NYU EIW Madness 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYU EIW Madness 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Links to previous threads (that started around callback time, but I thought we could get started talking about bidding questions and concerns, etc.):

2011- http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=163488
2012- http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=189752

FYI Fulbright & Jabrowski, while it's under its new name Norton Rose Fulbright in symplicity, has not made a legal name change yet, in case anyone was confused when trying to find information about NRF (I was at first).

--Stringer Bell

Anonymous User

Re: NYU EIW Madness 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 pm

Do you guys think we can get away with bidding these three firms in the late 20's?

Debevoise NY 150
Simpson Thatcher NY 187
Davis Polk 206

Also, did anyone else notice Kirkland reduced it's slots from 75 to 57?

-Don Draper

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Just an FYI to you guys from my experience 2 years ago at EIW: It is the mid-upper tier firms that will require the highest bids. These mid-upper tier firms (think Paul Hastings, Cadwalader, etc.) will be the reaches for those low in the class, and will be matches for a large proportion of the class. So you will have tons of people selecting them. Those in the bottom of the class likely won't waste bids on top tier firms, so you can usually bid them lower. I bid things like Davis Polk, Skadden, etc. pretty high, but I'm not so sure I needed to do so. I'd say a mid-high rank in the order would get the job done. For your non-NY choices, if you don't pick highly competitive markets like LA or Chicago, you can bid them very low and still get them. I picked a few NJ firms (since I have ties there), and bid them in the 40's, and got them all.

Also, for the firms you don't get through the lottery, really press hard to get some facetime. Do the resume drops at the hospitality suite, email NYU alums at the firms to learn more about the places, etc. With that combo, you will have a contact in the firm, whom you can tell to perhaps give recruiting a nudge. I got something like 4 callbacks this way outside of EIW channels, all with some very solid firms.

And finally, don't stress too much. NYU has excellent placement, and I know tons of kids below median who got Vault firm jobs. VERY few people fell through the cracks, and even if they did, with the right amount of non-EIW legwork, they usually end up fine. So good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys think we can get away with bidding these three firms in the late 20's?

Debevoise NY 150
Simpson Thatcher NY 187
Davis Polk 206

Also, did anyone else notice Kirkland reduced it's slots from 75 to 57?

-Don Draper
thanks for the heads up on Kirkland. I know Simpson and Davis are good lower down. I'm pretty sure Deb is the same. Cleary is the same

-Captain America-

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:29 pm

unnamed anon - mind checking out my bidlist? OCS isn't saying much about ordering, they basically stick to whether you're over/under-reaching
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=211057

Captain America

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:39 am

^ Have you actually heard back from OCS about your bidlist? I never got a response

Is anyone considering dropping Weil off the bidlist at this point? I'm not sure what to make of the recent layoffs

-Don Draper

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:^ Have you actually heard back from OCS about your bidlist? I never got a response

Is anyone considering dropping Weil off the bidlist at this point? I'm not sure what to make of the recent layoffs

-Don Draper
I say people should interview there, and then go somewhere else if you get an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:45 am

In addition to the mid-tier firms discussed above, certain other firms are popular relative to the number of interview slots they have and need to be bid in your top 5-10 to get an interview. I'm thinking Ropes and Gray, Kirkland & Ellis, Sidley Austin (didn't get at 10 last year), Skadden (didn't get at 11 last year), Weil (didn't get at 12 last year), Linklaters (didn't get at 13 last year), and White & Case (didn't get at 14 last year).

The truly huge but elite NY firms can usually be bid in the 30s or later and still get an interview, considering that a good number of the bottom of the class doesn't bid on them at all (for good reason; few of them reach down as far as median). Last year I got Paul Weiss, Debevoise, Sullivan & Cromwell, and Cleary in the early 30s and Davis Polk, Simpson Thacher, Watchtell, and Cravath in the late 30s/early 40s. If you have truly elite grades (think LR grade-on, etc.), you'll probably want to bid them earlier just to make sure you get an interview since you'll be rolling in offers anyways, but if you're in that top 20-30% range as I was, it's handy to know you can bid them later and still get screeners.

NB: some or all of the above firms may have changed their number of screeners, making some the above advice moot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 am

I have no idea where I stand in terms of class ranking, so I'm not sure which firms to focus on in my bidding. GPA is 3.47. I'm guessing top third? I've also heard maybe 40th percentile, maybe 25th percentile. Any advice from upperclassmen?

--Stringer Bell

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have no idea where I stand in terms of class ranking, so I'm not sure which firms to focus on in my bidding. GPA is 3.47. I'm guessing top third? I've also heard maybe 40th percentile, maybe 25th percentile. Any advice from upperclassmen?

--Stringer Bell
nyu 2014 here: you're probably top 25% at least (could be higher); I was 3.4 and people told me top 35%. I also got a V10 SA with those numbers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:^ Have you actually heard back from OCS about your bidlist? I never got a response

-Don Draper
yup. A couple days ago. It varies based on who your advisor is.

