Good/Heartwarming stories so far during your SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Good/Heartwarming stories so far during your SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:18 pm

Hello everyone!

Hope this summer has been going well.

About 3 weeks into my SA I received a project from a junior partner. It was an area of law I had zero knowledge about.

I basically spent a ton of time researching and writing a memo that was practically useless to the partner. At a follow up meeting, the partner said that he was concerned that I didn't grasp the project's concept. He also provided a ton of edits to my memo, which basically consisted of a ton of redlining. He trimmed my 5 page memo down to 2 pages.

So, I went back at it. Met with him again. And, again, I did not give him what he wanted. At that time, I just thought, well, I am so screwed. He says he might just grab an associate to do it. I asked him for one last chance.

The final time, I was able to track down the cases he wanted. And I managed to keep the memo to 2 pages.

But, I thought for sure I was going to get a terrible evaluation, and braced for the worse at my mid-summer review.

Low and behold when I read his evaluation it was one of the most thoughtful things I have ever read. He said that I have a lot of "heart" and, unlike other summer associates, was willing to quickly adjust and learn. He mentions how I didn't hit the project on the ball right at the start, but my constant communication and willingness to work hard more than made up for it. He said that a true trait of an excellent lawyer is when mistakes happen, you quickly and correctly address it. That keeps the client happy, and the partner happy.

He recommended me for an offer, and said he enjoyed working with me.

Pokemon

Re: Good/Heartwarming stories so far during your SA?

Postby Pokemon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:35 pm

:roll:
I was expecting you to talk about saving a kitten.

Return to “Legal Employment”