Michigan 2013 OCI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Michigan 2013 OCI Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm 100% sure Orrick SF/SV was never coming.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn't saying say were coming THIS year but then pulled out. I'm saying in the past they told me they have recruited at Michigan, but don't anymore.

But yeah, weird.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm 100% sure Orrick SF/SV was never coming.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn't saying say were coming THIS year but then pulled out. I'm saying in the past they told me they have recruited at Michigan, but don't anymore.

But yeah, weird.
I mean, our school's reputation has been going to shit lately anyways. There has been very little "positive" news coming from Michigan in a few years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:51 pm

If you want to work at a firm that doesn't come to OCI, mass mail them. I SA'd at and am starting at a firm this fall with zero Michigan lawyers in my office and like one firm-wide last I checked. Just because they don't come to OCI or directly recruit doesn't mean they've entirely written off Michigan students.

RedSwingline

New

Post by RedSwingline » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:01 am

WTF is going on with all the anon posting? The majority of all the anon posts in this thread have no reason to be anon.

Giving advice about mass mailing and posting that Orrick is not coming are not appropriate uses of the anon feature.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:04 am

Agree with anon posting comment. In other news, bids came back. I got 18! Feel pretty good about that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:05 am

Interviews are up! Was not expecting that. I have 13, which is fair, because I'm missing almost all of Friday. But got all of the firms I was most interested in. SF/SV

RedSwingline

New

Post by RedSwingline » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:20 am

potted plant wrote:Interviews are up! Was not expecting that. I have 13, which is fair, because I'm missing almost all of Friday. But got all of the firms I was most interested in. SF/SV
Thanks for the heads up. 21, here.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:31 am

RedSwingline wrote:21, here.
+1. Got all the ones I really wanted. Pretty pleased.

RedSwingline

New

Post by RedSwingline » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:35 am

BuckinghamB wrote:
I got 13 of my top 15, but missed the one of the firms I wanted most. Hopefully, a spot opens up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:37 am

BuckinghamB wrote:
Nice! You guys are doing way better than me. Sort of confused that I didn't get Paul Hastings SF. Anybody get them for the SF office? Where did you bid them?

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:49 am

potted plant wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:
Nice! You guys are doing way better than me. Sort of confused that I didn't get Paul Hastings SF. Anybody get them for the SF office? Where did you bid them?
I bet you'll be able to get quite a few SF/SV interviews by emailing recruiters your resume/transcript, or by working the hospitality suites.

Also, I just noticed my interviews are extremely backloaded. I have 10 interviews on the last day of OCI. This should be fun.

RedSwingline

New

Post by RedSwingline » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:56 am

potted plant wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:
A friend of mine bid them in their top 10 and did not get them.

RedSwingline

New

Post by RedSwingline » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:57 am

BuckinghamB wrote:
potted plant wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:
I bet you'll be able to get quite a few SF/SV interviews by emailing recruiters your resume/transcript, or by working the hospitality suites.

Also, I just noticed my interviews are extremely backloaded. I have 10 interviews on the last day of OCI. This should be fun.
Yikes! I have 4, 6, 5, 6 interviews, respectively. But, on my last day I have 3 interviews back-to-back-to-back... that's going to be a fun hour. My last hour of OCI, to be sure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:02 am

potted plant wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:
I put them 8th and received a slot.

Question: So I bid almost exclusively SF, and am now panicked I don't have the GPA to break into the SF market. What does the hive think is the gpa cutoff for SF? Trying to gauge how much I should worry.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:06 am

I'm thinking of dropping Irell. I just don't care that much about them and they'll probably ding me anyways.

As for SF grade cut-offs there's no real right answer there but I think you probably want to be above median for the most part to feel secure in your choice. Like maybe 3.3x-ish? Lots of firms will be out of reach there though. Did you bid SV?

Just my thoughts.

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:06 am

BuckinghamB wrote:
potted plant wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:

Jesus, that sounds painful.

