Recent Grad - Any Chance to Move Between V50s (NYC) now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Recent Grad - Any Chance to Move Between V50s (NYC) now?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Strange topic, I know.

Recent grad from a DCNG here. I summered last year at a V50 in NYC, primarily working on the firm's corporate matters and enjoying the glory days as a Summer Associate. Got offered and currently scheduled to start work in the Fall. Summer was great, people were great, can't complain too much. To preempt the questions: I did not get a No Offer or a "Cold Offer" and the fit (people/environment) were great, I'm just here wondering about the specifics of the work.

Over the course of the past year or so, and in particular the last couple of months, I've found that my mind is already straying to the next thing and my career interests (i.e., practice interests) have become a little more clear; Firm B (also NYC) is better/does more than Firm A (where I am now) in these areas, while Firm A does some, but not as much or high profile...I know, I know, TLS'ers will say I should have been more prudent at EIW/OCI and you'll be partially right, but interests can change over a 2 year period and after 1L it can be hard to decipher the ins, outs and particulars of a corporate practice here versus a corporate practice there based on the usual resources (firm website, Chambers, etc).

We've heard of 3L's "trading up" at 3L OCI, SA's who've been no-offered land on their feet at other Biglaw spots, and firms hiring recent graduates to fill positions as need arises as well. But what about this scenario? Basically what I'm asking is whether anyone has heard of a recent grad changing between firms this late in the game. What would that process look like -- a cold contact with Firm B's Recruiting Department and some networking? Would a move like this now = career suicide? If I'm gonna wait on trying to lateral, what's the optimal time frame to try and just ship to Firm B? Is this just an instance of me starting to get cold feet? If you're a junior associate looking to lateral, what steps can/should you take at your current firm to get to your preferred situation?

Return to “Legal Employment”