I am a clutz. How do I handle professional lunches?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I am a clutz. How do I handle professional lunches?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Ok, seriously - I have tried so hard to be more in control but I'm really clumsy. I always end up spilling something on myself or getting food all over my mouth if I bite into anything. So now I'm looking for the most non-messy dish that I can order at any restaurant without fail because these firm lunch/dinners really stress me out. I get really self conscious and subsequently can't hold a decent conversation, but otherwise I am extremely outgoing and personable. I know this sounds really stupid but .. it's sad and frustrating, and I can never enjoy myself at these lunches. (Can anyone?)

Help!!! Any calming/anecdotal/suggestions and advice would be great.

Lacepiece23

Re: I am a clutz. How do I handle professional lunches?

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:44 pm

I'm the same way. I believe there are a lot of books out there that cover foods that you should order at these things. I tend to eat before I go and order something small and easy to eat. Some type of grilled chicken comes to mind. Sandwhiches are out because of all the sauces and eating with your hands.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Get a steak so you can eat it the European way and impress your companions.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Would it be alright to order steak or is that too high of a price point?

commoner

Postby commoner » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:50 pm

order appetizers like meatballs and just keep wiping your face. stay away from salads. try soup, it is very calming.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Last edited by Redfactor on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:53 pm

I was such a klutz that my parents used to call me "dump-it," and I can eat a professional meal just fine. There's no excuse for not having grown out of that stage by now. Order a boneless chop or chicken breast (broiled and sans sauce is good) or penne pasta (not with red sauce). Eat slowly. Pay attention to your companions while you're chewing, or in between bites. Only take a bite when you can give your full concentration to cutting it, picking it up, making sure it's not dripping anything, and getting it safely to your mouth. Take small bites. Use your napkin frequently. Never reach for anything (like your water glass) without looking. Never set anything down without looking. Don't order any kind of meat on the bone, long pasta or anything that requires fingers (ribs, artichokes, tacos, shellfish on the shell). If you don't think you can cut something up without making a mess (large cherry tomatoes, I'm looking at you), just leave it on the plate.

Basically, plan ahead, move slowly and deliberately, and pay attention to what you're doing.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:54 pm

Last edited by Redfactor on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:55 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Would it be alright to order steak or is that too high of a price point?

Probably just depends on the place, but in my experience, lawyers usually take advantage of eating on the firm's dime. Just don't order first and get something similar to what your other diners get.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:00 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Would it be alright to order steak or is that too high of a price point?

Follow everyone's lead. If people are ordering $20 entrees and you order a $60 steak, you might look like an asshole. But no need to get a salad if everyone is blowing the bank. If you happen to order first, aim for some middle ground.

But honestly, even if you order something 3x more than everyone else's dish, I doubt anyone will really care.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:44 am

I spilled water on a partner at our summer welcome dinner. I got no-offered. But my guess is that wasn't why. Relax ;)

Postby 20160810 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:10 am

You're just going to have to gut it out and hope for the best. You'll have to learn the skill at some point, and as it happens, now's that point. Just make sure you know where the drinks are at all times.

Return to “Legal Employment”