Fall OCI bidding for median student at UT

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fall OCI bidding for median student at UT

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:02 pm

I am a rising 2L at UT, long-time Houston resident. 3.4 GPA, which is just slightly above median. I'd like advice regarding bidding strategies for Houston (although I would also be open to working elsewhere in Texas). I don't care about Big Law or firm rankings; I just want a job. I have legal experience (through summer judicial/government internships) in insurance law, employment litigation, and white collar stuff in general. I am not set on any particular practice area, although I have customized speeches for firms that do insurance (including insurance defense), employment litigation, and corporate.

Any advice appreciated from someone knowledgeable about the Houston firm scene.

Anonymous User

Re: Fall OCI bidding for median student at UT

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a rising 2L at UT, long-time Houston resident. 3.4 GPA, which is just slightly above median. I'd like advice regarding bidding strategies for Houston (although I would also be open to working elsewhere in Texas). I don't care about Big Law or firm rankings; I just want a job. I have legal experience (through summer judicial/government internships) in insurance law, employment litigation, and white collar stuff in general. I am not set on any particular practice area, although I have customized speeches for firms that do insurance (including insurance defense), employment litigation, and corporate.

You'll get some interviews, especially if you don't shoot too high. Your connection to Houston will help marginally.

I would say your reaches are the Big 3. Fulbright is most likely to give you a screener, though BB and V&E might stretch too. I'm not privy to any of these firms' OCI needs this year, though. Pay attention to the grade floors the firms post, but if they say top 35% it might still be worth a shot. If not, you can use more of these bids on smaller firms.

Then shoot for the other Texas bigger-name firms. Locke Lord, Haynes & Boone, Thompson Knight, Gardere, Jackson Walker, etc.

You'll probably still have 10-15 bids. Do some research on the smaller Houston firms. If you have any way to get some insider info (through relatives or past biz associates), that might be a good way to decide which smaller firms are a good fit for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a rising 2L at UT, long-time Houston resident. 3.4 GPA, which is just slightly above median. I'd like advice regarding bidding strategies for Houston (although I would also be open to working elsewhere in Texas). I don't care about Big Law or firm rankings; I just want a job. I have legal experience (through summer judicial/government internships) in insurance law, employment litigation, and white collar stuff in general. I am not set on any particular practice area, although I have customized speeches for firms that do insurance (including insurance defense), employment litigation, and corporate.

You'll get some interviews, especially if you don't shoot too high. Your connection to Houston will help marginally.

I would say your reaches are the Big 3. Fulbright is most likely to give you a screener, though BB and V&E might stretch too. I'm not privy to any of these firms' OCI needs this year, though. Pay attention to the grade floors the firms post, but if they say top 35% it might still be worth a shot. If not, you can use more of these bids on smaller firms.

Then shoot for the other Texas bigger-name firms. Locke Lord, Haynes & Boone, Thompson Knight, Gardere, Jackson Walker, etc.

You'll probably still have 10-15 bids. Do some research on the smaller Houston firms. If you have any way to get some insider info (through relatives or past biz associates), that might be a good way to decide which smaller firms are a good fit for you.

I'm also curious about this as well. Any info would be really helpful as bids are due Friday at noon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Going to throw my hat into the ring for advice on this thread -- specifically transferring in from a T1 where I was top 5%. Want to (more to the point, going to) stay in Austin (deep roots and significant public policy WE in Austin). I'm feeling good about who I'm not bidding, but not real sure on bid rankings of those that I am bidding given that my GPA/rank doesn't bridge over very cleanly, and I won't get any good data from my former school about firm's take on their students until next week after bidding closes at UT.

I'll update the post later with my current list (at home), but in the meantime any general advice would be welcome. Also, one question I had was this: There were a few firms whom I slid a little further down my list than they otherwise would have been just because they have tons of interview slots at UT (Fulbright, V&E) but they are interviewing for 5 offices with those ~100 interview allotments, so am I off-base in doing that?

