Michigan 2013 OCI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Michigan 2013 OCI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I know OCI tells us not to cancel interviews, but does anyone know the protocol for cancelling if we accept an offer somewhere after the add/drop period has passed? I won't know until after its too late I think, but I figure it would be best to maybe go the day of interviews/contact friends that wanted an interview at the firms and let them know what my time slot was that way they could get a chance to interview there. Seems like a dick move to interview somewhere and take a spot knowing you won't accept.

At this point, I don't think they'll let you drop until after add period is over. It makes very little sense.

gnuwheels

Postby gnuwheels » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:23 am

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:
gnuwheels wrote:
gnuwheels wrote:Does anyone know how likely it is to pick up interviews during the add/drop period? It was my understanding that almost no one got interviews this way, but a friend at Columbia, where they have an almost identical system, says people almost always pick up a few there. Anyone know?

Three more interviews added to my schedule so I guess I answered my own question.

Were they good ones? There was only one I bid on/was at all interested in that was available and I decided not even to bother with it.

I saw Perkins Coie was available but I think it was just a glitch. Whenever a clicked on it said no slots available.

Yea i definitely got some good ones, pretty pleased. I got some of those 'glitches' too but I don't think it was a glitch, I think it just means that the spots open all conflicted with interviews you already had scheduled.

Also, regarding the dropping of interviews, am I correct that this is the first year that OCS is offering the open sign up period? If so I think they screwed up only having the drop period before the add period.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:35 pm

gnuwheels wrote:
oblig.lawl.ref wrote:
gnuwheels wrote:
gnuwheels wrote:Does anyone know how likely it is to pick up interviews during the add/drop period? It was my understanding that almost no one got interviews this way, but a friend at Columbia, where they have an almost identical system, says people almost always pick up a few there. Anyone know?

Three more interviews added to my schedule so I guess I answered my own question.

Were they good ones? There was only one I bid on/was at all interested in that was available and I decided not even to bother with it.

I saw Perkins Coie was available but I think it was just a glitch. Whenever a clicked on it said no slots available.

Yea i definitely got some good ones, pretty pleased. I got some of those 'glitches' too but I don't think it was a glitch, I think it just means that the spots open all conflicted with interviews you already had scheduled.

Also, regarding the dropping of interviews, am I correct that this is the first year that OCS is offering the open sign up period? If so I think they screwed up only having the drop period before the add period.

The glitches were maybe not glitches so much as someone else clicked a second or two before you. In any event, it does not mean all the spots open conflicted with interviews you already had. It let me click through for a firm only to find out that all of the interview spots were grayed out due to conflict. But it did let me click through.

Dunno if this is the first year they're offering sign-up through symplicity? Why do you think that? If it's true, it makes sense why such a dumb procedure is in place.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:54 pm

OCP is, in general, dumb. For all the technology this school has, they can't make the simplest of changes. I'm posting this anonymously in case someone from OCP actually reads this thread.

This morning, I accidentally (my fault, totally) chose the wrong office of a firm. Both the office I selected and the office I meant to select had 6 openings each. Right after I realized my mistake, I reached out to OCP to find out if they could drop my interview with the wrong office and switch it to the right office. Even though OCP confirmed there were still 6 slots available at the office I wanted, they said no, because the "system doesn't work that way." And, because this firm doesn't allow multiple interviews, I can't sign up for the correct office tomorrow because the system won't let me.

Why, when it is something as important as our careers, does OCP basically not give a fuck? The advice I got was: "Reach out to the firm and see if they can help you." Why, OCP? Isn't that what you are here for? I get that I made the mistake, but it shouldn't be that difficult to fix if, when I notified you of the situation, there are still open spots. And, what is worse, I have no interest in working in the office I mistakenly chose, and OCP won't let me drop it. So, now I'm taking up a spot that someone else may actually want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:04 pm

I totally agree, something very similar happened with me and they were unnecessarily unhelpful.

