DC Bidlist advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC Bidlist advice

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Inside top 10% at UVA. Leaning towards litigation/regulatory work in DC. Missing anything? Suggestions on which firms to put near the top?

Williams & Connelly
Covington
WilmerHale
Arnold & Porter
Skadden
Gibson Dunn
Kirkland & Ellis
Latham
Hogan Lovells
Sidley Austin
Jones Day
Akin Gump
O'Melveny & Meyers
Patton Boggs
Steptoe
Crowell & Moring
Wiley Rein
Ropes & Gray
Wilkie Farr & Gallagher
McDermott Will & Emery
Arent Fox
K & L Gates
DLA Piper
Winston & Strawn
Cleary
Weil
Jenner & Block
King & Spaulding
Hunton & Williams
Baker Botts
Goodwin Procter
Pilsbury Winthrop
Bingham McCutchen
Venable
Morgan Lewis
Holland & Knight
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft
Vinson & Elkins
White & Case
Paul Hastings
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Fried, Frank
Fulbright & Jaworski
Alston & Bird
Cooley
Paul, Weiss
Foley & Lardner
Morrison & Foerster
Sullivan & Cromwell
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundance95

Re: UVA Bidlist DC

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:11 pm

Granted, its been a full year since I did my bidlist, but I think that with top 10% grades your order of bidding doesn't matter because order has no influence on preselects.

Anonymous User

Re: UVA Bidlist DC

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:53 pm

sundance95 wrote:Granted, its been a full year since I did my bidlist, but I think that with top 10% grades your order of bidding doesn't matter because order has no influence on preselects.

Career services said to pay attention to my top 10 and to not worry about the ordering for the rest. Just want to make sure I'm not missing any firms because I was a little overwhelmed the information out there. From the threads i read it seems like arnold, covington, wc, cleary, gibson are ones i should put at the top given my interests but not completely sure.

Cavalier

Re: DC Bidlist advice

Postby Cavalier » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:31 pm

With those grades, you should use your top 10 for firms that you're genuinely interested in but that have only one interview room. I have no idea what the preselect/lottery ratio is now, but let's say it's 60/40. If A&P has three rooms, they're going to preselect approximately 36 students, so you'll almost certainly get preselected. But if Akin has just one room, they're only going to preselect about 12 students, so if you're really interested in Akin then you should probably use a high rank on them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:53 pm

Cavalier wrote:With those grades, you should use your top 10 for firms that you're genuinely interested in but that have only one interview room. I have no idea what the preselect/lottery ratio is now, but let's say it's 60/40. If A&P has three rooms, they're going to preselect approximately 36 students, so you'll almost certainly get preselected. But if Akin has just one room, they're only going to preselect about 12 students, so if you're really interested in Akin then you should probably use a high rank on them.

Oh wow that makes alot of sense.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:24 pm

But as sundance said, you'll probably hit the interview cap and you won't participate in the lottery at all, unless you decline under. Just make your top 5 using cavalier's suggestion

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:18 pm

Cavalier wrote:With those grades, you should use your top 10 for firms that you're genuinely interested in but that have only one interview room. I have no idea what the preselect/lottery ratio is now, but let's say it's 60/40. If A&P has three rooms, they're going to preselect approximately 36 students, so you'll almost certainly get preselected. But if Akin has just one room, they're only going to preselect about 12 students, so if you're really interested in Akin then you should probably use a high rank on them.

Yeah, this is the way to go. No real shot at W&C, Covington (assuming no IP), or Jenner unless by 'inside the top 10%' includes inside the top 5%, but if you want to go down swinging then go for it.

Return to “Legal Employment”