Captain America-

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:In addition to the mid-tier firms discussed above, certain other firms are popular relative to the number of interview slots they have and need to be bid in your top 5-10 to get an interview. I'm thinking Ropes and Gray, Kirkland & Ellis, Sidley Austin (didn't get at 10 last year), Skadden (didn't get at 11 last year), Weil (didn't get at 12 last year), Linklaters (didn't get at 13 last year), and White & Case (didn't get at 14 last year).

The truly huge but elite NY firms can usually be bid in the 30s or later and still get an interview, considering that a good number of the bottom of the class doesn't bid on them at all (for good reason; few of them reach down as far as median). Last year I got Paul Weiss, Debevoise, Sullivan & Cromwell, and Cleary in the early 30s and Davis Polk, Simpson Thacher, Watchtell, and Cravath in the late 30s/early 40s. If you have truly elite grades (think LR grade-on, etc.), you'll probably want to bid them earlier just to make sure you get an interview since you'll be rolling in offers anyways, but if you're in that top 20-30% range as I was, it's handy to know you can bid them later and still get screeners.

NB: some or all of the above firms may have changed their number of screeners, making some the above advice moot.
Class of 2013 here. I agree with this advice, and with the note to take past years' advice with a grain of salt since things change.

In my year, as best I recall, Sidley was gone within five bids, Kirkland about the same. Skadden will clear very early as well because they have a reputation for being accessible to people with slightly lower GPAs. Debevoise is weirdly popular at NYU; I bid it something like ten slots earlier than DPW/STB/Cleary, and got all those three but did not get Debevoise. Just some anecdata.

Also, re the Weil question above: I would still bid them. This might make them an easier interview/callback/offer than in years past. And you can always look at your options and decide later whether to accept an offer from Weil. Just remember that you never know what is going to happen to your firm in the two years between EIW and when you'll start as a first year, so if this is the worst of what Weil goes through, then there's some value in having it happen now and not later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:33 am

Fantastic advice in this thread. Does anyone have an idea as to where White & Case and Ropes & Gray clear?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have no idea where I stand in terms of class ranking, so I'm not sure which firms to focus on in my bidding. GPA is 3.47. I'm guessing top third? I've also heard maybe 40th percentile, maybe 25th percentile. Any advice from upperclassmen?

--Stringer Bell
I'm 3.46 and the class rank estimator is telling me top 30% based on some benchmarks I found in a different thread

-Frankfort Goldenrod

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:50 am

I've seen the rankings to GPA range pretty wildly. I have a 3.67 - anybody have a realistic sense of where that puts me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:32 pm

I've seen the rankings to GPA range pretty wildly. I have a 3.67 - anybody have a realistic sense of where that puts me?
I heard ~3.6 was top 10% after first semester. If 3.5 is really around 30th percentile, then 3.67 is top 15% at the least, but probably less than top 5%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Anyone have any idea of how popular Boies Schiller will be? (litigation, not corporate). They have a tiny number of interviews for multiple offices, and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it for someone with good but not excellent grades.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:21 am

is anyone paying attention to the stuff firms say about themselves in terms of selectivity (i.e. top 20%, LR etc)? Especially when it conflicts with TLS data?

- Anyonymous User

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:is anyone paying attention to the stuff firms say about themselves in terms of selectivity (i.e. top 20%, LR etc)? Especially when it conflicts with TLS data?

- Anyonymous User
I think the general consensus is that you should totally ignore them. This is backed up by the fact that it's pretty clear that a lot of firms have clearly just copy/pasted the same requirement (top 10% + LR required!) for every school they're attending.

Frankfort

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:46 am

Do people think this top 10 is too aggressive for a 3.46? All offices are NYC.

1 Sidley
2 Shearman
3 Latham
4 Schulte Roth
5 clifford chance
6 Cahill Gordon
7 Milbank Tweed
8 Weil
9 Jones Day
10 Hogan

-Frankfort Goldenrod

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do people think this top 10 is too aggressive for a 3.46? All offices are NYC.

1 Sidley
2 Shearman
3 Latham
4 Schulte Roth
5 Clifford Chance
6 Cahill Gordon
7 Milbank Tweed
8 Weil
9 Jones Day
10 Hogan

-Frankfort Goldenrod
too conservative, if anything.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:36 am

we're not supposed to have cover letters attached to our resume uploads for each individual
firm are we?

-Captain America

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Does anyone know what the actual median is? I've heard rumors it's somewhere around a 3.27-8, but then I've also heard it's 3.33...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what the actual median is? I've heard rumors it's somewhere around a 3.27-8, but then I've also heard it's 3.33...
probably 3.25-3.27. I've heard lower though. It's definitely not 3.3+

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote: too conservative, if anything.
Thanks, that's good to hear. I think we can pick up good reaches into the 20s and 30s, so I don't mind being a little conservative within the top 10.
Anonymous User wrote:we're not supposed to have cover letters attached to our resume uploads for each individual
firm are we?

-Captain America
Yikes, I don't think so.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”