Quinn Emmanuel Callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Just got Quinn Emanuel callback, have several questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:04 pm

CB in LA last year and I was not anywhere close to LA.

It's a standard CB so all of your expenses are covered.

I got an offer on the spot, but was told that it depends on whether there is a partner in the office who has offer letter authorization and is available (so don't freak out or anything if you walk out w/o one).

I delayed mine a bit after getting the invite, but it wasn't as late as you're proposing.

Standard laid back chats with people generally. They want to know what you're interested in and why. FYI - Your answer better be litigation, preferably in a courtroom setting. They make a big deal out of how everyone gets trial experience.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FYI - Your answer better be litigation, preferably in a courtroom setting.

I really wish someone would go into a Quinn interview and straight faced say they want to do transactional and only transactional.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did they pay for your flight? I'm quite a ways from the office I applied to and couldn't tell from the email whether that was included.

How soon after the callback did you get an offer/rejection? I'd love to have an offer in the bag early (assuming I even get one), but if they take a while to make a decision then I will just wait till the end of the summer to go out there.

Are your chances affected the longer you take to go to a callback? I would either head out there next week or early August, you think there's a difference?

Finally, what sort of questions did they ask you? I haven't had any firm interviews yet and am curious.

I had a QE offer in a previous year that I turned down.

Yes they pay. Every single biglaw firm I interviewed paid and none required me to front the money. They will provide you with the phone number of the travel agency they use. If for some reason you have any issues with this, call recruiting and they will sort this out. Also, just in case you were wondering, they will also pay for hotel (again set up by the firm) and all reasonable meal expenses (you keep receipts) and cab to and from airport (again keep receipts).

I received an offer two days after my CB. FYI, an early offer is of course great and will relax you in future interviews, but you don't want an offer too early either. NALP provides you 28 days in which a firm (to be compliant with NALP anyways) has to keep an offer open. After that, the firm does not need to keep its offer open. Right now, you are so early, your other call backs won't even likely fall within that range. That's fine if Quinn is high on your range, but it's likely not. I'd do the early August interview. You are still early enough that you won't have to worry about them filling their class, and you won't have to worry about asking for an extension to keep your 28 day clock running. If you can get an interview at the end of July this is probably the best of both worlds.

My interview was a standard CB. Just research the firm and be relaxed. Good luck.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:10 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes they pay. Every single biglaw firm I interviewed paid and none required me to front the money. They will provide you with the phone number of the travel agency they use. If for some reason you have any issues with this, call recruiting and they will sort this out. Also, just in case you were wondering, they will also pay for hotel (again set up by the firm) and all reasonable meal expenses (you keep receipts) and cab to and from airport (again keep receipts).

I received an offer two days after my CB. FYI, an early offer is of course great and will relax you in future interviews, but you don't want an offer too early either. NALP provides you 28 days in which a firm (to be compliant with NALP anyways) has to keep an offer open. After that, the firm does not need to keep its offer open. Right now, you are so early, your other call backs won't even likely fall within that range. That's fine if Quinn is high on your range, but it's likely not. I'd do the early August interview. You are still early enough that you won't have to worry about them filling their class, and you won't have to worry about asking for an extension to keep your 28 day clock running. If you can get an interview at the end of July this is probably the best of both worlds.

Since Quinn is doing their new thing, they hold offers open later than the 28 day window (at least they did last year). I don't remember what it was but I think they said something like Oct/Nov.

I also don't think this question is that absurd since I have heard of Quinn acting kinda stingy i/r/t expenses before.

guano

Postby guano » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:I really wish someone would go into a Quinn interview and ask if they got rid of all therapists in the office

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FYI - Your answer better be litigation, preferably in a courtroom setting.

I really wish someone would go into a Quinn interview and straight faced say they want to do transactional and only transactional.

