NYU EIW Madness 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:14 pm

For reference, LS (Cleary) did make calls yesterday morning.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Gibson NY (JR + AC) or Sidley NY (JL + GS)?


Gibson JR calls have gone out.


WR/RB?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I haven't heard from Cleary LS yet. Also have not heard from Gibson (AF&SM). Both ny


CB from Gibson (AF&SM) on Friday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:45 pm

Are we to be reporting to OCS where we received callbacks from? Where do we do this?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Probably the most useful thing you will see at any point during this process:
http://www.law.columbia.edu/null/downlo ... _id=611272

You're welcome in advance.

Edit: Note very high offer rates for S&C (NY), Gibson Dunn (NY), Sidley Austin (NY), Shearman & Sterling (NY), Irell (LA, obvs). Evidently for these firms, the cut happens at the screener->callback stage, and the callback is less about selection and more about introducing the firm to the soon-to-be offeree.
Also note a further ~50% cut straight ahead for those holding DPW, Skadden, Kirkland, Cleary and Debevoise callbacks. Cravath and Latham (NY) offer rates are around 2/3.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Probably the most useful thing you will see at any point during this process:
http://www.law.columbia.edu/null/downlo ... _id=611272

You're welcome in advance.

Edit: Note very high offer rates for S&C (NY), Gibson Dunn (NY), Sidley Austin (NY), Shearman & Sterling (NY), Irell (LA, obvs). Evidently for these firms, the cut happens at the screener->callback stage, and the callback is less about selection and more about introducing the firm to the soon-to-be offeree.
Also note a further ~50% cut straight ahead for those holding DPW, Skadden, Kirkland, Cleary and Debevoise callbacks. Cravath and Latham (NY) offer rates are around 2/3.


Weird results for Mayer Brown. No callbacks to CLS students in 2011? Also, seems like Orrick has a larger NYU contingent getting a callback, just anecdotally. But this is really helpful, thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:36 am

I would suggest looking at those numbers with a grain of salt. It is interesting to compare those numbers to their 2012 numbers, but overall, looking at the charts really only make me wonder why NYU does not publish something similar.

https://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defa ... s-2012.pdf

Certain firms seem to have significant variations year-by-year. Allen & Overy, for example, went from 55% CB-Offer ratio to 38%. Let's all hope for a reversal of trends like that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I would suggest looking at those numbers with a grain of salt. It is interesting to compare those numbers to their 2012 numbers, but overall, looking at the charts really only make me wonder why NYU does not publish something similar.

https://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defa ... s-2012.pdf

Certain firms seem to have significant variations year-by-year. Allen & Overy, for example, went from 55% CB-Offer ratio to 38%. Let's all hope for a reversal of trends like that.


I think the patterns are largely the same and only differ based on market conditions. Firms have very similar CB to offer ratios: Irell was 100% in both years; Shearman & Sterling was 100% in 2011, and 15/17 in 2012; S&C and Gibson were ~90% both years (though Sidley NY was noticeably lower in 2012). Cleary also cut 50%, as did DPW...

The variance you are highlighting is generally limited to firms that hire in the single digits or low double digits, where just 1-2 fewer offers in a given year can can really skew percentages. On the contrary, the large firms have remarkably streamlined the process and have strikingly similar callback-offer ratios.

By the way, I would wager that the firms that tend to have near-100% offer rates have (high level) partners come and do the screeners rather than the associates. Different philosophy w/r/t recruiting...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:29 am

so how we all feeling. 50% of CB's already went out? more? less? what y'all think?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:so how we all feeling. 50% of CB's already went out? more? less? what y'all think?


Bit early, no? There are tons of firms that have had zero movement.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:so how we all feeling. 50% of CB's already went out? more? less? what y'all think?


I feel like less--more like the 33%-40% range but maybe that's wishful thinking. I haven't heard of much, if any movement from most of my top choices, so maybe that's coloring things a bit. But I'd guess that even a lot of the firms who've started issuing callbacks haven't finished. But what do I know?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:34 am

I know so many people that have 0-1 callback that I don't want to believe 50% are out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:so how we all feeling. 50% of CB's already went out? more? less? what y'all think?



dont get alarmed everyone. i just threw out the number 50% bc u know... its in the middle, no clue actual %. though i heard back from 1/3. almost all good but a few dings

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:17 am

I've heard from 5 of my 28 interviewers. 4 Wednesday, 1 Thursday, but I also know that I did a lot better in terms of interview performance on Thursday and Friday than Wednesday, so I'm pretty sure there are more to come...

I also know that two of my interviewers from Wednesday have called back other people, but oh well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:18 am

I think it really depends on where you were interviewing. I've heard back from 18 of 22, but then I'm applying to mostly big NYC firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think it really depends on where you were interviewing. I've heard back from 18 of 22, but then I'm applying to mostly big NYC firms.


Me too, lol (above poster). Are you just a rockstar in terms of grades and/or interviewing? I have good but not stellar grades, and am a decent but not excellent interviewer, so my theory is that firms will wait for the rockstars first and then call back people like me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:00 am

Heard from 6 of 22, all Wednesday interviews. Applied exclusively to NY biglaw, but no V10s. From this thread and from talking with friends, it doesn't seem like more than 5 or 6 of the firms I haven't heard from have even started callbacks, unless they're being real stingy with them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:51 am

I think it's also important to keep in mind the method of getting dinged. I recall reading in the Columbia thread that Orrick, for instance, sends out ding via snail mail. I know my interviewer has invited other people already, so I'm just awaiting the rejection letter in the mail.


Cleary seems to use email. Maybe we should keep a running thread w.r.t. each firm's rejection method.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:53 am

I'm also assuming there's some "waitlist" pile when the people who got callbacks from V10s inevitably turn down some callbacks from lower ranked firms. A friend was talking about callbacks going into September from large but lower ranked firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:15 am

Has anyone heard from linklaters?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from linklaters?

yes (two people I know have CBs)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm also assuming there's some "waitlist" pile when the people who got callbacks from V10s inevitably turn down some callbacks from lower ranked firms. A friend was talking about callbacks going into September from large but lower ranked firms.


I have a callback scheduled for mid-September-ish because that was the earliest availability. I assume it had more to do with other schools (Harvard, Columbia) already having had their OCI's. But if some of those people get offers they would rather take, an earlier date may be available. I'm assuming it's ok to call recruiting before then to see if there are free dates and re-schedule?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:22 am

Has Linklaters JS given out callbacks?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has Linklaters JS given out callbacks?



Yes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm also assuming there's some "waitlist" pile when the people who got callbacks from V10s inevitably turn down some callbacks from lower ranked firms. A friend was talking about callbacks going into September from large but lower ranked firms.


I have a callback scheduled for mid-September-ish because that was the earliest availability. I assume it had more to do with other schools (Harvard, Columbia) already having had their OCI's. But if some of those people get offers they would rather take, an earlier date may be available. I'm assuming it's ok to call recruiting before then to see if there are free dates and re-schedule?


No, I meant actually getting the call for a callback in mid-September




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.