What is the effect of journal participation on employment?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
guano

Re: What is the effect of journal participation on employment?

Postby guano » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The thing is (and this totally isn't meant as a personal criticism, cinephile, because why shouldn't you be honest about it? and most people do hate LR, so it's not like it seems it would be a controversial attitude), I think it's hard to tell employers you didn't do LR because you didn't want to, because chances are very good that if they hire you, they're going to be asking you to do stuff you don't want to do, and they'll think you'll try not to do it, or will have a bad attitude about it. I think it goes along with the general advice never to be negative in interviews - it's like, you can't say you left your previous job because the boss was an asshole, you have to say you wanted some other amazing opportunity only available elsewhere. So one way to approach LR is to say that you didn't want to do LR because you really wanted to focus your time on moot court/clinic/something else.

(Oh, god, I'm kind of agreeing with guano.)

I left my old job because it sucked and my boss was a bitch to work for.
Never in a million years would I tell an interviewer that, because there is literally no upside to it if they appreciate the candor, and plenty of downside if it creates doubt in their mind about my personality - which is already an uphill struggle for me.

Look at it this way. You wouldn't spend a first date bitching about your ex, would you? (Or, to be more like the original issue, that you don't clean up after yourself, because you don't want to)

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:53 pm

What I mean be being honest is by saying I didn't do the write on competition to begin with. The other alternative is saying I did it but didn't get selected. I don't know which is worse, honestly. But I think saying I didn't do it in the first place because I wanted to focus on other things sounds better than I tried and failed. But who knows what answer they're looking for.

So, I guess my advice is you should do it? Because if you don't, even if you try to spin it and say you wanted to focus on externships or moot court or whatever else, they either think you couldn't get on or you're too lazy to do moot court AND journal AND an externship. It's crazy. I don't understand legal employers, you can't win unless you check all the boxes and do exactly what they did in law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:57 pm

cinephile wrote:What I mean be being honest is by saying I didn't do the write on competition to begin with. The other alternative is saying I did it but didn't get selected. I don't know which is worse, honestly. But I think saying I didn't do it in the first place because I wanted to focus on other things sounds better than I tried and failed. But who knows what answer they're looking for.

So, I guess my advice is you should do it? Because if you don't, even if you try to spin it and say you wanted to focus on externships or moot court or whatever else, they either think you couldn't get on or you're too lazy to do moot court AND journal AND an externship. It's crazy. I don't understand legal employers, you can't win unless you check all the boxes and do exactly what they did in law school.

When you are trying to play the game sometimes you are stuck playing by rules you don't agree with.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:02 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:03 pm

I also never wanted to do journal, so I didn't. It never seemed to impact me at OCI.

But I also never said "I didn't try because it sounds boring..."

Instead I pointed to the other stuff I did and said "with all these other commitments I just couldn't fit journal in..."

Of course, the key is to actually have other commitments...

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:06 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:I also never wanted to do journal, so I didn't. It never seemed to impact me at OCI.

But I also never said "I didn't try because it sounds boring..."

Instead I pointed to the other stuff I did and said "with all these other commitments I just couldn't fit journal in..."

Of course, the key is to actually have other commitments...

Same here. I had other commitments, working 20 hours a week on externships. Never said "it sounds boring" just said it wouldn't build the same skills that getting work experience would.

And yet I had the opposite experience.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:14 pm

Did you do Moot Court? I remember most of the Symplicity postings saying "Law review or Moot Court preferred..." suggesting that, while LR is more preFtigious, there is some degree of interchangeability.

Grades also played a role - if it looks like you could have graded on, it's easier to claim that you're not doing it by choice.

Return to “Legal Employment”