Bidlists are due tomorrow? Whoops. (3.33 @ NYU, please help)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bidlists are due tomorrow? Whoops. (3.33 @ NYU, please help)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:30 pm

B+ average at NYU, so a little above median. White male K-JD with no significant work experience or softs. Probably bombed the writing competition, so I'm guessing a secondary journal. Very meh summer job I'm currently procrasting at. Would really rather do litigation, but care far more about finding a job. Top 40 are all NYC firms. Any help is much appreciated.

UPDATED LIST

1. Proskauer
2. Paul Hastings
3. Akin Gump
4. Mayer Brown
5. Kasowitz
6. Sidley Austin
7. Gibson Dunn
8. Hogan Lovells
9. Bryan Cave
10. Jones Day
11. DLA Piper
12. Willkie Farr
13. Kaye Scholer
14. Arnold and Porter
15. Fried Frank
16. Kirkland
17. Orrick Herrington
18. Bingham McCutchen
19. Dechert
20. Brown Rudnick
21. Foley Lardner
22. Kramer Levin
23. Goodwin Procter
24. Katten Muchin
25. Milbank Tweed
26. K&L Gates
27. Chadbourne Parke
28. O'Melveny
29. Hughes Hubbard
30. Stroock
31. Cadwalader
32. Clifford Chance
33. Weil Gotshal
34. Kelley Drye
35. Holland and Knight
36. Greenberg Traurig
37. Carter Ledyard
38. Morgan Lewis
39. White and Case
40. Latham and Watkins
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Re: Bidlists are due tomorrow? Whoops. (3.33 @ NYU, please help)

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Consider a different market than DC if you have plausible connections to one. DC is very competitive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:59 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Consider a different market than DC if you have plausible connections to one. DC is very competitive.

I really don't. I could probably bullshit my ties to Boston, but there aren't many firms coming to OCI from there. Mainly, I just don't want to work in fucking New Jersey.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Why is Desmarais on here? Do you have a hard science background?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why is Desmarais on here? Do you have a hard science background?

I don't, and thanks for catching that, I accidentally copy-and-pasted the wrong thing from 35 down. Tore up my bidlist after submitting it to OCS and thought I'd fixed everything. Rest of it looks good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:03 pm

OP here. Made some significant alterations to the list and would really appreciate any feedback.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Made some significant alterations to the list and would really appreciate any feedback.

Looks good. What's Latham's cutoff though? Usually they have around a 3.4 elsewhere

(you don't actually have to tell me what your school released cutoff is, what i'm really asking is "do you make their cutoff?" because Latham is one of the few firms with hard and fast GPA floors. That said, it's last on your list so you probably wont get it anyway. It looks like a solid list, otherwise)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:16 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Made some significant alterations to the list and would really appreciate any feedback.

Looks good. What's Latham's cutoff though? Usually they have around a 3.4 elsewhere

(you don't actually have to tell me what your school released cutoff is, what i'm really asking is "do you make their cutoff?" because Latham is one of the few firms with hard and fast GPA floors. That said, it's last on your list so you probably wont get it anyway. It looks like a solid list, otherwise)

It is 3.4. But honestly, I was running out of firms that had a) a grade cutoff I was remotely close to and b) enough interview spots to even potentially have a chance at getting one, so throwing it at 40 is just whatever.

Thanks for the feedback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Did more tweaking because I am utterly neurotic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:28 pm

mr.hands wrote:

Is Latham really more selective than Gibson?

Return to “Legal Employment”