TTT OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FRFC3S

New

TTT OCI

Post by FRFC3S » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Last edited by FRFC3S on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

potted plant

New

Re: TTT OCI

Post by potted plant » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:03 pm

How is your school's OCI structured? Is it pre-select? Lottery? A mixture?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 pm

FRFC3S wrote:Hello all, long time listener... first time caller...

-TTT at night on a partial scholarship in the New England area
-Top 25-33% of my class
-No journal, but I was chosen to participate in my 1L oral argument competition
-Full-time Paralegal since 2011 small firms (0% chance at an offer from any of them)
-Did research for a professor last summer in addition to full-time legal employment
-No hard science background (or interest in IP for that matter)

I know you guys are all going to say super-competitive stuff like "drop out" or "solo practitioner", etc...
But JUST INCASE somebody actually wants to be helpful, I have a few questions:

1. I'm not sure what bid lists are about (I tried to do a forum search) but my school doesn't have a maximum amount of employers you can bid on
I bid on 15/17 available for OCI1 because the other 2 said strictly Top 10%. Bid lists are only necessary if you have to go to a pre-bidding counselor or something, right?

2. What are my odds of snagging an SA? If an employer didn't want students from this school, they wouldn't offer to accept resumes/interview, right? I want to stay local and I would be perfectly happy with Boston area mid-large firm Insurance Defense work.

Thanks.
1. Some of the higher ranked schools use bid lists to limit the number of interviews that each student can have during OCI. It is also used as a ranking system (e.g., if you bid a firm first, you have a better shot of getting an interview with them than if you bid them last). For your purposes, it's irrelevant and you shouldn't worry about it. I would, however, advise you to bid on every single firm/job that is available - regardless if they have hard and fast grade/journal requirements that you don't meet. You might be surprised to learn that these "strict" requirements aren't so strict.

2. Hard to say w/o knowing much about your school. As you are at a TTT, I would guess your chances are not good - I suggest you really hustle and make it clear why you want to work at the particular firm you are interviewing at. I would also be concerned about your grades, but at this point it's not really relevant.

Good luck and remember that interviews <> offers.

FRFC3S

New

Post by FRFC3S » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:05 am

Last edited by FRFC3S on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:16 am

FRFC3S wrote: Bidding essentially means applying.
I went to a small state flagship type of school, and that's how it worked here. You essentially send your applications directly to the employers via Symplicity and they'll get in touch if they want to interview you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:37 am

jkay wrote:
FRFC3S wrote: Bidding essentially means applying.
I went to a small state flagship type of school, and that's how it worked here. You essentially send your applications directly to the employers via Symplicity and they'll get in touch if they want to interview you.
If this is true then you should definitely bid on all the firms. Let the 10% only firms reject you themselves. Bidding on them costs you nothing and you never know what will happen, you could get an interview.

If these firms are coming to your school then yes, they're at least open to hiring people. But they may only be interested in the very top of the class. Without knowing your school or the selectivity of these firms nobody will be able to give you much insight into your chances. Talk to rising 3Ls at your school and your career services office. They'll have a mich better sense of how competitive you are.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:52 am

FRFC3S wrote:2. What are my odds of snagging an SA . . . with Boston area mid-large firm Insurance Defense work.
The odds are pretty low. Your best bet is to find a firm where you can serve as a full time law clerk (or paralegal) with the potential for permanent employment. I think the more traditional SA approach followed by mid/large firms is not likely to be useful for you.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:56 am

apply for the other two places - why wouldn't you?

it's pretty unlikely you'll get something. The reason firms go to TTT OCIs are for the top 5, not the top 5%, the top 5 students. YMMV depending on what firms we're talking about, but they are certainly not hiring median and it's a very uphill battle for those outside the top 2-3%.

Bidding is a thing at schools that don't have preselect or only have partial preselect. At other schools, the concept is unimportant.

FRFC3S

New

Post by FRFC3S » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”