Top 3 Students @ T1 Regional - Chances at Big Law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What should I do?

Chill out, you are going to get Big Law.
58%
Transfer to any T14 that admits you.
42%

Total votes: 31

Anonymous User

Top 3 Students @ T1 Regional - Chances at Big Law?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:39 pm

This may seem like a dumb question, but I'm not sure that it is.

I'm top 3 students at a T1 regional that I do not have ties to (aside from Law School of course). The market is large but struggling and notoriously concerned with ties. Is it possible that someone in the top 1% at a T1 wouldn't get a Big Law offer at OCI? Does this happen, or am I being paranoid?

Let me know if you need any additional information.

dixiecupdrinking

Re: Top 3 Students @ T1 Regional - Chances at Big Law?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This may seem like a dumb question, but I'm not sure that it is.

I'm top 3 students at a T1 regional that I do not have ties to (aside from Law School of course). The market is large but struggling and notoriously concerned with ties. Is it possible that someone in the top 1% at a T1 wouldn't get a Big Law offer at OCI? Does this happen, or am I being paranoid?

Let me know if you need any additional information.

It's possible, though you're probably going to be fine.

You're in a similar boat to someone who is maybe, say, a bit above median at a T10 school (as a really rough estimate, before anyone jumps on me to say "no it's more like top 25%" etc.). So the same advice goes for you as for anyone with a pretty good shot at biglaw but doesn't have it in the bag. Apply to your school's market, to your home market or any markets that are plausibly connected to where you're from, and to NYC, at a minimum.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:41 pm

It's possible, but less likely than if you transfer to a t14. If I were you I would spend energy focusing on interview skills, getting good outfits together for OCI, stuff like that. Your grades will not be an issue. Your lack of ties will not be an issue. As long as you are a decent interviewer and do not do anything weird/abnormal you are essentially a lock to get big law.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:42 pm

Since you don't have ties and don't seem interested in the school's market, I'd say your odds are better if you transfer.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Do you have a scholarship at your current school? If so, how big is it?

If you're paying sticker and your school places something like 5-10% at NLJ firms then transferring might make sense for the marginally better OCI odds you'd see at a better school. I say marginally because if you're 3rd in your class your odds are already better than 50% of getting something (although not a lock) and even transferring to Columbia wouldn't make you a stonecold lock. OTOH, if you're on close to a full ride at the current school then paying sticker for 2 years at a new place might not be worth it.

Also, you might as well post the school you're at since it's anon. Big difference between chances for biglaw at Colorado vs. SMU, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:46 pm

OP here.

What if I love the market I am (and would be thrilled to work here, at least in the short term), and can't stand the idea of NYC or my home market, but would like a little bit of national flexibility as there are other markets I'd enjoy.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:49 pm

The person above asks a key question that I forgot about: what are you paying? If you are paying sticker, I'd definitely apply to transfer. If full ride, I think you'd be insane to transfer. In between there could be some close calls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:50 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Do you have a scholarship at your current school? If so, how big is it?

If you're paying sticker and your school places something like 5-10% at NLJ firms then transferring might make sense for the marginally better OCI odds you'd see at a better school. I say marginally because if you're 3rd in your class your odds are already better than 50% of getting something (although not a lock) and even transferring to Columbia wouldn't make you a stonecold lock. OTOH, if you're on close to a full ride at the current school then paying sticker for 2 years at a new place might not be worth it.

Also, you might as well post the school you're at since it's anon. Big difference between chances for biglaw at Colorado vs. SMU, etc.

OP here.

I am paying sticker at my current school. I won't say exactly which school, but its either UF or FSU. So I'm referring to the Florida market. If I transfer I'd be looking at increasing my COA from ~70K to ~120K.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:Do you have a scholarship at your current school? If so, how big is it?

OP here.

I am paying sticker at my current school. I won't say exactly which school, but its either UF or FSU. So I'm referring to the Florida market. If I transfer I'd be looking at increasing my COA from ~70K to ~140K.

Cool man, I'd get some apps in and transfer out if you pull anything better than Georgetown (you will). And congrats on the killer grades.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:00 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here.

