Fratty firms and nerdy firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TooOld4This

Re: Fratty firms and nerdy firms

Postby TooOld4This » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:07 am

lhanvt13 wrote:Hey guys, 0L with a dumb question. I hear a lot of people say that, during interviews, they're trying to see who would best fit in with the firm and/or who they would like to work with. Would it be dumb to try and tailor it to their liking if you know the general atmosphere of the firm? Say for Debevoise (since you guys seem to agree that they have a strong tendency towards a "nerdy" firm who prides themselves as one) wouldn't it make sense to try to be what they're looking for?

No. The chances that you will screw it up are greater than you pulling it off (evaluation of fit is not limited to a single question that you get right/wrong). Also, while a firm can have a general culture, you have no idea how the interviewer views that culture.

IAFG wrote:
IAFG wrote:i am not really sure how this is going to play into a bidlist.

Bidding places where you are more likely to enjoy working and naturally click with the interviewers is not a bad idea.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:15 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:46 pm

I couldn't be bothered to read this thread to see if this was already stated, but at my firm it varies a lot between practice groups.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:57 pm

I don't know that "fratty" is really a good characterization, but the firms I interviewed with that seemed more outgoing were as follows:

Vinson & Elkins
Latham
Gibson Dunn
Skadden
Proskauer Rose

The firms that seemed really quiet to me:

Debevoise
Cleary Gottlieb
Wilson Sonsini

I chose one of the "fratty" ones.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:01 am

I think it really depends on the city and what kind of practice groups dominate in the office. For example, I work at a Silicon Valley satellite office dominated by patent litigators, and I would characterize it as friendly nerdy. I have been at my summer associate job for six weeks, and there was only one happy hour to wish a departing senior associate goodbye. Contrast this with our New York office which does a lot of finance work; a summer from there told me there was lots of fratty late night drinking.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:13 am

TooOld4This wrote:
No. The chances that you will screw it up are greater than you pulling it off (evaluation of fit is not limited to a single question that you get right/wrong). Also, while a firm can have a general culture, you have no idea how the interviewer views that culture.

ajax adonis wrote:
No. Just be genuine and be the best version of yourself. If you try to be "fratty" or "nerdy" when you're really not, it'll come off as awkward and fake.

THanks guys :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fratty: Skadden, Weil, Latham, Willkie, Kirkland.

No way are any of these firms "fratty." I'd bet my first year's salary they don't even have a single frat member amongst them.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No way are any of these firms "fratty." I'd bet my first year's salary they don't even have a single frat member amongst them.

Just based on their receptions and interviews, Weil definitely seemed to be trying to portray themselves as fratty. Whether they actually are or not, I have no idea.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:55 am

Some southern firms list people's frags on their bio pages. Now that's a fatty firm.

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:40 am

Nerdy: all patent-prosecution boutiques.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:36 am

Real bros partied too hard to get into a T-14 and instead mailed it in on the LSAT and went to a TTT with a free ride courtesy of the trust fund.

My frat was def T-14 and my dad said I will make partner in his firm once I pass the bar. Also, when I am in charge of OCI all SAs will be from T-14 frats or the hottest chicks from TTTs.

Fuckin pussies.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Real bros partied too hard to get into a T-14 and instead mailed it in on the LSAT and went to a TTT with a free ride courtesy of the trust fund.

My frat was def T-14 and my dad said I will make partner in his firm once I pass the bar. Also, when I am in charge of OCI all SAs will be from T-14 frats or the hottest chicks from TTTs.

Fuckin pussies.

this post is TTT

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Real bros partied too hard to get into a T-14 and instead mailed it in on the LSAT and went to a TTT with a free ride courtesy of the trust fund.

Fuckin pussies.

This post is gold.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
SBL wrote:OP seems like the kind of dude who joined a bottom-tier frat in college and talked about being in a frat all the time like it made him cool.

"bottom-tier frat"

they're all the same stupid shit, the "lower-tiered" ones just probably had less rape than the others

SOLID anon use

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is a stupid assumption.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Texas firms:

Fratty:

1st Tier - Jackson Walker, Fulbright, Thompson Kinght

2nd Tier - Baker Botts, Andrews Kurth, Bracewell, Patton Boggs

3rd Tier - Haynes&Boone, Akin Gump, Jones Day

Not frat: Locke Lord, Gardere, V&E, Weil

Pike: Winstead

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Texas firms:

Fratty:

Baker Botts more Fratty than V&E? Definitely not the vibe from the people I've met / know from those two firms, at least in the Houston offices.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:18 pm

Could people posting here please note what chapter they were in (if any) so we can know if you mean "fratty" as in actually so or if you mean it in the sense that you're a friendless loser who deems any kind of alcohol consumption by more than two people fratty?

Thanks.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:26 pm

basilseal wrote:Could people posting here please note what chapter they were in (if any) so we can know if you mean "fratty" as in actually so or if you mean it in the sense that you're a friendless loser who deems any kind of alcohol consumption by more than two people fratty?

Thanks.

Beta Theta Pi here.

I'd tell you all about the Des Moines firms, but doubt anyone gives a fuck.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:28 pm

chrisbru wrote:
basilseal wrote:Could people posting here please note what chapter they were in (if any) so we can know if you mean "fratty" as in actually so or if you mean it in the sense that you're a friendless loser who deems any kind of alcohol consumption by more than two people fratty?

Thanks.

Beta Theta Pi here.

Haha no worries dude I was kidding. Just noting that there's no way to tell what anyone on this board means by "fratty."

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:46 pm

basilseal wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Thanks.

Beta Theta Pi here.

Haha no worries dude I was kidding. Just noting that there's no way to tell what anyone on this board means by "fratty."

I was just humoring you ha.

I just assume by "fratty" OP meant the more "boys club" type firms where alcohol is always stocked in the firm fridge, there are happy hour opportunities, and lots of stories about the glory days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Texas firms:

Fratty:

Baker Botts more Fratty than V&E? Definitely not the vibe from the people I've met / know from those two firms, at least in the Houston offices.

Houston = NF

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:58 pm

For what it's worth, TLSers have gotten no offered for running a fratstar shtick during an SA. So don't act like a douche because you think it's cool. Act professional at every firm.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For what it's worth, TLSers have gotten no offered for running a fratstar shtick during an SA. So don't act like a douche because you think it's cool. Act professional at every firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:13 pm

bump. now that most of us are in the CB stage.

Return to “Legal Employment”