For all the pre-grief they've given us about canceling interviews, they certainly don't make it easy for people to drop interviews they don't want and/or give them to people who might need/want them as the OCI season progresses. I have friends at a peer school who have a 6-day long simultaneous add/drop period, so it's not like OCS is forced into this situation, they created it themselves.

oblig.lawl.ref

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:25 pm

I thought I'd try to bring this back.

Anyone else do any pre-oci cbs yet? I just did one and I found it surprisingly painful. I did not think so many interviewers would hammer me so much. Anyone else have similar experience?

potted plant

Postby potted plant » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:43 pm

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:I thought I'd try to bring this back.

Anyone else do any pre-oci cbs yet? I just did one and I found it surprisingly painful. I did not think so many interviewers would hammer me so much. Anyone else have similar experience?

No cbs yet. I have one tomorrow. In the screener for this firm they asked me zero substantive questions. I think I talked about the weather and clothes. Shockingly that worked out. Probably too much to hope for a similar experience with the cb. Care to share what questions you thought were the most challenging?

oblig.lawl.ref

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Yeah some really hammered on why I was interested in corporate work. I have no experience in corp law--like most people. I found that interest a bit difficult to explain in depth.

Really it was mostly one interviewer that was particularly tough. This one asked pretty substantive questions about the law and essentially asked me to analyze areas of the law I was fairly unfamiliar with. I don't know that they were really looking for a correct answer but it was probably one of those weird questions to see how I responded under pressure.

A couple were also fairly critical of my resume and essentially went through it and kind of like verbally redlined it/marked it up. This wasn't really something new, I've had plenty of interviewers do this in the past but I always find it somewhat uncomfortable.

I wish I could share more but I don't want to overshare and/or potentially out myself.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Didn't get any pre-oci interviews even though I reached out to recruitment at a handful of firms. However, the recruiting staff did tell me that they'd forward my info on to their Michigan recruiting teams and see if they could add me in during OCI. Saw 2 new interviews pop up on my OCI schedule from firms I had contacted. Not sure if it was a coincidence or if the emails helped get me a bump.

Clarification: These were firms that I bid but missed in the lottery.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:16 pm

I've had two so far. One was a pretty intense panel interview at a lit boutique --they grilled me on my undergrad gpa (lol). The other one was pretty laid back. Kinda just felt like I was shooting the shit with everyone. I really want that one badly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:22 pm

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:I thought I'd try to bring this back.

I had one a few weeks ago and it was brutal, but not necessarily because any one person was bad. It was an all day interview (10am to 6pm) and just the monotony of it all was killer. I met with 8 partners individually and 4 associates in a group, and by the time I got to my last few interviews, I was mentally drained. It felt like I kept answering (and asking) the same questions over and over again.

My best advice is to make sure you have a shit ton of questions at the ready to ask when the conversation falls flat or they ask you to ask questions. There is nothing worse than sitting in a room with no good questions to ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:50 pm

last year schulte gave callbacks same day. anyone heard?

Edit: cb via voicemail from my interviewer
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:24 am

Latham cb from interviewer just now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Latham cb from interviewer just now.

Which office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Which office?

NYC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which office?

NYC

I know someone who got a Latham Chi CB yesterday, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:41 pm

Just got a Drinker Biddle Chi CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a Drinker Biddle Chi CB.

Do you mind sharing your stats (generally)?

Anyone else heard from any Chi/Mich firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got a Drinker Biddle Chi CB.

Do you mind sharing your stats (generally)?

Anyone else heard from any Chi/Mich firms?

probably top 25-30%

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:50 pm

Dinged by McDermott Chi via email. Cb from Jenner Chi interviewer just now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:10 am

CB from O'Melveny and K+L Gates yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:51 pm

Have all the Latham CBs gone out? I guess dings will be coming soon... :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CB from O'Melveny and K+L Gates yesterday.

Which K+L Gates office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:07 pm

So I have zero callbacks w/ about 12 screeners done, the bulk of which were on Thursday. Targeting west coast. Nothing to worry about--right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:42 pm

has anyone who went to the gibson dunn dinner friday night heard from them?

Return to “Legal Employment”