Well, with the exception of Paul Hastings, I think I got all of the firms I was seriously thinking about. About half of the top Bay Area firms don't come to OCI so I've been working on getting stuff to them. I have a few interviews coming up, one firm told me to talk to their NY interviewers at OCI, Vague acknowledgments from several other firms that I at least exist and that my emails did not go to their SPAM folder...I'm making it work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
potted plant wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:

Question: So I bid almost exclusively SF, and am now panicked I don't have the GPA to break into the SF market. What does the hive think is the gpa cutoff for SF? Trying to gauge how much I should worry.
The answer to your question is, I think, practice specific. I know from talking to many partners about VC work, they could care less about your GPA and really only care about your passion for VC and your "fit" with the office. I imagine the same thing goes for IP, and possibly some other fields, though I don't know for sure as I'm not interested in other fields.

Anonymous because there aren't many people who are interested in VC, let alone even know what it is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
potted plant wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:

Do you have an IP background? Because that would probably mitigate a lower GPA a fair amount. I agree with Oblig.lawl.ref, above median probably necessary. How does your GPA measure up to the GPA medians listed for the SF/SV firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:19 am

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:I'm thinking of dropping Irell. I just don't care that much about them and they'll probably ding me anyways.

As for SF grade cut-offs there's no real right answer there but I think you probably want to be above median for the most part to feel secure in your choice. Like maybe 3.3x-ish? Lots of firms will be out of reach there though. Did you bid SV?

Just my thoughts.
I bid SV as well. Love both, but prefer the city. 3.3 is lower than I expected; though i am glad to gear it. Some other thread on here was mentioned that SF is a little like DC, as in it's a tough market to crack, and that made me tailspin into sheer panic.

No IP background. Litigation or bust. I feel like the GPA medians are a tough read because of IP people + good/bad economy + small sample size.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
oblig.lawl.ref wrote:I'm thinking of dropping Irell. I just don't care that much about them and they'll probably ding me anyways.

Just my thoughts.
I bid SV as well. Love both, but prefer the city. 3.3 is lower than I expected; though i am glad to gear it. Some other thread on here was mentioned that SF is a little like DC, as in it's a tough market to crack, and that made me tailspin into sheer panic.

No IP background. Litigation or bust. I feel like the GPA medians are a tough read because of IP people + good/bad economy + small sample size.
Yeah well to be fair, I was thinking more like a 3.35 and I'd feel better myself if I was like a 3.4. And some people do say SF is a hard market to crack. Some people also say SV is easier so long as you're interested in the work. Like an anon poster said.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:14 am

BuckinghamB wrote:
+1, got 22, all the ones I wanted, and most I didn't get were ones I just threw in at the end to fill in my list. Didn't get S&C at like 26 or something but I'm completely ok with that after talking with friends there. Do still wanna stop by that hospitality suite for headphones if they still give them out though :lol: Thanks to everyone up here who commented/helped with my list.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gnuwheels

Bronze

Post by gnuwheels » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:12 am

missed mayer brown at 3 (haha) but also got my 27th bid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:32 am

I think it's helpful to post ones we missed for future students. (I know things change from year to year, but it can still be a rough guide.)

22 interviews, bid primarily Chicago with a secondary market featuring 4-5 firms.

Missed:

Katten (3) :cry:
Baker & McKenzie (5) :|
K&L (9)
Bryan Cave (14)
Morgan Lewis (16)
Vedder Price (18)
Alston & Bird (22)
Winston & Strawn (25)

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:45 am

Ah, true. Missed:

Gunderson at 10
A&O at 15
A&P at 23
Milbank at 25
S&C at 26 (random, didn't think it would fill. Really want those damn headphones from their hospitality suite).
Mofo at 28
Wilmerhale at 29
Wilkie Farr at 30

(Last three I kind of just threw in because I felt like I should've filled in my bidlist). Only thing I'm slightly disappointed about is missing gunderson at 10, especially since fenwick doesn't come to campus, but I'm not sure I want to be stuck doing strictly EC/VC work like they do so it worked out.

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:10 am

Well, I have lots of missed interviews so maybe this will be helpful to somebody.

DLA Piper SV (8)
Morgan Lewis & Bockius SF (9)
Pillsbury SF (11)
Ropes & Gray SF (14)
Shearman & Sterling SF (15)
Dechert SV (16)
hogan lovells SF (17)
Mayer Brown PA (18)
Perkins Coie SF (20)
Schiff Hardin SF (21)
Alston & Bird SV (22)
Paul Hastings SF (23)