I just got info from OCS this week, so I'm feeling quite rushed (my old school's bids aren't due for another couple weeks).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Going to throw my hat into the ring for advice on this thread -- specifically transferring in from a T1 where I was top 5%. Want to (more to the point, going to) stay in Austin (deep roots and significant public policy WE in Austin). I'm feeling good about who I'm not bidding, but not real sure on bid rankings of those that I am bidding given that my GPA/rank doesn't bridge over very cleanly, and I won't get any good data from my former school about firm's take on their students until next week after bidding closes at UT.

I'll update the post later with my current list (at home), but in the meantime any general advice would be welcome. Also, one question I had was this: There were a few firms whom I slid a little further down my list than they otherwise would have been just because they have tons of interview slots at UT (Fulbright, V&E) but they are interviewing for 5 offices with those ~100 interview allotments, so am I off-base in doing that?

I just got info from OCS this week, so I'm feeling quite rushed (my old school's bids aren't due for another couple weeks).

Currently a rising 2L at UT. Older students will comment on this as well but I think you will have a tough time getting Austin and I wouldn't drop those firms down your list because the vast majority of those slots are not for Austin positions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:09 pm

OP here. Belated thanks to anonymous first replier for his/her advice.

It looks like I am just going to do this the most common-sense way I can. Maybe no more than five "reach" firms (the big ones like Fulbright) who are known to dip some ways below in the GPA pool. Followed by maybe ten bigger-name Texas firms with GPA cutoffs no higher than top third (i.e. the Jackson Walkers, Garderes, Thompson Knights, although I cannot recall what exactly their cutoffs are). The rest will be smaller firms with practice areas about which I can speak (or pretend to speak) in an interview.

I also have no qualms about doing what is colloquially known as "shit law."

On a related note, I saw on the OCI list that some landman company(/ies) will be hiring. I did a search on this forum and wasn't able to find a lot of chatter about becoming a landman. I'm looking for anyone to shed light on the feasibility of becoming a landman coming straight out of UT. I understand a JD is not required and I am not averse to this fact. I have heard that it can be lucrative but involves considerable travel, neither of which I mind. I wonder if the prospects for this career are expanding given the oil boom in Texas, in contrast to the big law sector in general.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:30 pm

Recent grad here.

I know a couple of people from previous years that are working as landmen. They got those jobs right out of law school. I really don't know much more than that, but I can at least confirm it is feasible and UT law grads can get hired for those jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Recent grad here.

I know a couple of people from previous years that are working as landmen. They got those jobs right out of law school. I really don't know much more than that, but I can at least confirm it is feasible and UT law grads can get hired for those jobs.

UT here also. I have friends that work as landmen straight out of UT undergrad. It's not a job that requires a law degree, although it is probably preferred.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

UT here also. I have friends that work as landmen straight out of UT undergrad. It's not a job that requires a law degree, although it is probably preferred.

JD Underground had a few threads on this. http://www.jdunderground.com/all/thread ... adId=21304

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:15 pm

OP again. Can someone take a look and see if anything looks out of place?

