Michigan 2013 OCI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Michigan 2013 OCI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know someone reported hearing from WSGR SV earlier in this thread but I was wondering whether it was from the IP lit or the corp interviewer (apparently they have the same initials haha)

I'm interested in this as well but would be shocked if the two interviewers were off by this much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:01 am

Has anyone received dings from the following firms for NY? If so, by email or mail and when?

Cadwalader
PH
Latham
Kramer
HaynesBoone
Milbank
Willkie
Gibson
Proskauer
WilmerHale

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received a hughes hubbard CB? and how did it arrive?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else finding the GPA data that OCP gave us to be completely unreliable? As far as my experience is going (bidding NY), it seems to be EXTREMELY deflated based on what firms are going after this year.

I've found the same thing

I've not found this to be true. I have several callbacks where I am below firm median, as do several of my friends. Some NY some other areas of the country. Then again, my data points could mean nothing. This could just be selection bias.

OP here, I should say that outside of New York I haven't found this to be true, i'm mainly talking about New York.

Another data point: I have many callbacks where I'm below median and one V5 where I'm below 25th percentile. All NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Another data point: I have many callbacks where I'm below median and one V5 where I'm below 25th percentile. All NYC.

I have a similar situation outside of NYC. What's your strategy at these places, especially the below 25th? I have a solid number of callbacks but feeling like I can be dinged at most of them for grades is screwing with my head. Should I still be focused on getting more CBs in the sweet spot of high offer ratio and where I'm in grades contention? Or focus on preparing for the ones I have?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:18 am

Since we're doing data points: I have no callbacks from screeners and am above median at almost 75% of the firms I interviewed with. All West Coast. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Another data point: I have many callbacks where I'm below median and one V5 where I'm below 25th percentile. All NYC.

I have a similar situation outside of NYC. What's your strategy at these places, especially the below 25th? I have a solid number of callbacks but feeling like I can be dinged at most of them for grades is screwing with my head. Should I still be focused on getting more CBs in the sweet spot of high offer ratio and where I'm in grades contention? Or focus on preparing for the ones I have?

I am OP of the internal quote. I don't have a strategy for picking up more CBs and have decided not to reach out to other firms while I am in NY. I have CBs at a range of firms including ones where my grades are competitive, so I'm not worried about picking up extra. Also, I think grades will be less of an issue in the CB stage (though I would definitely be prepared to talk about them just in case). The odds of getting an offer from a callback are not 100%, but they're not terrible. The worst odds I know of are at places like DPW, where it's still 50%. Failures to convert a CB to an offer are likely to correlate, so the people that don't get offers at firm X because they are weird in the CB will probably have the same problem at firms Y and Z. Before OCI started, I thought 5 seemed like a safe number of CBs, so once I hit that I stopped massmailing.

I'm K-JD with no WE worth mentioning. AE on a secondary journal. Grades are above median but not stellar by any means. Semi-interesting summer job this summer but I know there are other UMich kids who had the exact same job. Not especially outgoing, but I don't come off as if I live in a cave either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am OP of the internal quote. I don't have a strategy for picking up more CBs and have decided not to reach out to other firms while I am in NY. I have CBs at a range of firms including ones where my grades are competitive, so I'm not worried about picking up extra. Also, I think grades will be less of an issue in the CB stage (though I would definitely be prepared to talk about them just in case). The odds of getting an offer from a callback are not 100%, but they're not terrible. The worst odds I know of are at places like DPW, where it's still 50%. Failures to convert a CB to an offer are likely to correlate, so the people that don't get offers at firm X because they are weird in the CB will probably have the same problem at firms Y and Z. Before OCI started, I thought 5 seemed like a safe number of CBs, so once I hit that I stopped massmailing.

I'm K-JD with no WE worth mentioning. AE on a secondary journal. Grades are above median but not stellar by any means. Semi-interesting summer job this summer but I know there are other UMich kids who had the exact same job. Not especially outgoing, but I don't come off as if I live in a cave either.

also this:
UMich Law Callback Guide wrote: in a call-back interview, it is important to remember that the employer has already decided that the
student has the credentials the employer is seeking; much more emphasis is placed during a callback on determining whether the student will fit into the workplace, in other words, whether there is “chemistry.”
source

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:56 am

Yea. NYC is nice at least for the CB:offer ratio. The firms in the secondary I applied where my grades are competitive had CB:offer rates between 25-33% last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received a hughes hubbard CB? and how did it arrive?

Yes, by phone earlier this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know someone reported hearing from WSGR SV earlier in this thread but I was wondering whether it was from the IP lit or the corp interviewer (apparently they have the same initials haha)

I'm interested in this as well but would be shocked if the two interviewers were off by this much.

It was from the corporate interviewer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:11 pm

Anyone heard either way on any of the GR firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard either way on any of the GR firms?

Nada here. But, I've been told they are notoriously slow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

cbs from varnum on wednesday, warner norcross on thursday via phone

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:12 pm

Anyone heard from TX firms? V&E? Gibson Dunn? Haynes & Boone? Jones Day? Or BB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Be wary of Varnum and their 20% offer rate. Something is clearly not right when you offer only 1 of your 5 SA's a full-time job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:51 pm

Has anybody heard from Jones Day NY?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard from Jones Day NY?

Yea, calls went out on either Wednesday or Thursday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard from Jones Day NY?

Not sure if it helps, but I've heard from Jones Day LA. 2 days after screener.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:28 am

So looks like NY is all wrapped up in terms of CB offers? Really is pretty fast. Now to wait on the snail-mail dings...

ETA: I went 1 for 13 in NY. womp womp.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Be wary of Varnum and their 20% offer rate. Something is clearly not right when you offer only 1 of your 5 SA's a full-time job.

I second the being wary of Varnum. The associates at another Grand Rapids firm I have a connection to speak very poorly of Varnum in general, and of their summer associate program in particular. On the other hand, Warner and Miller Johnson are considered quite reputable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So looks like NY is all wrapped up in terms of CB offers? Really is pretty fast. Now to wait on the snail-mail dings...

ETA: I went 1 for 13 in NY. womp womp.

I wouldn't be so sure. Nobody here has reported hearing from Cleary NY yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:16 pm

Anyone get callbacks from milbank ny or pillsbury ny?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:25 pm

Milbank NY had a callback dinner the night of interviews

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:30 pm

Anyone hear from Edelson or Goldberg Kohn.

Also, if yes to Edelson, mildly curious as to whether or not they contacted you in some non traditional way.

Return to “Legal Employment”