the assignment to him, I under estimated by about an hour but the only real deadline was to get it to him before he went home for the night since he wanted to read it on the train... The review said I shouldn't have gone to lunch if I thought I would be late.


If this is actually the way things went down, that is fucked up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Guide to Getting No Offered / No Offer Support thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:So can you talk to someone to get more information? An hour late can be a huge problem on some matters and mean nothing on others. I'm not sure what going to lunch has to do with anything.


I went to lunch with the associate, where he asked me when I thought I could get the assignment to him, I under estimated by about an hour but the only real deadline was to get it to him before he went home for the night since he wanted to read it on the train... The review said I shouldn't have gone to lunch if I thought I would be late.


If this is actually the way things went down, that is fucked up.


Well I didn't get to read the actual review but that was the summary given to me combined with what happened, I figure it might have been fairly harshly written but I was getting work from more senior people up until the last day or two of the summer, and those people had worked with me more.

Anyway, water under the bridge...

That said, what's the chances that I can hustle my way into something else? Its one of those decision points where I will probably apply to everything, but keep my non-legal options wide open as well because I can make close to biglaw money in other fields as well. I guess its also time to brush up on case interviews because I might as well apply to consulting and banking while I'm at it...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:57 am

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The firm told me I was no offered because of work product but in my final review they told me I had good work product and I should not worry about receiving an offer. How do I answer the question of why I was no offered in an interview? Do I have to say it was because of work product?


What will your references from the firm say?


My mentor has already told me he will give me a good recommendation. I worked with him on four assignments and he gave me all great reviews.


Then don't say it was for work product. Maybe ask your mentor for advice? Maybe you can say if asked, that you didn't have a negative review the entire summer ?

What really happened here? Is it financial? Maybe you will never know.


My friend from undergrad who is a third year associate there told me that the firm implied to the associates that they over hired. I did have one bad review but they told me multiple times that the review was not a big deal and it was not that bad of a review.

If asked, should I tell firms that they over hired?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:My friend from undergrad who is a third year associate there told me that the firm implied to the associates that they over hired. I did have one bad review but they told me multiple times that the review was not a big deal and it was not that bad of a review.

If asked, should I tell firms that they over hired?

If that's your good faith belief, go with that

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:15 pm

Anyone know if management consulting is a viable alternative for no offers? Is a no offer as much of a black mark for consulting?

That said, does anyone know the recruiting timeline, I haven't looked at a consulting case in years so I'd need to study before attempting one...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if management consulting is a viable alternative for no offers? Is a no offer as much of a black mark for consulting?

That said, does anyone know the recruiting timeline, I haven't looked at a consulting case in years so I'd need to study before attempting one...


If it isn't at your OCI the you probably don't go to a target school which means your chances are very, very, very slim. Only MBB recruit JDs in any significant volume and of those M is the biggest recruiter.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:48 pm

When I got no offered the partner who was my mentor (who since left that sinking ship of a firm) made sure to stress that I should use him personally, not HR, as a reference. See if you guys can cop a similar arrangement. Definitely no need to say anything other than "the firm wasn't in a position to make me an offer."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Checking in. No offered after being told in my final review that I should expect an offer and to not tell anybody at school that I should be worried about getting an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Checking in. No offered after being told in my final review that I should expect an offer and to not tell anybody at school that I should be worried about getting an offer.


Yuck. What market?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:25 am

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:45 am

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:50 am

rad lulz wrote:I'm literally sittin in front of my computer ir8 as fuck on your behalf

That is just SHIT brother


When I asked why--pointing out that they told me not to worry--they told me they didn't want to get into it. Lolwut.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I'm literally sittin in front of my computer ir8 as fuck on your behalf

That is just SHIT brother


When I asked why--pointing out that they told me not to worry--they told me they didn't want to get into it. Lolwut.

This is so maddingly unhelpful. I cannot believe it. I guess they don't owe you an offer but they sure as fuck owe you a why not.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:58 am

rad lulz wrote:I'm literally sittin in front of my computer ir8 as fuck on your behalf

That is just SHIT brother


The firm not only fucks him over but also makes sure that he doesn't hurt their reputation. And then won't even tell him why they fucked him over.

I hate people right now.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:58 am

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: No Offer Guide and Support thread (no advice for SAs, 1Ls)

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I'm literally sittin in front of my computer ir8 as fuck on your behalf

That is just SHIT brother


When I asked why--pointing out that they told me not to worry--they told me they didn't want to get into it. Lolwut.


Do you have any references that you trust at the firm to support you? This is probably financial and they don't want to admit it to you. Be careful with references. Use the line that they weren't in a position to make an offer.

And then some day, after you get a job and this is all well behind you. Come back and out that firm. They deserve contempt for this move.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.