Norton Rose Fulbright (Houston, TX)
Andrews Kurth LLP (Houston, TX)
Locke Lord LLP (Houston, TX)
Bracewell & Giuliani LLP (Houston, TX)
Baker Botts L.L.P. (Houston, TX)
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP (Houston, TX)
Mayer Brown LLP (Houston, TX)
Baker & McKenzie (Houston, TX)
Latham & Watkins (Houston, TX)
McDermott Will & Emery LLP (Houston, TX)
Haynes and Boone, LLP (Houston, TX)
Looper Reed & McGraw, P.C. (Houston, TX)
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP (Houston, TX)
Porter & Hedges, L.L.P. (Houston, TX)
Jackson Walker L.L.P. (San Antonio, TX)
The Lanier Law Firm (Houston, TX)
Jackson Walker L.L.P. (Houston, TX)
Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP (Houston, TX)
Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP (Dallas, TX)
Thompson & Knight L.L.P. (Houston, TX)
Royston, Rayzor, Vickery & Williams, LLP (Houston, TX)
Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (The Woodlands, TX)
Baker & Hostetler LLP (Houston, TX)
ExxonMobil Corporation (Houston, TX)
Winstead PC (Houston, TX)
Winston & Strawn LLP (Houston, TX)
Conley Rose, P.C. (Houston, TX)
Ware Jackson Lee Chambers (Houston, TX)
Statoil Gulf Services (Houston, TX)
Roberts Markel Weinberg P.C. (Houston, TX)
Serpe, Jones, Andrews, Callender & Bell, PLLC (Houston, TX)
Chamberlain, Hrdlicka, White, Williams & Aughtry (Houston, TX)
U.S. Army JAG Corps (San Antonio, TX)
U.S. Marine Corps Judge Advocate (Austin, TX)
U.S. Air Force JAG (Randolph AFB, TX)
U.S. Air Force JAG (Fort Sam Houston, TX)
City of Austin Law Department (Austin, TX)
Strasburger & Price, LLP (Dallas/Collin County, TX)
Cox Smith Matthews, Inc. (San Antonio, TX)
Cantilo & Bennett L.L.P. (Austin, TX)
Munsch Hardt Kopf & Harr, P.C. (Dallas, TX)
Kelly, Hart & Hallman (Fort Worth, TX)
Dentons LLP (Dallas, TX)
Thompson Coe Cousins & Irons, LLP (Austin, TX)
Lloyd Gosselink Rochelle & Townsend, P.C. (Austin, TX)
Jackson Walker L.L.P. (Fort Worth, TX)
King & Spalding LLP (Austin, TX)
Bowman and Brooke LLP (Dallas, TX)
USAA (San Antonio, TX)
Davis, Cedillo & Mendoza, Inc (San Antonio, TX)
Thompson Coe Cousins & Irons, LLP (Dallas, TX)
Slater & Matsil, L.L.P. (Dallas, TX)
Carstens & Cahoon, LLP (Dallas, TX)
Internal Revenue Service – Office of Chief Counsel (Austin, TX)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Being a landman is a great job but if that's the course you want to take then you'd be better off taking a leave of absense from law school. They hire straight out of undergrad and based on what my friends that are currently in the industry have said, a JD doesn't help much. It's good pay though and you do get to travel a lot.

Do you have an interest in O&G? If so you certainly want to play that angle during interviews. Any experience in the industry, even w/ relatives, is a good talking point. Or talk aboug TJOGEL, specific courses at UT, etc.

A12345

Postby A12345 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP again. Can someone take a look and see if anything looks out of place?

If I am actually interested in the JAGs (i.e. I'd probably do a JAG over a smallish firm that pays a little more), do you think I should put them a little higher?

Dentons LLP (Dallas, TX)
USAA (San Antonio, TX)

Lanier firm generally doesn't hire straight out of law school just fyi. carstens & cahoon is IP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:43 am

Hey y'all, transfer here so I feel a bit like I'm working in a vacuum.

Where it says in the packet "Please make sure that you finalize your selections before the application submission deadline," I assume that means review your picks and make sure they're where you want them to be, right? Or is there something you have to click on to affirmatively finalize your picks?

Thanks.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:34 am

Longhorn88 wrote:Being a landman is a great job but if that's the course you want to take then you'd be better off taking a leave of absense from law school. They hire straight out of undergrad and based on what my friends that are currently in the industry have said, a JD doesn't help much. It's good pay though and you do get to travel a lot.

Do you have an interest in O&G? If so you certainly want to play that angle during interviews. Any experience in the industry, even w/ relatives, is a good talking point. Or talk aboug TJOGEL, specific courses at UT, etc.

Note, however, that law degrees do provide benefits down the road if you go the landman route. Speaking with a landman mgr for a major oil firm, he said the vast majority of the guys in his office hold JDs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey y'all, transfer here so I feel a bit like I'm working in a vacuum.

