NYU EIW Madness 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I spoke to career services and didnt really feel that they were helpful.

lol most of them just collect paychecks. but seriously what could they do for us at this point?
I asked what the callback to offer ratio was for one of the firms and didnt ask for a specific number just the ballpark and they told me they can't tell me that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I spoke to career services and didnt really feel that they were helpful.

lol most of them just collect paychecks. but seriously what could they do for us at this point?
I don't think they want to give a competitive advantage at this point, but in a few weeks, I think the tune will change for people who are offer-less

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:10 pm

I live in D'Ag and I can't believe they got rid of the second doormen who used to check for ID cards while still keeping useless career service office employees. By the way, I got dinged by Gibson via snail mail today.

What reason could they have for not giving the ratio like CLS does? Does Wendy calling really persuade firms to take NYU students?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Freshfields via snail mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I live in D'Ag and I can't believe they got rid of the second doormen who used to check for ID cards while still keeping useless career service office employees. By the way, I got dinged by Gibson via snail mail today.

What reason could they have for not giving the ratio like CLS does? Does Wendy calling really persuade firms to take NYU students?

This Wendy thing is hilarious. Maybe I should hit her up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:19 pm

There has to be a way for NYU to figure out how to have EIW earlier. It definitely hurts us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have CB from Weil, Cadwalader or Gibson?

Received CB from Cadwalader but declined, hopefully it goes to an NYU person

I still haven't heard from them post-screener, so I hopefully agree that it will too!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:34 pm

Has anyone heard from Delaware, New Jersey, or Boston firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just witnessed a friend of mine get an offer call from a firm I really want. We interviewed on the same day.
...I'm refreshing my email for the inevitable ding, but they probably won't even have the courtesy of sending it today and will instead make me wait until next week.

What firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There has to be a way for NYU to figure out how to have EIW earlier. It definitely hurts us.

Seriously, wtf. I just scheduled a callback for the week of September 16th. And that was the earliest they could do for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:59 pm

Protip: if you have a mid/late-September callback, wait about a week, then call the recruiting folks at the firm again and ask if you could move up your interview if there are any cancellations. If your schedule is fairly flexible, you'll almost always get an earlier interview this way and it signals your interest in the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Protip: if you have a mid/late-September callback, wait about a week, then call the recruiting folks at the firm again and ask if you could move up your interview if there are any cancellations. If your schedule is fairly flexible, you'll almost always get an earlier interview this way and it signals your interest in the firm.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:34 am

Anybody hear from Paul Hastings CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:sounds like everyone i know either got 0-1 cbs or 8+. not a lot of middle ground, and lots of those 8+ people are around median.

I have 6, but many of my friends are between 2 and 4. I don't know about the no middle ground thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:42 am

Hey guys,

I am an NYU 3L and wanted to share my experience from last year in case it is helpful to anyone. I had slightly above median grades, great work experience and slightly below average interviewing ability. I was a borderline candidate for a lot of firms and ended up getting some late callbacks.

If you do not have a rejection, do not give up all hope. I got a callback from Proskauer 2 weeks after my original screener interview and a callback from Stroock and Stroock 3 weeks after my screener, which I had to schedule for the end of September. So some firms do have a borderline candidate list that they will hit up if they need to. However, most of the firms that did not get back to me were dings as you would expect.

In the end I got 5 callbacks through EIW and went 0 for 5 on those callbacks. After a few weeks, career services created an opt in resume book for firms to look at for filling remaining slots, a list of firms to massmail (which led to nothing), and some firms came to Fall OCI, I got two more callbacks through the resume book and OCI. Struck out at both of those too. I found career services to be mostly useless during this whole process. Irene supposedly made some calls too but that did not help at all.

Luckily, I ended up getting a government job with potential for entry level offer that I preferred to the firm stuff anyway, but due to the later government timeline I did not get it till near the end of fall semester. Please be conscious of the fact that many people are struggling in the job hunt right now when engaging in conversation. I had several other friends that struck out at EIW and spent much of last year looking for jobs and several of them withdrew completely from the law school social scene because too many people would obnoxiously start conversations with "what are you doing this summer" (usually as an opening to talk about their own firm job!) or some variation and they were embarrassed and self conscious about the fact that they struck out.

Good luck everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:52 am

Any movement on Weil (NK)? He was a last minute sub-in for another interviewer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys,

I am an NYU 3L and wanted to share my experience from last year in case it is helpful to anyone. I had slightly above median grades, great work experience and slightly below average interviewing ability. I was a borderline candidate for a lot of firms and ended up getting some late callbacks.

If you do not have a rejection, do not give up all hope. I got a callback from Proskauer 2 weeks after my original screener interview and a callback from Stroock and Stroock 3 weeks after my screener, which I had to schedule for the end of September. So some firms do have a borderline candidate list that they will hit up if they need to. However, most of the firms that did not get back to me were dings as you would expect.

In the end I got 5 callbacks through EIW and went 0 for 5 on those callbacks. After a few weeks, career services created an opt in resume book for firms to look at for filling remaining slots, a list of firms to massmail (which led to nothing), and some firms came to Fall OCI, I got two more callbacks through the resume book and OCI. Struck out at both of those too. I found career services to be mostly useless during this whole process. Irene supposedly made some calls too but that did not help at all.

Luckily, I ended up getting a government job with potential for entry level offer that I preferred to the firm stuff anyway, but due to the later government timeline I did not get it till near the end of fall semester. Please be conscious of the fact that many people are struggling in the job hunt right now when engaging in conversation. I had several other friends that struck out at EIW and spent much of last year looking for jobs and several of them withdrew completely from the law school social scene because too many people would obnoxiously start conversations with "what are you doing this summer" (usually as an opening to talk about their own firm job!) or some variation and they were embarrassed and self conscious about the fact that they struck out.

Good luck everyone!

Thank you for sharing this. I'm going through something similar right now with regard to silence from firms and am trying to hold out hope for a late CB (especially from one of the secondary markets I applied to). It's really difficult for me to talk about in person, and I'm terrified of striking out. It's great to hear everything worked out for you in the end. You've given me some renewed hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:12 am

Skadden offer. CB was on Tuesday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Skadden offer. CB was on Tuesday.

Congrats! Same. :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:17 am

Did the offer come today (on a weekend)? Or yesterday?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Did the offer come today (on a weekend)? Or yesterday?

This morning.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:35 pm

anyone hear from milbank post-CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear from milbank post-CB?

Offer Friday afternoon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Recent grad here. Two pieces of advice.

1. Worry about things you can control. Don't sweat the fact that EIW is too late, your callbacks are too late, etc. It will come out in the wash, even though right now it's frustrating that you don't have offers and folks at HLS or CLS or whatever might. It's definitely too early to worry. (It is not too early to mass mail, though.)
2. Don't get lulled into thinking that the CSO is useless. They are actually excellent. If they're "unhelpful" now, it's because you're being neurotic and it's too soon for them do anything for you. But if it gets to be late September or October and you're offerless, USE THEM. Irene really fights for students, and actually does seem to have some influence with getting firms to hire students they might be borderline on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear from milbank post-CB?

Offer Friday afternoon.

When did you interview?

Return to “Legal Employment”