I am paying sticker at my current school. I won't say exactly which school, but its either UF or FSU. So I'm referring to the Florida market. If I transfer I'd be looking at increasing my COA from ~70K to ~140K.

Cool man, I'd get some apps in and transfer out if you pull anything better than Georgetown (you will). And congrats on the killer grades.

I would generally agree, but a caveat here.

If you don't want NYC or your home market... where do you want to work? A transfer to a T14 school isn't going to open up many new options for you. Your odds are still basically going to be NYC, your home market, and the market where your new school is located—which doesn't really help unless you transfer to NU or UChi (maybe; it's not like Chicago is overflowing with job opportunities). And a transfer will probably work against you as far as Florida goes, since interviewers will wonder why you'd transfer if you wanted to work there.

So I would caution against transferring just to get "national reach," because, really, there aren't all that many national job opportunities in the first place, and being an incoming transfer student at a T14 school won't give you that much of an edge in getting them.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here.

I am paying sticker at my current school. I won't say exactly which school, but its either UF or FSU. So I'm referring to the Florida market. If I transfer I'd be looking at increasing my COA from ~70K to ~120K.

You absolutely have to apply and see what happens. You may be able to negotiate with your school to give you a scholarship if you stay. You may even get them to give you a full ride (but you can't negotiate without an acceptance at a higher ranked school). You may also be able to get some money from a T14 school, but probably not much. If I were you I'd try to stay put and get scholarship from current school since you are in such a good position, and some people transfer to T14 and then strike out.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:27 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:If you don't want NYC or your home market... where do you want to work? A transfer to a T14 school isn't going to open up many new options for you. Your odds are still basically going to be NYC, your home market, and the market where your new school is located—which doesn't really help unless you transfer to NU or UChi (maybe; it's not like Chicago is overflowing with job opportunities). And a transfer will probably work against you as far as Florida goes, since interviewers will wonder why you'd transfer if you wanted to work there.

So I would caution against transferring just to get "national reach," because, really, there aren't all that many national job opportunities in the first place, and being an incoming transfer student at a T14 school won't give you that much of an edge in getting them.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:51 am

It all depends on how much Florida firms care about ties. My understanding is that they care quite a bit (I had a conversation with a hiring partner at W&C who said the Florida office requires familial ties), but still not as much as somewhere like Detroit (not many people will stay put in Detroit who aren't from there). If you don't get Florida biglaw it won't be because of your grades.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:54 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here.

You absolutely have to apply and see what happens. You may be able to negotiate with your school to give you a scholarship if you stay. You may even get them to give you a full ride (but you can't negotiate without an acceptance at a higher ranked school). You may also be able to get some money from a T14 school, but probably not much. If I were you I'd try to stay put and get scholarship from current school since you are in such a good position, and some people transfer to T14 and then strike out.

I've never heard of a t14 giving out merit-based scholarships to transfer students. Need-based aid might be possible though (including the possibility of close to full-tuition if your family is really poor). In any event, definitely apply to higher ranked schools for the purpose of negotiating with your current school.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:32 am

hone your interview skills. your grades are definitely good enough for biglaw. your personality will decide if you get it or not.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:51 am

How has your school not offered you a full-ride the rest of the way? Start filling out applications to transfer, tell the school about it and that price is something that would keep you at their school. My friend did this with his school (similar situation, Tier 1, Ranked #4) and they quickly gave him all the cash.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:44 pm

This is some completely anecdotal evidence, so take it for what it's worth, but I was talking to a recent grad from my T14 this afternoon about SA positions in FL. She said that she had a friend from UF that got no-offered after her 2L SA despite great reviews from the people she worked with. Meanwhile, another friend (at the same firm) from my T14 got an offer despite poor reviews because the firm was afraid that if they no-offered her, grads from our T14 would stop looking there.

Again, anecdotal and may not provide the full picture, but I thought it was worth noting. Firms know that there will always be a line of FL grads out their doors, but they want to remain attractive to the people with FL ties coming back from T14s.

Return to “Legal Employment”