NYU EIW Madness 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey, for everyone with offers- I was told by OCS that they called my top choice firm and they're waiting on people to decline some offers there before they proceed with me. If you're holding on to more than 1 or 2 offers...now's the time to start letting them go!

How did you get OCS to do this for you? Did you meet with OCS to get them to call on your behalf?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey, for everyone with offers- I was told by OCS that they called my top choice firm and they're waiting on people to decline some offers there before they proceed with me. If you're holding on to more than 1 or 2 offers...now's the time to start letting them go!

How did you get OCS to do this for you? Did you meet with OCS to get them to call on your behalf?

Yeah- if you're willing to commit to a firm and say you'd accept if offered, you can tell OCS and someone will make that call for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah- if you're willing to commit to a firm and say you'd accept if offered, you can tell OCS and someone will make that call for you.

Wow, that's awesome! I take it these are firms you're still on hold for post CB? Sorry to be neurotic here, but did you set up an appointment and tell them there about your top choice, go to drop-in hours, or email/call them about your situation?

I filled out the survey on simplicity and indicated my top choice in the "on hold, first choice" box, but now I'm thinking I should be more proactive because I don't know how frequently they check the OCI Offer Tracker.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wow, that's awesome! I take it these are firms you're still on hold for post CB? Sorry to be neurotic here, but did you set up an appointment and tell them there about your top choice, go to drop-in hours, or email/call them about your situation?

I filled out the survey on simplicity and indicated my top choice in the "on hold, first choice" box, but now I'm thinking I should be more proactive because I don't know how frequently they check the OCI Offer Tracker.

Yeah, this is a firm I'm waiting on post-CB. I'd highly recommend you email or meet with someone. I emailed them telling them my situation and they very promptly replied. Your instincts are spot on about the Offer Tracker- I had indicated that the firm was my top choice on the survey, but nothing happened until I sent that email.

Basically though you have to be 100% certain you'd accept if offered, because that's what OCS will tell the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, this is a firm I'm waiting on post-CB. I'd highly recommend you email or meet with someone. I emailed them telling them my situation and they very promptly replied. Your instincts are spot on about the Offer Tracker- I had indicated that the firm was my top choice on the survey, but nothing happened until I sent that email.

Basically though you have to be 100% certain you'd accept if offered, because that's what OCS will tell the firm.

Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna go send an email now.

ETA: Noob question- did you just use the law careers email, and to whom did you address it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, this is a firm I'm waiting on post-CB. I'd highly recommend you email or meet with someone. I emailed them telling them my situation and they very promptly replied. Your instincts are spot on about the Offer Tracker- I had indicated that the firm was my top choice on the survey, but nothing happened until I sent that email.

ETA: Noob question- did you just use the law careers email, and to whom did you address it?

Hmm... I sent them an email on Wednesday indicating a firm was my first choice etc. etc. and have yet to get a response...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hmm... I sent them an email on Wednesday indicating a firm was my first choice etc. etc. and have yet to get a response...

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering who the other poster sent the email too in case one person is more responsive than others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering who the other poster sent the email too in case one person is more responsive than others.

I emailed Irene directly. If you haven't heard I'd follow up- she replied immediately at first, and then there was radio silence for a bit. I followed up, and she updated me on the situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Regarding the people talking about dropping out, I feel your pain. It's hard to consider continuing on when the change of getting a biglaw job in December seems so slim. Some of us (myself included) really want a biglaw job and I know I wouldn't be happy with something else because this was my goal coming to law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I emailed Irene directly. If you haven't heard I'd follow up- she replied immediately at first, and then there was radio silence for a bit. I followed up, and she updated me on the situation.

Good point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:55 pm

is there anyone else in this thread from NYU who has accepted a Kasowitz offer before Monday and is still planning on going? I am in the boat and I want to feel that I am not alone...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is there anyone else in this thread from NYU who has accepted a Kasowitz offer before Monday and is still planning on going? I am in the boat and I want to feel that I am not alone...

I have a friend at NYU who is still planning about going. If anything, I think you should feel more secure because the class size has been addressed now rather than at the end of the summer and because I doubt Kasowitz wants to make any additional negative headlines.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:is there anyone else in this thread from NYU who has accepted a Kasowitz offer before Monday and is still planning on going? I am in the boat and I want to feel that I am not alone...

I have a friend at NYU who is still planning about going. If anything, I think you should feel more secure because the class size has been addressed now rather than at the end of the summer and because I doubt Kasowitz wants to make any additional negative headlines.

thanks for the answer, issue is bec were both anonymous I dont know if your friend is me hahaha

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

thanks for the answer, issue is bec were both anonymous I dont know if your friend is me hahaha

Doubt it. I have, like, 2 friends at this school.

But seriously, I know one friend going and that friend knows someone else still going. So that makes two. Unless you're both people, you have (at least) someone else in the same boat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

But seriously, I know one friend going and that friend knows someone else still going. So that makes two. Unless you're both people, you have (at least) someone else in the same boat.

and seeing how I dont know anyone else going that makes three, makes me feel better thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:31 am

+1 I am in the same boat. Although I don't think it's specific to waiting on NYU students.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:

+1 I am in the same boat. Although I don't think it's specific to waiting on NYU students. And I'm freaking out because my other (actual, and only) offer may expire before they get back to me. What do people do in that situation, if you get an offer that you would rather take over one that you had to take because it was your only option and it's about to expire?

I'm thinking accept towards the end of the 28-day timeframe? I'm in a similar situation here, and, you know, a bird in the hand...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:

+1 I am in the same boat. Although I don't think it's specific to waiting on NYU students.

It is very likely specific to waiting on NYU people though.

I got the same reply from Irene about my top choice firm and she told me that the firm had given out offers to NYU people and was waiting on them. Also from what I have been told from firms/3Ls/OCS, most of NYC firms have a set number of spots for each school. So if one NYU student declines, the offer would probably go to another NYU student instead of CLS.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is, for people who have several offers, please release some and you are doing the rest of us a big favor. This waiting game is no fun at all. Sigh...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:33 am

Have any 3Ls heard back from HP regarding in-house positions? Radio silence over here.

:?:

Also, for 2Ls still out there grinding, good luck. I ended up snagging an offer pretty late in the game last year and I remember OCI being one of the most stressful experiences of my life. OCS at NYU is actually really helpful, if you haven't yet reached out to them, please do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:04 pm

I agree with my fellow violets. please start declining offers. Also, if you have accepted at a firm and do not intend on splitting, please withdraw your name from consideration for firms that have you on hold. Can't hurt, right? :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Has anyone heard from / accepted offers at WilmerHale NY or A&P NY?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

and seeing how I dont know anyone else going that makes three, makes me feel better thanks!

Update: I think one of those two people I mentioned might have found something else. Still, it'll be at least you and my friend repping NYU this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from / accepted offers at WilmerHale NY or A&P NY?

Both WilmerHale NY and A&P NY had offers out to NYU students by the week of Sept. 9th.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:53 am

Is it still radio silence from Baker & McKenzie?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it still radio silence from Baker & McKenzie?

They've given out two offers. I think they're doing things on a more rolling basis right now--less in batches.

Return to “Legal Employment”