The 3L Job Search

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chrisbru

The 3L Job Search

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:43 pm

So, what is this like? I'm at a firm that is too small to give offers at the end of the summer, and won't know if they will need an additional attorney until at least Spring semester. As such... I should probably pretend like there is no chance I can get a job here, and do the job search as normal.

What's the timeline like? I assume OCI will be a bust. My grades are top 1/3, but not any higher than that. T30 school. My only target markets are Midwestern cities. I guess I just don't know whether I should be writing cover letters after work and getting them in the mail this month, or waiting until fall semester is underway.

DocHawkeye

Re: The 3L Job Search

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm looking into moving back to Iowa after I finish next spring (sometimes I wonder why I didn't go to Drake...). Any leads in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City market? We could always hang out a single together (although I don't think we've ever met...).

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:26 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:I'm looking into moving back to Iowa after I finish next spring (sometimes I wonder why I didn't go to Drake...). Any leads in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City market? We could always hang out a single together (although I don't think we've ever met...).

Haha... We have two CR firms coming to OCI, no IC. They all seem to hire based on their needs at the time, so it all depends. Unfortunately, the gf decided she wants to go to school... And Iowa is her third choice (I really want out of IC), but her top two are U of M and Northwestern. So... I am in this weird position where I need to job search 3 places at once, Des Moines (because I need out of IC, and we can do an hour and a half distance), Minneapolis, and Chicago. I have no idea where to start with the non-Iowa cities, because I've never tried looking for law jobs outside of Iowa.

Edit: But yeah, seriously considering hanging a shingle in DSM or IC. My buddy and I even met with some people about starting a practice with minimal experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:21 pm

bump

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:29 am

rad lulz wrote:Standard copypasta

rad lulz wrote:

Also there is already a thread for this

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=192753

tl;dr it's not pretty

I mean, this is total bullshit. I'm at a Midwestern T30, and only 15% of our class comes in with job offers, but typically 50% or so are employment secure in firm jobs by graduation.

I'm just looking for a troll-free timeline. I didn't realize my CSO would be better advice than TLS. That might be a first.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:32 am

chrisbru wrote:

rad lulz wrote:

tl;dr it's not pretty

I mean, this is total bullshit. I'm at a Midwestern T30, and only 15% of our class comes in with job offers, but typically 50% or so are employment secure in firm jobs by graduation.

I'm just looking for a troll-free timeline. I didn't realize my CSO would be better advice than TLS. That might be a first.

I did 3L job search bro

100% not trolling

edit: best things you can do are get on your network game and see if you can find a position during the year

There isn't really that much of a "season"

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:05 am

rad lulz wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

rad lulz wrote:

tl;dr it's not pretty

I did 3L job search bro

100% not trolling

edit: best things you can do are get on your network game and see if you can find a position during the year

We're not trolling, bro. Be prepared for misery. Still looking for a jerb post graduation.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:08 am

rad lulz wrote:I did 3L job search bro

100% not trolling

This was more what I was looking for, thanks. 1L/2L job search was much more structured.

To be honest, I'm not worried about finding a job. I just want to put myself in the best possible position.

Return to “Legal Employment”