Where it says in the packet "Please make sure that you finalize your selections before the application submission deadline," I assume that means review your picks and make sure they're where you want them to be, right? Or is there something you have to click on to affirmatively finalize your picks?

Thanks.

There is no "affirmatively finalize your picks" button. Unless I've done it wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is no "affirmatively finalize your picks" button. Unless I've done it wrong.

You are correct. I emailed CSO since the noon (original) deadline was fast approaching.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP again. Can someone take a look and see if anything looks out of place?

Off the top of my head, these all seem like too much of a reach for a 3.4, unless maybe you're on TLR or have connections with people at the firm. Don't bother with any that specify top 10% or even 25% -- you're not close enough, and the interviewers will know where the top 25% cutoff is.

Couple other things: Be careful of firms that specialize in IP. Check Chambers for specialty and regional info and good talking points. Also, don't apply to multiple offices of the same firm. With that GPA, you're going to need to convince them that you want to be in a particular city. You'll have a much better chance with Houston than Austin (or probably Dallas).

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:16 pm

philosoraptor wrote:

Off the top of my head, these all seem like too much of a reach for a 3.4, unless maybe you're on TLR or have connections with people at the firm. Don't bother with any that specify top 10% or even 25% -- you're not close enough, and the interviewers will know where the top 25% cutoff is.

Couple other things: Be careful of firms that specialize in IP. Check Chambers for specialty and regional info and good talking points. Also, don't apply to multiple offices of the same firm. With that GPA, you're going to need to convince them that you want to be in a particular city. You'll have a much better chance with Houston than Austin (or probably Dallas).

Good luck!

Too late for these bidders, I believe, but for posterity's sake: I know from personal experience that a 3.4 bidding T&K(H) has a chance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:41 am

OP again. Thanks everyone for the advice. And good luck to every UT 2L reading this. I ended up moving up some of the Houston mid firms. In the end I did not delete some of the bigger names that are reaches because I found that there weren't enough Houston firms to fill all 60 slots. Perhaps I should have only used 30 or 40 bids on the mid or smaller Houston firms, but it is too late to second guess myself now.

Thank God I have no loans because otherwise median would be a whole lot scarier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:

Good luck!

Too late for these bidders, I believe, but for posterity's sake: I know from personal experience that a 3.4 bidding T&K(H) has a chance.

I know of a couple of people with lower than a 3.4 that got T&K Houston without any connections.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

For those of us who are ignorant, what is a landman?

BVest

Postby BVest » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:01 pm

I've never really known what all they do, but basically they get/negotiate the leases for the petroleum exploration companies.

EDIT: Like all questions arising in law school, Wikipedia has a passable answer: --LinkRemoved--)

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:19 am

BVest wrote:I've never really known what all they do, but basically they get/negotiate the leases for the petroleum exploration companies.

EDIT: Like all questions arising in law school, Wikipedia has a passable answer: --LinkRemoved--)

The guys who get Land for the Man, man.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 am

A12345 wrote:

If I am actually interested in the JAGs (i.e. I'd probably do a JAG over a smallish firm that pays a little more), do you think I should put them a little higher?

Dentons LLP (Dallas, TX)
USAA (San Antonio, TX)

Lanier firm generally doesn't hire straight out of law school just fyi. carstens & cahoon is IP.

I am family friends with the Laniers and a friend of mine has been a paralegal there each summer since he was 16. Mark Lanier is an awesome dude, but this is absolutely correct. They rarely (and I'm leaning more towards never) hire anybody straight out of school and honestly I wouldn't waste a bid on them (although they are only coming to OCI round 2, fyi).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:30 pm

emkay625 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

For those of us who are ignorant, what is a landman?

Basically they source mineral rights leases for oil & gas companies looking to produce that property. Most of the work revolves around a few, more complicated leases (and not the simple ones). You spend a lot of your time tracing the ownership of the mineral rights of a property. It's actually a pretty cool job that's quasi-legal. Definitely tests your detective skills and has a bit of a learning curve but not too bad.

Return to “Legal Employment”