NYU EIW Madness 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:50 am

anyone else thinking of dropping out of nyu?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an email from Kaye Scholer today saying I'm still under consideration and they'll let me know soon. Anyone know what this means? (Probably just that I'm on hold, right?) Anyone else get this from Kaye Scholer or elsewhere?

Hey, not NYU but t14 got the same thing via phone call today. Pretty great to see the phone number, hear who's calling, and then find out it's not an offer. That was the wildest fucking two minute emotional roller coaster I've been on in a minute

Had that happen to me from another firm, fucking sucked so bad (I was still offerless at that time). When they said who was calling I got all happy, then by the end of the call I was just like...fuck...my...life.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:anyone else thinking of dropping out of nyu?

I'm considering it. (was actually just talking about this with a friend from UG yesterday)

ETA: I'm still waiting on 2 places, but not feeling hopeful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:58 am

Any word from A&O recently?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from A&O recently?

They made at least one offer this week

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are people handling the Kasowitz situation?

Sorry - I'm out of the loop. What's up here?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=215593 - really interesting. If anyone is in this boat, are you interested in the firm? Have you talked to OCS about it? I'd be curious to hear what their response to the situation is.

I suppose part of me wants to say good for them for being up front with people rather than no-offering later, but still, bit strange.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Apparently 7 people accepted offers there on Monday. After that, they called the remaining offerrees and encouraged them to accept elsewhere. They told some students they could still accept by the end of the day. They told other students that they were basically SOL and could not accept. I'm not sure how OCS is handling the situation, but it seems really unprofessional on their part. Yeah, it's better than having to no-offer at the end of the summer, but what about students who were trying to be considerate of their classmates and turned down other firms they didn't like as much as Kasowitz?

Also, what if this was your only offer but you were holding out to hear back from other places?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Am I going to be seeing anyone else at the Willkie dinner tonight?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:52 pm

I spoke with someone in OCS about that today. She thought it sounded like a bad idea, believing that there's still a lot to be done before that point. I think it's something that you should think about to get yourself mentally prepared, but at this point, there's a lot more to be done

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I spoke with someone in OCS about that today. She thought it sounded like a bad idea, believing that there's still a lot to be done before that point. I think it's something that you should think about to get yourself mentally prepared, but at this point, there's a lot more to be done

At this point we've already paid for the semester, may as well wait until December.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What more did she suggest? I've been mass-mailing, but at this point biglaw is basically a no-go. It seems that the only other options are smaller firms or public interest careers, but my resume makes it quite clear that I'm not the public interest "type" and those jobs are no longer reasonable back-up options due to the number of individuals who have devoted themselves to pursuing PI from the beginning.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What more did she suggest? I've been mass-mailing, but at this point biglaw is basically a no-go. It seems that the only other options are smaller firms or public interest careers, but my resume makes it quite clear that I'm not the public interest "type" and those jobs are no longer reasonable back-up options due to the number of individuals who have devoted themselves to pursuing PI from the beginning.

I wouldn't give up just yet. A friend just got a screener from a Vault-ranked firm through mass mailing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't give up just yet. A friend just got a screener from a Vault-ranked firm through mass mailing.

Dropping out now not a good idea. Something might come through in the next month or two. If you are looking outside of NYC, things go a lot more slowly so too early to give up. Dropping out cuts off your chances of making things happen. Too final.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Not OP here (2nd poster on dropping out)--was thinking of dropping out moreso in December but applying to jobs if nothing panned out by mid-October

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Apparently 7 people accepted offers there on Monday. After that, they called the remaining offerrees and encouraged them to accept elsewhere. They told some students they could still accept by the end of the day. They told other students that they were basically SOL and could not accept. I'm not sure how OCS is handling the situation, but it seems really unprofessional on their part. Yeah, it's better than having to no-offer at the end of the summer, but what about students who were trying to be considerate of their classmates and turned down other firms they didn't like as much as Kasowitz?

Also, what if this was your only offer but you were holding out to hear back from other places?

So, does this situation just pertain to NYU students? There class size is bigger than that but I'm assuming they don't want everyone from the same school and it hasn't been clear whether they've reached there maximum summer class size or they are afraid they will if all the people who were offered then decide to accept.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So, does this situation just pertain to NYU students? There class size is bigger than that but I'm assuming they don't want everyone from the same school and it hasn't been clear whether they've reached there maximum summer class size or they are afraid they will if all the people who were offered then decide to accept.

I got the impression that it applies to non-NYU students too, but I'm not really sure. The problem, I think, is that 7 students accepted JUST on Monday, and presumably several more had accepted before that. I also am unsure if they've reached their maximum summer class size or if this move is more preemptive; I got the impression that it was more the former, though. Regardless, it's a pretty shitty situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:18 pm

How long has Sidley turnaround time generally been for those with offers/who have gotten dinged?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I got the impression that it applies to non-NYU students too, but I'm not really sure. The problem, I think, is that 7 students accepted JUST on Monday, and presumably several more had accepted before that. I also am unsure if they've reached their maximum summer class size or if this move is more preemptive; I got the impression that it was more the former, though. Regardless, it's a pretty shitty situation.

I talked to someone in OCS about this. No NYU student got hosed by the Kasowitz situation. The ones that were asked apparently had other offers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:13 pm

for people without offers, hang in there. you are not alone and non-ny markets still hiring a lot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:How long has Sidley turnaround time generally been for those with offers/who have gotten dinged?

Offer took about two weeks for me after CB

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:02 am

Is it possible that a firm will just not get back to you either way after a CB? I've had radio silence from firms that I interviewed with 2-4 weeks ago. I feel like they should at least give you a definitive "no" right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible that a firm will just not get back to you either way after a CB? I've had radio silence from firms that I interviewed with 2-4 weeks ago. I feel like they should at least give you a definitive "no" right?

I've had a similar experience with a couple firms. I think they will give you a definitive "no" at some point, just never know when. I got rejections from screeners these past few days (6 weeks after EIW), so it's possible CB's might be the same.

Have you tried following up? Any offer deadlines?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:36 am

Ya 1 deadline, but I would prefer a couple of these and would happily release that one. I tried following up with the most egregious offender at the end of the week but didn't hear back. Ah well...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:46 am

Hey, for everyone with offers- I was told by OCS that they called my top choice firm and they're waiting on people to decline some offers there before they proceed with me. If you're holding on to more than 1 or 2 offers...now's the time to start letting them go!

Return to “Legal Employment”