Transferring offices within a firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hutz_and_Goodman

Transferring offices within a firm

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:58 am

I want to work in litigation in NYC and I'm applying to some NYC firms. I'm living and attended a law school in a secondary market. I had a 1L SA in my market that went well. My concern with NYC is that I know at some point I will be let go--whether it's year 3/4/5. I'd like to try to make partner in a big law office either in the market I'm currently in or another smaller market where it is more possible to make partner.

Two questions:
1. If I spend X years in NYC office of firm and then transfer to another office of same firm, do I start from scratch or do those years count toward becoming partner?
2. Is there a significant training disadvantage starting in NYC rather than a secondary market, given that I'm more likely to be doing discovery type review in NYC and more likely to have a bit more responsibility in a secondary,?

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

ZyzzBrah

Re: Transferring offices within a firm

Postby ZyzzBrah » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:51 am

This is just my own thoughts, but I'd worry about surviving at the firm for that long rather than trying to make partner. Unfortunately you (any everyone else) likely won't make it. I'd do what you think is best for you.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:22 pm

I'm not sure I understand this response. I could be transitioning after 1-2 years. The question is whether its crazy to start in NYC if you intend to stay and try to make partner in a smaller market.

ZyzzBrah

Postby ZyzzBrah » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I'm not sure I understand this response. I could be transitioning after 1-2 years. The question is whether its crazy to start in NYC if you intend to stay and try to make partner in a smaller market.

my response is essentially: you have very little chance of making partner at a big law firm regardless of where you stay, so go where you want. It may decrease your chances to move out of nyc, but, even if it did, the chances you had were so small that the effect is negligible.

Work in an area you want to work, dont worry about making partner because you, just like everyone else in biglaw, probably won't.

Return to “Legal Employment”