NYU EIW Madness 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any K&L NYC movement?


A friend of mine has an offer, not sure when he got it but he told me yesterday.


When was the cb?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:34 pm

Linklaters ding. CB last week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Does anyone else not have an offer yet? It feels like everyone around me has at least 1 and while I'm mass mailing, I'm starting to get really discouraged that I might end up without a firm job next summer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else not have an offer yet? It feels like everyone around me has at least 1 and while I'm mass mailing, I'm starting to get really discouraged that I might end up without a firm job next summer.


From reading the various threads here, it seems that there are many of us in that position (myself included).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else not have an offer yet? It feels like everyone around me has at least 1 and while I'm mass mailing, I'm starting to get really discouraged that I might end up without a firm job next summer.


From reading the various threads here, it seems that there are many of us in that position (myself included).


I just got my first a few days ago, but I'm still mass mailing (without any bites so far) in hopes of something in my target market. I completely understand how you feel. It's been impossible for me to talk to classmates about summer employment with everyone else being tso excited to summer at a V5.

Good luck to you. I hope you get something.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:36 pm

Why does CSO wait till Oct 15 to start distributing our resumes to employers still hiring? Doesn't that seem kinda late?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why does CSO wait till Oct 15 to start distributing our resumes to employers still hiring? Doesn't that seem kinda late?


Wait seriously? I thought they would do it on a rolling basis in response to firms asking for resumes of students still looking. Oct. 15th seems far too late at least for NYC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why does CSO wait till Oct 15 to start distributing our resumes to employers still hiring? Doesn't that seem kinda late?


Wait seriously? I thought they would do it on a rolling basis in response to firms asking for resumes of students still looking. Oct. 15th seems far too late at least for NYC.


I was just filling out the EIW Callback/Offer Tracker survey on simplicity, and this is the last question: "If you are seeking employment for Summer 2014 as of October 15, would you like your resume forwarded to employers who are still hiring?"

I'm pretty sure Oct 15 is far too late, especially for NY.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why does CSO wait till Oct 15 to start distributing our resumes to employers still hiring? Doesn't that seem kinda late?


Wait seriously? I thought they would do it on a rolling basis in response to firms asking for resumes of students still looking. Oct. 15th seems far too late at least for NYC.


I was just filling out the EIW Callback/Offer Tracker survey on simplicity, and this is the last question: "If you are seeking employment for Summer 2014 as of October 15, would you like your resume forwarded to employers who are still hiring?"

I'm pretty sure Oct 15 is far too late, especially for NY.

I know of people getting NYC V50 in December. Note that there will be very few people searching at this point, as well as very few employers. So while it's dire, the pool of comparable applicants will have also dramatically shrunk.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:19 pm

I don't have an offer and I know a lot of people who don't. We tend to be a lot more quiet than the ones with offers. It is really anxiety-producing but I'm t ry ing to relax and realize that it is still early.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else not have an offer yet? It feels like everyone around me has at least 1 and while I'm mass mailing, I'm starting to get really discouraged that I might end up without a firm job next summer.


From reading the various threads here, it seems that there are many of us in that position (myself included).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know of people getting NYC V50 in December. Note that there will be very few people searching at this point, as well as very few employers. So while it's dire, the pool of comparable applicants will have also dramatically shrunk.


Ditto on this--one of my good friends pulled V20 last year while I was going through finals. It's rough having to wait out that long, but it's doable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why does CSO wait till Oct 15 to start distributing our resumes to employers still hiring? Doesn't that seem kinda late?


Wait seriously? I thought they would do it on a rolling basis in response to firms asking for resumes of students still looking. Oct. 15th seems far too late at least for NYC.


I was just filling out the EIW Callback/Offer Tracker survey on simplicity, and this is the last question: "If you are seeking employment for Summer 2014 as of October 15, would you like your resume forwarded to employers who are still hiring?"

I'm pretty sure Oct 15 is far too late, especially for NY.

Here's the thing: before October 15ish, every firm is "still hiring." It's only around that date that employers start to get a feel for their yield and will start taking a serious look at CSO-forwarded resumes. If CSO started bombarding firms with resumes in mid/late September, few firms would review them and many of those people will have found offers by October anyways.

