Stylish firms vs. Conservative firms in NYC?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Stylish firms vs. Conservative firms in NYC?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:46 am

Which NYC firms require very conservative dress and which allow for dressing with a little professional style? I don't think I could stand being at a firm where everyone wore the same navy suit/white shirt every single day and no one had any style. Frankly, I'd rather not wear a conservative suit every day.

Anonymous User

Re: Stylish firms vs. Conservative firms in NYC?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:48 am

Most firms don't require suits every day in general. Only a select few NY firm offices such as Cravath and Jones Day require business formal attire (i.e. suits) everyday. Your dichotomy is sort of odd. Either a firm allows for comfortable biz casual, or they are one of the select few that require suits. Thats the distinction you are dealing with, not between "stylish & conservative" dress.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:58 am

OP here - I guess for further explanation - which firms are more trendy/cutting edge in terms of what is worn. Kind of a clothing version of fratty vs. nerdy firms. Once you get beyond suits, are there firms that allow dress that is business appropriate but still more expressive? For men and women.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:12 am

I am pretty sure that no firm that is business casual is going to restrict what a male associate can wear to white shirts and navy pants, so that seems kind of ridiculous. At my firm (which is known as a more culturally conservative firm in general), it seems acceptable for male associates to wear solid or checkered oxford shirts of just about any reasonable color, pants that aren't necessarily part of a suit, or a beard. But I mean, there is only so much room for variance - you still have to wear a long-sleeved button up shirt and dressy pants. Beyond that, I think people have to make their own judgment call about where to draw a line between personal style and what might be detrimental to their career at the firm, which is probably measured in terms of certain partners silently disapproving rather than someone telling you to wear different clothes.

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:23 am

There are ways to be expressive in a navy suit and white shirt.

Return to “Legal Employment”