Stupid to Lateral?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Stupid to Lateral?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:09 pm

First year associate in a secondary market, contemplating a lateral move to another litigation group for higher salary.

The money would be fantastic and I would increase my exit options... But the firm I am considering jumping to no-offered their entire summer class last summer. (I guess things picked up and now they need a young associate.) Currently at a place where I have good job stability, but pay is lower, and will never be what I would earn in my first year at 2nd firm.

Would it be dumb to lateral knowing that this 2nd firm is fine with no offering everyone in a summer, or should I not look too much into that fact?

Any insight is much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Stupid to Lateral?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:13 pm

I'd stay. Higher pay isn't worth much if its the kind of place that stabs employees in the back to easily. No-offering an entire summer class is a shameful thing to do, and I would never want to get anywhere close to a firm like that. Job security is worth a lot more to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:31 pm

Even if pay would jump from $90k to $150k?

Hypothetically, firm is [redacted].

Tempted to just stay, but I don't know that I can honestly say no. Risk could be worth it?

[Edited just in case - don't want anyone changing their minds on me because I'm whining about a firm no offering their summers...]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:59 am

Jesus, 60k?

Do you have loans?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:06 am

Take the money and run. Make a plan B when you need one. But I'm not very risk averse. There's a good chance things will work out fine with your lateral and then you can lateral again to a potentially more secure and advantageous position with similar pay, when the time is right.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:03 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

treeey86

Postby treeey86 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:31 am

(2nd year attorney- in-house if that matters)

I would lateral.

Your only reservation seems to be the fact the new firm no-offered an entire summer class. Can you blame them? Firms hire based on need. That firm had no need for a crop of untrained and expensive newly minted JDs the firm would have to spend a lot of time training and billing out at a lower cost to the client (or hiding the costs of a 1st year attorney from the bill).

It sounds like the 2nd firm suddenly has a very specific need that you match. You now have a year under your belt and therefore the firm has to spend less time training you and can justify your cost to the client. Lateral hiring is based on the firm's belief that you can contribute immediately. The fact they are open to someone with some but not a lot of experience also seems to imply the firm is looking for a young associate they can bring up through the ranks.

I would say go for it if the money is right.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:29 am

Yes, I have loads of loans. The extra money would be... Well, there are no words.

Thank you for the responses. What I have decided is this - I just need to make the move. Loyalty is something that doesn't exist anymore in business (and maybe it never did - times had just never been this tough before), and if they have a need to fill, my job should be safe for some amount of time in any case, assuming I don't screw it up somehow... While it is awful in concept to no offer a summer class, it's a fiscally sound decision.

I guess I just need to make sure I don't end up becoming a fiscally unsound decision myself.

Return to “Legal Employment”