Gtown Bidlist - 3.39

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ColtsFan88

Gtown Bidlist - 3.39

Postby ColtsFan88 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:23 am

thanks for the help everyone.
Last edited by ColtsFan88 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Gtown Bidlist - 3.39

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:58 am

It's very dangerous shooting for DC with your grades, you know that right? This list puts you in serious danger of striking out. You have literally 0 shot at some of the firms on here (like Kirkland DC, Skadden DC, Jones Day DC, probably Ropes, STB, Weil, Latham).

For the rest of the firms, you might be within their GPA range, but most of them have pretty small summer classes if I remember correctly, so it will be hard getting an offer from them. And remember, the GPA data includes pre-recession hiring practices and students that were hired on the old curve. The firms' GPA requirements are likely higher now than the medians that are listed.

Unless you are independently wealthy or have very, very solid connections in IN, I'd throw some NY firms up there. Even if you don't want to end up there long term, it'll be easier to switch markets or get a job after graduation with a biglaw SA on your resume. Plus, you'll make some money and drink your face off for a summer.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:01 am

Last edited by ColtsFan88 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:09 am

ColtsFan88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's very dangerous shooting for DC with your grades, you know that right? This list puts you in serious danger of striking out. You have literally 0 shot at some of the firms on here (like Kirkland DC, Skadden DC, Jones Day DC, probably Ropes, STB, Weil, Latham).

For the rest of the firms, you might be within their GPA range, but most for of them have pretty small summer classes if I remember correctly, so it will be hard getting an offer from them. And remember, the GPA data includes pre-recession hiring practices and students that were hired on the old curve. The firms' GPA requirements are likely higher now than the medians that are listed.

Unless you are independently wealthy or have very, very solid connections in IN, I'd throw some NY firms up there. Even if you don't want to end up there long term, it'll be easier to switch markets or get a job after graduation with a biglaw SA on your resume. Plus, you'll make some money and drink your face off for a summer.

Does it matter at all that I am going to bid on the Chicago offices of those firms you mentioned? And only mentioning DC as an "also interested in" office?

edit: hmmm, well now im sufficiently freaked out. thanks for the help though.

I'm not Gtown, but I agree with the above poster. You need to bid NYC firms because the D.C. firms are way more selective. You need to start mass-mailing NOW the Indy firms you would want to get an interview at. Additionally, you should mass mail all the Chicago firms you have a shot at with your grades that are not attending your OCI since you have strong midwest ties. Goldberg, Katten, seyfarth, mcguire woods, etc...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:13 am

ColtsFan88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's very dangerous shooting for DC with your grades, you know that right? This list puts you in serious danger of striking out. You have literally 0 shot at some of the firms on here (like Kirkland DC, Skadden DC, Jones Day DC, probably Ropes, STB, Weil, Latham).

For the rest of the firms, you might be within their GPA range, but most for of them have pretty small summer classes if I remember correctly, so it will be hard getting an offer from them. And remember, the GPA data includes pre-recession hiring practices and students that were hired on the old curve. The firms' GPA requirements are likely higher now than the medians that are listed.

Does it matter at all that I am going to bid on the Chicago offices of those firms you mentioned? And only mentioning DC as an "also interested in" office?

edit: hmmm, well now im sufficiently freaked out. thanks for the help though.

I'm the first anon poster. Also a GULC alumn.

No, it doesn't. I don't know much about the Chicago market, but I do know that Kirkland etc. are selective everywhere, and to the extent that their GPA requirements drop in a certain market, it happens in NY.

With a 3.39, you can't be ultra picky about firm/location if you want a job. Some people from GULC in your general GPA range will get jobs, but most will strike out. That's just how it is at a school as big as ours.

Return to “Legal Employment”