I really wish someone would go into a Quinn interview and ask if they got rid of all the rapists in the office

That's a clear no though. I think showing off an "Oceans Rise, Cities Fall, Quinn Remains" tatt would be a good response to "why Quinn?"

soj

Postby soj » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:18 pm

If Quinn for some reason forces you to respond to their offer before you're done OCI (and especially if you haven't even finished your screeners), just accept then renege after you get a better offer. Seems fair to me.

guano

Postby guano » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:21 pm

soj wrote:If Quinn for some reason forces you to respond to their offer before you're done OCI (and especially if you haven't even finished your screeners), just accept then renege after you get a better offer. Seems fair to me.

Must be great to go into OCI with an offer in hand

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:23 pm

bk1 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I really wish someone would go into a Quinn interview and ask if they got rid of all the rapists in the office

That's a clear no though. I think showing off an "Oceans Rise, Cities Fall, Quinn Remains" tatt would be a good response to "why Quinn?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:50 pm

by any chance are most/all of you who received callbacks on law review/ top 25%? i understand quinn is very selective but have heard rumors that they do accept some people slightly above median.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:by any chance are most/all of you who received callbacks on law review/ top 25%? i understand quinn is very selective but have heard rumors that they do accept some people slightly above median.

It depends on the school. I'm top 15% at MVP and I haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi all,

If you're not given an offer on the spot, does that mean ding? And are dings snail-mail or e-mail?

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you're not given an offer on the spot, does that mean ding?

can you read?
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=211962&start=50#p6910913

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:48 pm

As other posters have said, Quinn paid travel expenses--they also were amenable to putting me on Virgin American instead of the godawful shitboomer legacy carriers, unlike many other firms.

I did a CB w/their LA office and was offered on the spot at the end of the CB. I actually found it to be a bit of an uncomfortable hard sell--I had an impressive (and somewhat intimidating) partner asking 'so what is it going to take for you to accept today?' which forced a long and meandering answer which tried to politely say 'Nothing, because I have nothing to lose by doing on campus interviews...and its not like you're going to throw around $$$.' However, this was one of the first interviews in their new recruiting system, so its very possible that my impression was simply the result of a type-A litigator + new system, rather than a firm-wide policy to pressure acceptances.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:01 pm

sundance95 wrote:I did a CB w/their LA office and was offered on the spot at the end of the CB. I actually found it to be a bit of an uncomfortable hard sell--I had an impressive (and somewhat intimidating) partner asking 'so what is it going to take for you to accept today?'

Anon above, same experience at same office. Possibly (probably) with same partner.

Only other place this happened to me was at S&C.

Anonymous User wrote:by any chance are most/all of you who received callbacks on law review/ top 25%? i understand quinn is very selective but have heard rumors that they do accept some people slightly above median.

Do you go to HYS? I have heard that QE's offer rates at those schools are extremely high.

Anonymous User

Late app to Quinn

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Any one heard anything about people who submit an app in July v. June?

Didn't catch the Quinn memo until I decided to stop living under a rock and check this forum. Thoughts? Any chance at a CB?

soj

Re: Late app to Quinn

Postby soj » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:22 pm

are we really going to have three active quinn emanuel threads going on at once?

edit: nope. merging for the sake of centralized info.

Anonymous User

Re: Quinn Emmanuel Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:36 am

Just received a callback for the DC office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Top 10% in a T50 - I got a callback a few days after my OCI interview in August. Didn't have to travel for the CB so no helpful info for that. Got an offer on the spot. Feel free to PM me for interview details.

lameslice57

Postby lameslice57 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just received a callback for the DC office.

Stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:11 am

lameslice57 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just received a callback for the DC office.

Stats?

Top 5% MVP, LR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:59 pm

FWIW - I sent in application about three weeks ago and was told I would "hear back" by the end of next week. Sounds like snail mail ding? Has anybody been straight up denied yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Have there been any offers this year that weren't on-the-spot? I know there were in previous years (from earlier in this thread and last year's thread), but it looks like everyone with an offer this year was told there and then. Is that correct?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have there been any offers this year that weren't on-the-spot? I know there were in previous years (from earlier in this thread and last year's thread), but it looks like everyone with an offer this year was told there and then. Is that correct?

Of the two offers I know of this year (both NY), one was on the spot, one was within a few days.

Return to “Legal Employment”