Stuttering and OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Stuttering and OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Debating whether I should mention that I have a stutter or not during interviews.

Speech pathologists have strongly advocated mentioning it up front. Lawyers have advocated not doing so.

I'm pretty funny, and thought I can convey it with humor so that it won't be awkward. Would saying something like I stutter, and the great thing is instead of me talking for 20 minutes about myself, you only have to deal with me talking about myself for 15 minutes with 5 minutes of uh, nuh, uhs. (or something similar) - then presenting evidence of why it doesn't impede me socially and would not with clients.

My stutter is moderate so is likely to come out, but not so severe that it would dominate the conversation. The positives of advertising it would be to make me more comfortable talking (as opposed to trying to hide it, and possibly substituting words, etc.) which makes me stutter less, and let them know it's not nervousness/social anxiety. The negatives would be drawing additional attention to it.

If it's relevant, my grades are decent and will be above the ranges for many of the firms I apply to. There are only 2-3 reach firms coming. How would bidding ranges influence your answer?

Please don't quote - may delete as I'm sure not too many fit this profile.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Stuttering and OGI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:26 pm

I also have this problem and managed to get through OCI with several offers, although I am pretty sure I underperformed my grades and resume.

My advice is not to mention it. For two reasons: first, everyone is very nervous and awkward, meaning that it's hard to tell a stuttering student from just an awkward/nervous one. Second, it starts the interview off on a negative foot. And you'll only have 18 minutes or so to make up for it. That's not a lot of time.

I guess the depressing result is that you're going to have a lot of OCI interviews, and you're going to be very smooth in some of them and pretty bad in others. That's just normal variation. That might give you not as many good chances as everyone else, but you just have to make them count.

Also over time your answers will become robotic and less likely to stutter-filled.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:56 pm

I also have this problem and I think as long as you are honest about it, you should be fine. Plenty of people have stutters.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:53 pm

Without knowing how bad it is, it's so hard to answer this question. Is there a professor or maybe someone at your 1L job who you feel comfortable enough (and they feel comfortable enough being truthful) that you could ask honestly?

The negatives are if you tell them this at the beginning you're the kid who stutters. Not saying you won't get a job but that will be the first impression and the whole interview is spent playing defense.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:54 pm

I got permission from the mods to post here as an 0L since this is an uncommon, specific problem and I've got personal experience. I'll disappear afterward, though.

OP - I've stuttered for a LONG time, and I can promise you that no one else is attuned to it as well as you are. As mentioned earlier, unless you go full-on "Porky Pig" during the interview, interviewers are going to write it off as "jitters". But if you bring it up right out of the gate, they'll be listening for it, and they'll also pick up on every single "um", "uh", "nuh" or other placeholder you may use throughout the entire conversation. I wouldn't mention it at the beginning of the interview if I were you.

With that in mind, *if* you keep it under control throughout the entire interview, your stuttering can be worth bringing up in response to the "Tell me about an obstacle you've overcome in your life" interview question, if they ask it. But that only works if the interviewer believes that the stuttering is in your past, and not a continuing concern.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:59 pm

OP: Correct "OGI" in the topic to get more responses.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Fixed.

Return to “Legal Employment”