Fordham Bidlist

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fordham Bidlist

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:49 pm

It's crazy. I've seen these on TLS for a few years, and now it's finally my turn.

Fordham. Within top 10%. Working evening student. Law Review.

Thoughts on this bidlist (we bid 35, employers select 60%, lottery selects 40%)? My interests are more in litigation, though I'm certainly open to some transactional, if that's how the cards fall.

1 Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler
2 Gibson Dunn & Crutcher
3 Debevoise & Plimpton
4 Cahill Gordon & Reindel
5 Jones Day
6 Kirkland & Ellis
7 Proskauer Rose
8 Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison
9 Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel
10 Davis Polk & Wardwell
11 Weil Gotshal & Manges
12 Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson
13 Allen & Overy
14 Cravath Swaine & Moore
15 Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom
16 Sullivan & Cromwell
17 Simpson Thacher & Bartlett
18 Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
19 Latham & Watkins
20 Wilmer Hale
21 Sidley Austin
22 O'Melveny & [deleted]
23 Ropes & Gray
24 Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy
25 Wilkie Farr & Gallagher
26 Kasowitz Benson Torres & Friedman
27 White & Case
28 Morrison & Foerster
29 Clifford Chance
30 Linklaters
31 Paul Hastings
32 Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft
33 Bingham McCutchen
34 Kaye Scholer
35 Shearman & Sterling

kryptix

Re: Fordham Bidlist

Postby kryptix » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Just some advice, the way the Fordham lottery works, you can't get your firm you picked 2 unless everyone else who picked it 1 already got an interview, and so on. Therefore it's not worth it to bid anything 2-10 (the lottery slots really) unless they are doing at least 40 interviews.

Then again with your grades as an evening your likely among the top 2-3 evening GPAs so you will probably get something. Last year people down to close to median were getting V50 as working evening students.

My question with your bid list is that it doesn't say a thing about what you want to do. As an evening student, your work experience is one of your biggest selling points so you will want a way to tie that in to the firms you interview with. If you want to be safe, high bid the big Fordham firms, Weil, Skadden, Cahill, CWT, Millbank etc. also, Linklaters has taken 1-2 evening students every year for like 3 years now.

I would say you can pretty much go with the most selective firms but pay attention to the alumni networks at the firms to see how much support you will have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:19 pm

kryptix wrote:Just some advice, the way the Fordham lottery works, you can't get your firm you picked 2 unless everyone else who picked it 1 already got an interview, and so on. Therefore it's not worth it to bid anything 2-10 (the lottery slots really) unless they are doing at least 40 interviews.

Then again with your grades as an evening your likely among the top 2-3 evening GPAs so you will probably get something. Last year people down to close to median were getting V50 as working evening students.

My question with your bid list is that it doesn't say a thing about what you want to do. As an evening student, your work experience is one of your biggest selling points so you will want a way to tie that in to the firms you interview with. If you want to be safe, high bid the big Fordham firms, Weil, Skadden, Cahill, CWT, Millbank etc. also, Linklaters has taken 1-2 evening students every year for like 3 years now.

I would say you can pretty much go with the most selective firms but pay attention to the alumni networks at the firms to see how much support you will have.

I'm actually not entirely sure that is how the lottery preferencing plays out, but I'll take your word for it.

I would disagree with some of the advice here though, at least with respect to CWT and Cahill, and other firms that are similarly situated. Unless CWT and Cahill have drastically fewer interview slots this year or something, you do NOT need to bid them high. My year I think CWT had like 100+ interview slots and I think Cahill was in the 80ish range. With your GPA/LRev, you can almost guarantee that these firms will select you, irrespective of where you rank them. Its definitely worthwhile to re-order your ranking a bit based on the amount of interview slots for a given firm, where you can feel reasonably certain that you'll be a preselect (although that may feel kind of presumptuous and nerve-racking to assume)

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kryptix wrote:Just some advice, the way the Fordham lottery works, you can't get your firm you picked 2 unless everyone else who picked it 1 already got an interview, and so on. Therefore it's not worth it to bid anything 2-10 (the lottery slots really) unless they are doing at least 40 interviews.

I'm actually not entirely sure that is how the lottery preferencing plays out, but I'll take your word for it.

I would disagree with some of the advice here though, at least with respect to CWT and Cahill, and other firms that are similarly situated. Unless CWT and Cahill have drastically fewer interview slots this year or something, you do NOT need to bid them high. My year I think CWT had like 100+ interview slots and I think Cahill was in the 80ish range. With your GPA/LRev, you can almost guarantee that these firms will select you, irrespective of where you rank them. Its definitely worthwhile to re-order your ranking a bit based on the amount of interview slots for a given firm, where you can feel reasonably certain that you'll be a preselect (although that may feel kind of presumptuous and nerve-racking to assume)

I guess I was only putting CWT and Cahill up there because its guaranteed you won't waste a bid that way (and they always take some Fordham people). In my year my 2 and 3 bids were firms that only had 21 interview slots and I didn't get either (and how I found out how the system worked when I investigated afterwards). That's why I made the suggestions I did. Also I bid both in the teens thinking that would be enough to get a slot but got neither one through OCI.

Pretty much unless your bidding an IP only track, anything past 10 is realistically preselect only territory. That's why after the top 3 I would bid on firms that have a lot of slots regardless of whether you think they will preselect you (because your grades are high enough for anyone to preselect you). Its not a waste if you get the interview, and your most likely not going to get a firm without a preselect if it only has 21 slots if you bid it 4-10.

I would recommend picking 5 of the V10 firms high in your top 10, then putting the rest at the very bottom as preselect only. Then fill in the middle with firms that may not be as popular with Fordham people. I think it comes down to what your personal preferences are.

Anyway, you can PM me if you want and we can get in touch.

Also, is there a particular connection to Patterson? I'm not sure why your first bidding them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:40 pm

OK - advice taken and offer tracker consulted. Does this seem to be more reasonable?

Top firms are now those that seem to take decent numbers from both pre-select and lottery and have larger interview pools, with a few that seem to be good fits sprinkled in, even if they have fewer slots for interviews. The bottom firms are the more pre-select heavy. (Kryptix - CWT may be Fordham-friendly, but they're only taking a couple lotto callbacks each year ... that's why I kept them lower. Does that make any sense? Or am I still misunderstanding this process?)

1 Gibson Dunn & Crutcher
2 Debevoise & Plimpton
3 Weil Gotshal & Manges
4 Sidley Austin
5 Cahill Gordon & Reindel
6 Patterson Belkan Webb & Tyler
7 White & Case
8 Clifford Chance
9 Kaye Scholer
10 Jones Day
11 Davis Polk & Wardwell
12 Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy
13 Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom
14 Simpson Thacher & Bartlett
15 Kasowitz Benson Torres & Friedman
16 Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel
17 Clearly Gottlien Steen & Hamilton
18 Bingham McCutchen
19 Arnold & Porter
20 Kirkland & Ellis
21 Linklaters
22 Shearman & Sterling
23 Latham & Watkins
24 Proskauer Rose
25 Wilmer Hale
26 O'Melveny & [deleted]
27 Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson
28 Sullivan & Cromwell
29 Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison
30 Paul Hastings
31 Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft
32 Wilkie Farr & Gallagher
33 Morrison & Foerster
34 Cravath Swaine & Moore
35 Allen & Overy

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:50 am

Looks better to me but keep in mind tha the Jones Day numbers are skewed if your not IP. Their head of IP is from Fordham and one Fordham each year for the past 10 years has been a science PHd in IP pretty much.

Like I said, you can PM me your contact info and I can give you a call.

Return to “Legal Employment”