Michigan 2013 OCI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Michigan 2013 OCI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Milbank CB yesterday.

So the tiered callbacks exist?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
oblig.lawl.ref wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How is OCI going for everyone?

There is no way to answer this question. OCI goes differently for different people, and any person's answer for how they think it is going will be colored by selection bias. For example, I could say good because most of the people I hang out with have 9+ callbacks. But, I am guessing this is not the average/median. Someone else might say bad because their close friends have 1 or fewer callbacks. But, again this is probably not near the average/median. People tend to hang out with people similar to themselves, and points of view will be widely distorted based on this.

Terrible, struck out. I have pretty good grades too. Just hoping I can get something via mass mail. I'm jealous of your 9+ callback friends.

Just want to chime in. I struck out as well and I would say that interviews went pretty well. It's not all sunshine and 9+ callbacks over here :cry:

Really sorry to hear and best of luck with the mass mailing. For those that struck out, just curious what market you were bidding on and how many screeners? I didn't strike out but I was damn close, and I had 25 screeners so my overall return was incredibly low. Thankful to have anything at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those that struck out, just curious what market you were bidding on and how many screeners? I didn't strike out but I was damn close, and I had 25 screeners so my overall return was incredibly low. Thankful to have anything at this point.

About that many screeners. Secondary where I had incredibly strong ties and surrounding area. Grades were too heavy to keep me afloat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:02 am

Is there any difference between a "soft rejection" and a "hard rejection"?

Like, if the wording in the email sounds like they really like you, would it be worth it to say something along the lines of 'hey I'm going to be in X city during the week, so I'd love to have the opportunity to meet with you to discuss my candidacy.'

I read someone on TLS do something like that and get a CB out of it.

Or should I just focus on the very few firms from OCI that have yet to ding me (with respect to CB-leveraging)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any difference between a "soft rejection" and a "hard rejection"?

Like, if the wording in the email sounds like they really like you, would it be worth it to say something along the lines of 'hey I'm going to be in X city during the week, so I'd love to have the opportunity to meet with you to discuss my candidacy.'

Or should I just focus on the very few firms from OCI that have yet to ding me (with respect to CB-leveraging)?

Curious about this too. I just received an email ding from a firm I really liked, but it was very personalized... I.e. "I really enjoyed talking with you about your work experience in XYZ field as well as your job this summer at XYZ place. We would love to interview you in our office, but unfortunately we are not in a position to do so at this time."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:09 am

Has anyone received a CB from Bryan Cave - anywhere? or NYC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received a CB from Bryan Cave - anywhere? or NYC?

Received a ding from DC office yesterday via email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received a CB from Bryan Cave - anywhere? or NYC?

Received a ding from DC office yesterday via email.

Received a ding from Chi office yesterday via email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:29 am

Ding from firm I had callback with. I'm totally confused because I thought it went well (sans perhaps one of the interviews). The hiring partner really liked me and they had a higher callback-offer ratio. Wtf! I think I'm a personable person but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I only received three callbacks and I have a good gpa, journal, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Milbank CB yesterday.

So the tiered callbacks exist?

It appears so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:36 am

Anyone hear anything from beveridge and diamonds dc office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ding from firm I had callback with. I'm totally confused because I thought it went well (sans perhaps one of the interviews). The hiring partner really liked me and they had a higher callback-offer ratio. Wtf! I think I'm a personable person but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I only received three callbacks and I have a good gpa, journal, etc.

Sorry to hear that. The callback stage evaluation still seems like a black box, but hopefully your other callbacks work out!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ding from firm I had callback with. I'm totally confused because I thought it went well (sans perhaps one of the interviews). The hiring partner really liked me and they had a higher callback-offer ratio. Wtf! I think I'm a personable person but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I only received three callbacks and I have a good gpa, journal, etc.

Sorry to hear that. The callback stage evaluation still seems like a black box, but hopefully your other callbacks work out!

Do you mind saying which market? Anecdotally I have heard that New York CB-->offer rates are plummeting this year because of the combination of shrinking class sizes and an increase in bidding/applicants, so if its NY it might have something to do with the ratio not matching up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:28 pm

I haven't heard ANYTHING from over half of the firms I interviewed with. What is going on. I am going crazy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you mind saying which market? Anecdotally I have heard that New York CB-->offer rates are plummeting this year because of the combination of shrinking class sizes and an increase in bidding/applicants, so if its NY it might have something to do with the ratio not matching up.

Anon here. I bid on NY. I don't think this is correct.

I heard more U of M kids bid on NY but I think that would only affect their ability to obtain initial screening interviews and callbacks, not offers. I believe that the average number of interviews people who bid solely on NY had was smaller than in previous years. I heard nothing about NY firms cutting back in terms of their associate classes. NALP data shows that a couple here or there may have cut back but most stayed around the same or increased summer associate class size.

oblig.lawl.ref

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't heard ANYTHING from over half of the firms I interviewed with. What is going on. I am going crazy.

That sucks. I've been rejected by 16/18 of the firms I interviewed with. I think your experience is more typical. I'm actually kind of impressed by the speed of my rejections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anon here. I bid on NY. I don't think this is correct.

I heard more U of M kids bid on NY but I think that would only affect their ability to obtain initial screening interviews and callbacks, not offers. I believe that the average number of interviews people who bid solely on NY had was smaller than in previous years. I heard nothing about NY firms cutting back in terms of their associate classes. NALP data shows that a couple here or there may have cut back but most stayed around the same or increased summer associate class size.

My "anecdotal evidence" wasn't from Michigan students, it was from friends at NYU/Columbia who said that the number of people they knew who were 0 or 1 for ~10 callbacks was unusually high and that it seemed as though firms were calling back a far higher number of people relative to their hiring needs than normal. It could be that class sizes are shrinking and callback amounts remain the same, or vice versa. But this may not affect Michigan students that much anyway since i'm sure firms put a little more thought into the callbacks that are going to cost them ~$1000 than the ones that don't cost anything.

Again, totally anecdotal, but thought it was relevant to pass on given the OP's situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Has anyone heard from Powers Pyles?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:02 pm

To those of you interested in Minneapolis market - I interviewed at OCI last year with Minneapolis. My first callback invitation went out around September 7th, so keep patient.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Denver anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there any difference between a "soft rejection" and a "hard rejection"?

Curious about this too. I just received an email ding from a firm I really liked, but it was very personalized... I.e. "I really enjoyed talking with you about your work experience in XYZ field as well as your job this summer at XYZ place. We would love to interview you in our office, but unfortunately we are not in a position to do so at this time."

Well, I have yet to receive a rejection worded that nicely! Are you going to send them an email to leverage a CB or something like that? What's the worst that can happen; would they just possibly get annoyed? In light of some posters here saying that NY CB-to-offer ratio is going down... I'm pretty damn scared right now. I have very few CBs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm pretty damn scared right now. I have very few CBs.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:35 pm

miller canfield (detroit) chi cb by phone and edwards wildman chi cb by email today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:miller canfield (detroit) chi cb by phone and edwards wildman chi cb by email today

What's the word on Detroit firms? Any offers yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:32 pm

has anyone on this thread gotten a rejection email or letter from wilmerhale nyc or wilkie farr nyc?

Return to “Legal Employment”