Anyway: don't rely on the CSO crutch. They can help, but you've got to take the lead. It's still early, and you should be mass-mailing every market you're potentially interested in, focusing on those firms that match your background and interests. I know folks who have gotten offers from V100 firms as late as February, but you gotta get your head up and keep plugging away.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't have an offer and I know a lot of people who don't. We tend to be a lot more quiet than the ones with offers. It is really anxiety-producing but I'm t ry ing to relax and realize that it is still early.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else not have an offer yet? It feels like everyone around me has at least 1 and while I'm mass mailing, I'm starting to get really discouraged that I might end up without a firm job next summer.


From reading the various threads here, it seems that there are many of us in that position (myself included).

still offerless as well (median). I've got a friend in the top 1/4 of the class without an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why does CSO wait till Oct 15 to start distributing our resumes to employers still hiring? Doesn't that seem kinda late?


Wait seriously? I thought they would do it on a rolling basis in response to firms asking for resumes of students still looking. Oct. 15th seems far too late at least for NYC.


I was just filling out the EIW Callback/Offer Tracker survey on simplicity, and this is the last question: "If you are seeking employment for Summer 2014 as of October 15, would you like your resume forwarded to employers who are still hiring?"

I'm pretty sure Oct 15 is far too late, especially for NY.

Here's the thing: before October 15ish, every firm is "still hiring." It's only around that date that employers start to get a feel for their yield and will start taking a serious look at CSO-forwarded resumes. If CSO started bombarding firms with resumes in mid/late September, few firms would review them and many of those people will have found offers by October anyways.

Anyway: don't rely on the CSO crutch. They can help, but you've got to take the lead. It's still early, and you should be mass-mailing every market you're potentially interested in, focusing on those firms that match your background and interests. I know folks who have gotten offers from V100 firms as late as February, but you gotta get your head up and keep plugging away.


Thank you for explaining this to me. The mid October date seemed a little arbitrary, but now the process makes more sense.

I've been mass mailing and will keep at it till I find something I'm happy with.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else not have an offer yet? It feels like everyone around me has at least 1 and while I'm mass mailing, I'm starting to get really discouraged that I might end up without a firm job next summer.


From reading the various threads here, it seems that there are many of us in that position (myself included).


I only just got one this Friday. Don't lose hope. Anecdotally I know several people around/above median still looking.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:00 pm

why does it feel like this year the hiring has been terrible? I have one offer as well which I got from mass mailing and know some people that have zero with good grades.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:14 pm

I know a lot of people still looking or who have just received their offers in the past few days. Keep hustling.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know a lot of people still looking or who have just received their offers in the past few days. Keep hustling.


+1 finally got an offer today, turned out all my anxiety was all for naught, keep those heads up ppl

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:why does it feel like this year the hiring has been terrible? I have one offer as well which I got from mass mailing and know some people that have zero with good grades.


really hard to tell when my bets source of info is TLS and a few friends, but i wouldn't be surprised at all if this year SUCKED for biglaw % comparatively to the last few years. anyone else also think so?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:00 pm

I still know a lot of people who don't have offers. Really tough out there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't have an offer and I know a lot of people who don't. We tend to be a lot more quiet than the ones with offers. It is really anxiety-producing but I'm t ry ing to relax and realize that it is still early.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else not have an offer yet? It feels like everyone around me has at least 1 and while I'm mass mailing, I'm starting to get really discouraged that I might end up without a firm job next summer.


From reading the various threads here, it seems that there are many of us in that position (myself included).

still offerless as well (median). I've got a friend in the top 1/4 of the class without an offer.


Just got a snail-mail ding after my one CB from EIW rocking a 3.22. I have at least one other friend in the same boat, but it is certainly hard maintaining a casual expression when out at Triona's and I'm the only person at the table not trying to decide which offer to take. Boy oh boy do I love telephone screener interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from Shearman & Sterling post-CB? I thought their callback --> offer ratio was nearly 100%, but I had mine over 2 weeks ago and have had radio silence since. Should I consider this a strikeout?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from Shearman & Sterling post-CB? I thought their callback --> offer ratio was nearly 100%, but I had mine over 2 weeks ago and have had radio silence since. Should I consider this a strikeout?



you may be out of luck. i interviewed like 2-3 weeks ago and heard back (offer) within 3 days. They have even had an an nyu offer dinner last week. Sorry!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:44 pm

well that's bad news, but I appreciate the info!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273391
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Anyone hear from Hogan Lovells recently?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.