Michigan 2013 OCI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Michigan 2013 OCI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:14 pm

Lets make it happen, people.

Anonymous User

Re: Michigan 2013 OCI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Interesting day to day to start this. Same day that the firm that has given out more offers to Michigan students in the last 6 years announced it was conducting massive layoffs, and soon after a bunch of firms dropped out of OCI.

But lets hope its only good news from now on. Good luck to everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interesting day to day to start this. Same day that the firm that has given out more offers to Michigan students in the last 6 years announced it was conducting massive layoffs, and soon after a bunch of firms dropped out of OCI.

Which firms dropped out?

oblig.lawl.ref

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:11 pm

hi every1... i'm gunna be bold here and not be anonymous. ;)

also, which firms dropped out!?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interesting day to day to start this. Same day that the firm that has given out more offers to Michigan students in the last 6 years announced it was conducting massive layoffs, and soon after a bunch of firms dropped out of OCI.

Which firms dropped out?

Don't want to out myself cause i've been talking about this with people today, like about specific firms. But just double-check your bid-lists. At least one firm and a particular office of a different firm are no longer on Symplicity. Career services doesn't guarantee once they show up they won't go away, firms get to figure that out, but it was just a little surprising.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:15 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which firms dropped out?

Don't want to out myself cause i've been talking about this with people today, like about specific firms. But just double-check your bid-lists. At least one firm and a particular office of a different firm are no longer on Symplicity. Career services doesn't guarantee once they show up they won't go away, firms get to figure that out, but it was just a little surprising.

I still can't figure out which firms you're talking about...

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which firms dropped out?

Yea, I can't either. They also added a bunch of places in a really foolish way so now I'm just hoping that my list isn't screwed up and I didn't notice. Also to the anon that posted that, how could you be outted by telling us which firms dropped? Even if someone knew it was you, you would just be anon so all they would know is that you post on TLS, which I'm assuming they already know since you're worried about being outted.

While we're on the subject, do people really like call you in real life and tell you they've read a TLS post by you or something (not you in particularly, just anyone in the thread)? I get not wanting to reveal sensitive information sometime, but I also find it hard to believe that someone is willing to spend the time or effort of tracking someone down just to tell them they read something they wrote online.

BuckinghamB wrote:Just in case anyone hasn't seen this yet: http://abovethelaw.com/2013/06/nationwi ... l-gotshal/

Just lol

All I can do is lol breh, just lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which firms dropped out?

Ok That's good. It didnt happen to you. I feel bad now cause I may have been a little over the top, and we might be looking at different markets. Plus these were not by any means major firms. But I did have to replace two or three of my bids so people should just be on the lookout until the deadline. Sorry for creating a panic.

potted plant

Postby potted plant » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:08 am

I have no idea which firms left either, but that's probably just because I haven't spent nearly enough time working on my bidlist.

Anybody want to weigh in on the relative awfulness of me missing all or part of Friday? I have to be somewhere out-of-state Friday evening/Saturday morning. Should I try to fit in two hours of interviews in the morning on Friday? Anybody think that would make a substantial difference? I really do want a job, promise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:16 am

potted plant wrote:I have no idea which firms left either, but that's probably just because I haven't spent nearly enough time working on my bidlist.

Anybody want to weigh in on the relative awfulness of me missing all or part of Friday? I have to be somewhere out-of-state Friday evening/Saturday morning. Should I try to fit in two hours of interviews in the morning on Friday? Anybody think that would make a substantial difference? I really do want a job, promise.

You can't tell which interviews you'll get when until after you get info back from OCS. My suggestion is to miss the thing Friday evening. I know it may seem important now, but this is the one week that actually matters long term.

potted plant

Postby potted plant » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
potted plant wrote:I have no idea which firms left either, but that's probably just because I haven't spent nearly enough time working on my bidlist.

You can't tell which interviews you'll get when until after you get info back from OCS. My suggestion is to miss the thing Friday evening. I know it may seem important now, but this is the one week that actually matters long term.

Sorry, are you trying to say I can't know how much this will affect me until we get the schedule back? Or that I couldn't do interviews exclusively in the morning because I could be scheduled for any time? My understanding was I can put times that I'm not available and will definitely not get scheduled for those times. If I do that I know my chance of getting certain interviews goes down, but they won't give me an interview that I can't make right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:47 pm

potted plant wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry, are you trying to say I can't know how much this will affect me until we get the schedule back? Or that I couldn't do interviews exclusively in the morning because I could be scheduled for any time? My understanding was I can put times that I'm not available and will definitely not get scheduled for those times. If I do that I know my chance of getting certain interviews goes down, but they won't give me an interview that I can't make right?

The first. I just think potentially missing any interviews is an awful mistake

potted plant

Postby potted plant » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The first. I just think potentially missing any interviews is an awful mistake

Fair enough. Thanks for the input.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Last edited by BuckinghamB on Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

FWIW, two years ago few firms actually interviewed on friday and the place was like a ghost town by noon. How many firms are you bidding on that are interviewing on friday? They typically have regions interviewing on the same days so if you're only targeting one city you can end up with most of your interviews over 3 days. It was actually a good day to pick up drop ins because a lot of people cancelled interviews (which pissed OCS off).

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:21 pm

hyakku wrote:Yea, I can't either. They also added a bunch of places in a really foolish way so now I'm just hoping that my list isn't screwed up and I didn't notice. Also to the anon that posted that, how could you be outted by telling us which firms dropped? Even if someone knew it was you, you would just be anon so all they would know is that you post on TLS, which I'm assuming they already know since you're worried about being outted.

Anon should have just named the firms.

potted plant

Postby potted plant » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, two years ago few firms actually interviewed on friday and the place was like a ghost town by noon. How many firms are you bidding on that are interviewing on friday? It was actually a good day to pick up drop ins because a lot of people cancelled interviews (which pissed OCS off).

Well, there are a number of firms doing interviews on both Thursday and Friday. Of those there are four that I'm very interested in. Then there are four interviewing only on Friday that I was considering bidding on, but they're pretty low on my list. Not really strong in the practice areas I'm looking at. Basically, I was just going to bid on them since they're in SF/SV and there are only so many firms from the bay coming to OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:03 pm

What's the deal with the head of OCP leaving RIGHT before OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:58 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Just saw a firm that explicitly states they're not hiring anyone in litigation, yet they still say they prefer moot court experience. Wtf?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:21 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:Just saw a firm that explicitly states they're not hiring anyone in litigation, yet they still say they prefer moot court experience. Wtf?

which firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:39 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:Just saw a firm that explicitly states they're not hiring anyone in litigation, yet they still say they prefer moot court experience. Wtf?

Most of those reqs are garbage form language, I wouldn't rely on them too much.

oblig.lawl.ref

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:46 pm

ITT reckless use of the anonymous feature...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:13 pm

at what percentile does 3.4 put me? I know the cutoffs in the firm profiles aren't to be taken literally but still would like to know appx. where I land.

does OCS release this info?

Return to “Legal Employment”